Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks to play USD

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
    Whats up with the underlined words and the ad pop ups?
    Aren't any on this site . . . time to run your antivirus/spyware checker?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Whats up with the underlined words and the ad pop ups?
      It's my posts.... they're spam friendly.

Comment

Informed this morning that four year old daughter somehow downloaded Ask toolbar thus causing the problem. Ignore previous post and resume normal business.

Comment

Informed this morning that four year old daughter somehow downloaded Ask toolbar thus causing the problem. Ignore previous post and resume normal business.
          Is that what it is? Thank YOU!!! I have been trying to get rid of it for about two weeks and no matter what spyware I ran nothing would find it....

Comment

So I heard the Jacks paid for this game? I think it was TV I saw that from. I guess I don't agree with that one. Yes it's a non-conference home game that is going to sell out and be a money maker, but really? Pay for a team to travel 100 miles for a game that is going to benefit them a heck of a lot more than the Jacks. No way.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
              So I heard the Jacks paid for this game? I think it was TV I saw that from. I guess I don't agree with that one. Yes it's a non-conference home game that is going to sell out and be a money maker, but really? Pay for a team to travel 100 miles for a game that is going to benefit them a heck of a lot more than the Jacks. No way.
              In understand the frustration, but we needed a game and would have had to pay somebody. We could have paid UNI or somebody, but I like the idea of giving local kids the opportunity (there are plenty of SD kids on USD's roster). There's really no way out of paying for non-conference home games against D1 opponents.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                There's really no way out of paying for non-conference home games against D1 opponents.
                Short of a home and home, which the Jacks weren't interested in (per AJ).

Comment

There you have it. No big deal as far as I am concerned. College athletics have gone down the road of becoming a business and certainly they have open themselves to their critics. The business aspect of athletics is a necessary function to bring alums and friends etc to campus. The fact that it involves USD and their trip is no more than 100 miles really is not a consideration. Its about resuming the competition between the two schools. On the men's side we are paying Southwest Minnesota State University to come to Frost and they are only 40 miles away and they are a lower classification.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                    I would be shocked if this monday night game sold out. It should be a good crowd, I would guess in the 3500 neighborhood, but a sell out is probably a pretty tall order.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

USD would like everyone to think they made concessions and agreed to play in Brookings because they aren't intimidated. In reality, they get a check and only have to travel to Brookings where they get a shot at one of the premier mid-major teams in women's college basketball. Its a win/win for USD. I think its a wash for us.

I agree with JJ, home and home should not be considered at this point. That can wait for the conference season in 2011.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                        It will be interesting to see what the game and atmosphere shapes up to be. I just don't believe this first game will be close to where it left off. At least the crowd will be there for the first half of a women's game now.

I know AJ and the team won't underestimate the yotes. But I'm not going to be suprised if it's not a close game.
                        I think some students show up a little late but the rest of the fans normally get there a couple minutes before game time. They aren't there for 20 minutes of warm-ups but by tip off, they are. It costs $25 for 1 1/2 hours of entertainment so why not be there on time? Especially, if you have to drive from SF or Watertown. I'm not saying it costs too much, I'm just saying if you're going to pay to go, get there and get your money's worth. There are some, but it's not too bad in my opinion. Doubleheaders are worse but some people can't get there early or mainly want to see the men's game so that's different.
                        I think SDSU will concentrate on the NDSU game. They will look at USD on Sunday but put more of an emphasis on the conference game. USD will want to prove that they are about up to SDSU's level so even though it's not a conference game, they will stress it.
                        Last edited by 91jack; 06-16-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

If this game sells out, it's likely to be due to a large contingency of USD fans come in to watch what is likely to be the best team USD plays within a 500 mi radius.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I would say USD has the opportunity to quickly become a WNIT-worthy team (although probably not in 2009-2010). Our women have proven that female athletes from this region are nationally competitive. There's no reason I can think of why USD shouldn't become a solid D1 women's program, probably in the top four of the Summit year-in and year-out. Put together a solid schedule, finish second in the Summit as Oakland did this year and you can expect the WNIT to come calling. The company that runs it knows that WBB is big in this part of the country.
                            This is a really good post.
                            I think it's too early to see what USD will become though. I think you have SDSU, Oakland, NDSU and then it's up for grabs. Will USD and/or UND become the 4th-5th team. I think NDSU's new coach did a great job this year. How will he do recruiting, I don't know but to get the results he did was impressive. Will USD's new coach do the same thing? His recruiting already expanded(area) in his 1st class. That doesn't need to be done but it might not hurt anything.
                            I don't see USD hosting many WNIT games. The dome isn't a fan friendly place to play. I think they'll have bigger schools that will put in better bids. USD can get there in a couple years but hosting might be another story.

Comment

Just to put in perspective how big a deal this game is down in our area (Yankton), I was already approached from our sports editor about helping cover the game, he wants to bring two photogs and one reporter...

Comment

The paper ran a couple of front sports page articles. They talked about the rivalry and how much they missed the competition the last several years. I mentioned to a casual USD fan that I had a hard time considering it a "rivalry" in women's basketball given that we had won something like 21 of the last 22 games. This person, of course, had no idea of the domination demonstrated by the Jackrabbit women. Then, he commented that "USD made it to the DII championship" and asked "has SDSU ever done that?" I just laughed and shrugged my shoulders telling him DII was in the past.

For the record, I think we were 23-2 against USD the last 11 years at the DII level. The 2 losses came in years in which we were 2-1 against USD, losing on their court but beating them each year at home and on a neutral court.

This game is a HUGE deal for USD, not so much for SDSU, at least not if you have any perspective from a standpoint of women's basketball. Perspective, by the way, is a good thing to have.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X