Jacks to play USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks to play USD

I am just curious if this game will create a bump in prices of season tickets. I dont think this game was firmed up when they sent out the price information.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever View Post
      I think as indicated by all the bickering on this thread, THE RIVALRY still exists. My Dad an SDSU alum, yeah he really enjoys the NDSU game atmosphere, the week leading up to the game, and bumping heads with NDSU alums, but he hates The U at an exponentially higher level. The people on this board don't think the rivalry exists, well that speaks for about 200 Rabbit fans. There are how many more people in this state that miss this game, myself included. I can't wait until that week in Feb. I for one am going to embrace both the games that week, NDSU and USD.
      If all that's going to happen is that we're going to get back into the mindless name-calling and squabbling between SDSU and USD then I'd be happier if we never played against them again. Obviously that isn't reality since in most sports we will be conference foes again in the near future.

My thinking on this has progressed in the DI transition process, in no small part because of our upgraded rivalry with NDSU in these years. This rivalry has in my observation been fiercely contested but has not morphed into a sophomoric hate-fest. There seems to be a mutual respect that makes this rivalry take on a brotherly feel.

This is probably too much too ask from people if you feel that you're bred and brought up to hate-hate-hate the Coyotes to the core, but I hope that this renewed rivalry can resume on a more respectful note.

To ridicule and demean your opponent is not an equivalent to supporting your school. I wish that fans on both sides will spend more time supporting their school, their colors, their teams than worrying about being negative toward the opponent.

I'm sure that many will disagree, and feel that hating and chastising the U is a honored tradition that they have been deprived of for too long. Maybe at least from our side we can do our part to make this an intense and enjoyable but humane rivalry in the future.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I am just curious if this game will create a bump in prices of season tickets. I dont think this game was firmed up when they sent out the price information.
        Might actually cause a slight decrease just to entice people to show up
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2009...3794084433.txt

Jeremy at the PND wrote a good article about the game and tradition of the matchup...

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
            http://www.yankton.net/articles/2009...3794084433.txt

Jeremy at the PND wrote a good article about the game and tradition of the matchup...
            I thought this was a good article also. One note...not all SD fans are excited to see the renewal.

Comment

That's to bad....because I'm really looking forward to it....I think it's to early...but since it's done....let the games begin....The SDSU athletes are in for a real treat to experience what a real rivalry is all about.....
              Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
              Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                That's to bad....because I'm really looking forward to it....I think it's to early...but since it's done....let the games begin....The SDSU athletes are in for a real treat to experience what a real rivalry is all about.....
                And the USD athletes have? Your post makes the assumption that the SDSU athletes haven't been involved in a "real rivalry." I think that many would disagree.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  And the USD athletes have? Your post makes the assumption that the SDSU athletes haven't been involved in a "real rivalry." I think that many would disagree.
                  IMO....for a rivalry to exist you need to have somewhat of a balance in winning and losing.....FB just started winning vs. NDSU.....MBB as of late haven't....and NDSU's women haven't come close.......having experienced the USD rivalry as an athlete and a fan....from having carrots thrown at me on the fb field to watching blue&gold spray painted chickens and jackrabbits come out on the BB court...and yes that was the beer bottle game at the U.....Nothing and I mean nothing has even come close to the intensity of those type of rivalry games.....but I think it's coming back....and personally I'm looking forward to it.
                  Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                  Muhammad Ali

Comment

AJ told me early this year, before USD had officially joined the Summit, that he expected to be playing USD in Brookings in 2010. I asked him what he thought about it and he said he was excited to play them again. He told me it was inevitable that they would join the Summit in the near future and that the fans need to get over their hard feelings and start a renewed and more respectful rivalry.

I'll be in Frost when we play USD in February unless some natural disaster occurs or someone gets too sick to allow me to leave Yankton. USD will be putting a decent team on the court this year, better than most schools in transition. They could give us a game, they shouldn't but they could.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I know I am in the minority now, but that is just the way it is. I am sure I will be there for the game, but I have made my feelings known on this topic for some time. I can accept it happening and knew it would come. Still doesn't mean I like it. I do have some underlying reasons that I will have to get over.

Comment

from having carrots thrown at me on the fb field to watching blue&gold spray painted chickens and jackrabbits come out on the BB court...and yes that was the beer bottle game at the U.....Nothing and I mean nothing has even come close to the intensity of those type of rivalry games.....but I think it's coming back....and personally I'm looking forward to it.
                        Sorry, but I'm not looking forward to the way the old rivalry was. I have gone to the USD-SDSU games starting in '88. I really don't miss the atmosphere (knowing something is going to be thrown on the court). And I really hated trying to watch a game at the dome. Nothing wrong with fans getting worked up, but leave the extra stuff at home.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                          Sorry, but I'm not looking forward to the way the old rivalry was. I have gone to the USD-SDSU games starting in '88. I really don't miss the atmosphere (knowing something is going to be thrown on the court). And I really hated trying to watch a game at the dome. Nothing wrong with fans getting worked up, but leave the extra stuff at home.
                          Exactly. Let's hope the Summit League is looking over USD's shoulders. SDSU has certainly tightened things up considerably in the last four or five years. Time for USD to step up and control their venue.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

a lot of you dont like the rivalry because of the things thrown on the floor. a couple minutes of the night and that ruined it all for you? what about the excitement of the game that was 40 minutes long? im excited for it. if something get thrown on the floor, so be it. its not going to ruin the excitement of beating the coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                              a lot of you dont like the rivalry because of the things thrown on the floor. a couple minutes of the night and that ruined it all for you? what about the excitement of the game that was 40 minutes long? im excited for it. if something get thrown on the floor, so be it. its not going to ruin the excitement of beating the coyotes.
                              It's so unsportsmanlike!
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                                It's so unsportsmanlike!
                                I don't know . . . I'd rather watch the players play than drunk students compete to see how obnoxious they can be . . . call it a personal quirk of mine . . .
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X