Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks to play USD

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    It's more of a nice gesture on USD's part to play in a game that will draw 5,000 vs a so so unknown that might draw 1500.
    C'mon, you can't be serious. We have nothing to gain by winning this game. You guys have nothing to lose. The women probably will draw more given that it's USD, but we draw well anyway so it's not like the money is necessarily worth it. Also, if we lose to you it messes up RPI and chances at postseason...potentially. Don't try to convince us that you're doing us a favor.

Comment

I know this is a SDSU board but actually it means less to USD. They are not post season eligible and SDSU is, so if the Jacks lose the game it might be the difference between a post season at large bid or not. It won't mean anything to USD as far as post season. The SDSU game for USD is also nothing more than a non conference game. Since USD at least has a conference title to be competing for hopefully they will focus most of their attention towards their conference season. It's more important for SDSU to beat UMKC and more important for USD to beat Texas Pan American.
      Exactly my point...we're doing you a favor by scheduling this game. You're right a loss means a lot to us...however, a win means nothing.

Comment

I know this is a SDSU board but actually it means less to USD. They are not post season eligible and SDSU is, so if the Jacks lose the game it might be the difference between a post season at large bid or not. It won't mean anything to USD as far as post season. The SDSU game for USD is also nothing more than a non conference game. Since USD at least has a conference title to be competing for hopefully they will focus most of their attention towards their conference season. It's more important for SDSU to beat UMKC and more important for USD to beat Texas Pan American.
        Agree with this statement completely. For this year, at least, you're in the Great West and should concentrate on your own conference as should SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Saturday night, conference game, against the new rival NDSU vs. a Monday night game against an over matched non-conference USD. I would take that bet.
          We'll see, but I think anyone who dismisses the signficance vastly underestimates the revival-of-rivalry aspect of it. It might be different if it were the start of an ongoing home-and-home series, but it's one game for now, so it stands alone. You might not recall how huge any State-U games used to be, and now that SDSU women have national D-1 prominence, it adds a layer of intrigue and complexity that wasn't there before. In-state media attention will be pretty big.

Comment

USD owes SDSU nothing.
            Agreed. SDSU owes USD nothing either. Keep that in mind about football, too.
            This space for lease.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what the game and atmosphere shapes up to be. I just don't believe this first game will be close to where it left off. At least the crowd will be there for the first half of a women's game now.

I know AJ and the team won't underestimate the yotes. But I'm not going to be suprised if it's not a close game.

Comment

A lot will depend on which fans attend this game. If it happens to be the ones who liked getting rowdy in years past, it will be a senior citizen sort of rowdiness. If it happens to be the ones who want to see if the crazies show up, and the crazies don't show up, it will be a quiet and subdued crowd.

The game will be an interesting one. For the Coyotes, it will be anticipatory of the conference affiliation of the future in addition to seeking out a rival. They have had no real rival for several years. These things should inspire a predictably respectable USD team. The Jackrabbits will hopefully be looking at a top seed in the conference tournament and will have to be careful not to look beyond some very hungry canines.

If I looked correctly, the date is a Monday holiday in February. If eastern South Dakota is having typical February temperatures and is fortunate enough to have dry roads and safe winter travel conditions, will the out of town fans make the trip? It's highly unlikely that I'll make the 750 mile round trip, but what about the fans from the Sioux Falls and Vermillion areas? Will very many out of town USD fans make the effort to make the trip?

I am in favor of this game being played ,and as with all games, I would like to be there. I assume that I'll be watching on a herky-jerky computer feed unless somebody puts together a statewide TV package.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

In some regards, this will be a measure for the Coyotes on where their program is, quality-wise. Jacks have shown that you CAN have great success in transition. Our game vs. Baylor (2005/2006) showed how far we needed to go to join the "elite" (top 40, year-in/out). Because of that game, Jacks learned a LOT about themselves.

Coyotes finished their last year in D-II playing for the national D-II title, a similar situation to the Jacks transition. With this game they will get a sense of where they are in a) the best of the Summit (their upcoming conference), b) relative to the elite (as a top 40 program). This is a bit of a trap game for the Jacks, but should actually be better for their RPI than playing the lower 2/3rds of the Summit. Will be a great gate, it's a one-n-done at Frost, and should be pretty good basketball. Jacks should win this, but they'll need to approach it as the rivalry game that it is, and start like they did vs. TCU in the NCAA this year.

Comment

**smack/ad hominem deleted by filbert**

Behave.
                    Last edited by filbert; 06-05-2009, 12:03 PM.
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      In some regards, this will be a measure for the Coyotes on where their program is, quality-wise. Jacks have shown that you CAN have great success in transition. Our game vs. Baylor (2005/2006) showed how far we needed to go to join the "elite" (top 40, year-in/out). Because of that game, Jacks learned a LOT about themselves.

Coyotes finished their last year in D-II playing for the national D-II title, a similar situation to the Jacks transition. With this game they will get a sense of where they are in a) the best of the Summit (their upcoming conference), b) relative to the elite (as a top 40 program). This is a bit of a trap game for the Jacks, but should actually be better for their RPI than playing the lower 2/3rds of the Summit. Will be a great gate, it's a one-n-done at Frost, and should be pretty good basketball. Jacks should win this, but they'll need to approach it as the rivalry game that it is, and start like they did vs. TCU in the NCAA this year.
                      Very well put my rabbit friend. Great analogy, and right on the money.

Comment

If USD gets a fair scheduling deal I will go to the game in Brookings but if USD is going to sell themselves out for a one game only contract I will not be attending that one. If I don't go to the game in Brookings I will make it a priority in 2010 to come to a game in Vermillion that I would not have otherwise attended against another school just for principal's sake. I am not gonna sell out as a fan for a game that will be/was set up based on inequality. USD owes SDSU nothing.
                        Yote, this is the same forward thinking that has USD still in transition. While the Jacks have played in two WNIT tournaments and one NCAA tournament. Not to mention winning the Summit League twice and the Summit tournament once.

You are an independant at this time and you take any game your athletic department can schedule. You are correct in saying USD owes SDSU nothing. However, USD owes your student athletes plenty. I have also read that this game means nothing? Its a win or a lose, its a chance at the WNIT for USD or SDSU. Its an opportunity for SDSU to move forward with another NCAA appearance. As a fan you attend athletic events to support your team. Lets see was the NC game a one and done? Where was the balance with that game?

GBGBGJ

Comment

USD owes SDSU nothing? Good grief. The Board of Regents ordered SDSU to assist USD through the transition process. So, the good folks in the SDSU athletic department have held their noses and have spent lots of time helping USD officials get through this. True.

Comment

I think as indicated by all the bickering on this thread, THE RIVALRY still exists. My Dad an SDSU alum, yeah he really enjoys the NDSU game atmosphere, the week leading up to the game, and bumping heads with NDSU alums, but he hates The U at an exponentially higher level. The people on this board don't think the rivalry exists, well that speaks for about 200 Rabbit fans. There are how many more people in this state that miss this game, myself included. I can't wait until that week in Feb. I for one am going to embrace both the games that week, NDSU and USD.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                              This is a bit of a trap game for the Jacks, but should actually be better for their RPI than playing the lower 2/3rds of the Summit.
                              I agree with most everything else you posted, but I think this is the wrong comparison. In RPI terms, this game should be viewed by how it compares with other non-conference opponents that could have been scheduled for a home date. I know that is hard to do since we don't know who else the Jacks had talked with, but the comparison should be made to our OOC schedule, not the in-conference. Minor point maybe, but our OOC schedule is a big factor in the seeding we will get if (should be when) we win the Summit League Tournament again.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever View Post
                                I think as indicated by all the bickering on this thread, THE RIVALRY still exists. My Dad an SDSU alum, yeah he really enjoys the NDSU game atmosphere, the week leading up to the game, and bumping heads with NDSU alums, but he hates The U at an exponentially higher level. The people on this board don't think the rivalry exists, well that speaks for about 200 Rabbit fans. There are how many more people in this state that miss this game, myself included. I can't wait until that week in Feb. I for one am going to embrace both the games that week, NDSU and USD.

great post. ive been a rabbit fan for 35 yrs and cant wait for feb 15. im not one of the 200 you are talking about. im one of the 1000's that will be in attendance ready to kick some coyote butt.

Comment

Working...
                                X