X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jacks to play USD

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    So what you're saying is

USD has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

SDSU has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Isn't that pretty much the premise of every post saying this game means little to SDSU?
    No, from the context of "SDSU has everything to lose and nothing to gain" , it puts way more pressure on us to win, which means the game means alot for SDSU in that regaard.This is getting cloudy for me , it does & it doesn,t , depending in context to what? Do you mean maybe we shouldn't of scheduled the game with nothing to win & everything to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
      Yes, except for the last line. Because if SDSU loses, it will probably mean quite a bit.
      True but you can say that about any loss that we might have. When you are elite every loss can hurt your seeding in the NCAA Tourney. Every win or lose is important to us, so evey game is important. I agree with 1stRow, the Jackrabbit Nation will judge this team's success by how they do in conference and the NCAAs not by how they do against USD. USD can make their season with a win over us. I will bet there are some Yote fans who would gladly take a L on every other game if it meant a W vs. our Jacks. This game is a much bigger deal for USD then it is for us.

Comment

wouldn't you also agree that a loss would be a bigger deal for SDSU than it would for USD?
        Bearing in mind that I've got no particular connection to the WBB program, and therefore do not mean to come off cocky, arrogant, etc.... Because, after all, I've got no skin in this game....

That's just not going to happen.

In the strictly theoretical 'In theory, Marge, in theory Communism works' sense, yes, a USD win would be far more significant than an SDSU win, but it is just not going to happen.

SDSU goes on to every court expecting to win--Frost more so than anywhere else. In the past three years, two teams have beaten SDSU at Frost. Marquette and Creighton.

With all due respect for what USD did at the DeanDome (I was following the live stats & Mick's blog almost from opening tip), they simply are not going to win at Frost.

Comment

I think i'll just go to the game & enjoy it

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, my original statement still stands for me:

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            My guess is that the Coyotes will come out sky-high and play exceptionally well. The only question is if they'll have enough to make it a full game vs. the Jacks. I think it would be a MAJOR mistake to underestimate the Yotes in this game.
            I've declared independence from the panties-in-a-bunch crowd on THE RIVALRY. (Except for occasionally, gently mocking it and those on both sides who take it way, way too seriously, of course.)
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Another perspective alert, primarily for coyote fans. The point I was making about the the domination by SDSU the last 11-12 years (the stats are accurate check your media guide or just remember if you actually paid any attention) of the "rivalry" was more to point out the fact that most, and I mean by far the majority of USD fans, have no idea what was going on with their women's basketball program or SDSU's women's basketball program when SDSU and USD were both DII. The run USD made at the DII title peaked the interest of a few but most didn't bother to understand anything about the history of the NCC and women's basketball except that USD wasn't a factor at all.

Now, because its in the best interest of USD and according to some the state of SD all of the SDSU fans, players and coaches are suppose to bend over backwards and pretend the game is something more than it is. And what it is, is a non-conference home game against a team with a very low RPI that we are expected to win in a walk. Thats it kids, thats what AJ and the women are looking at. You can tell yourself its a lot more and make all sorts of remarks about my motivation but you can't disagree with that fact. Sure, some fans see it with a lot more emotion and will be happy to chirp about a stunning upset by the coyotes. Well, those people have nothing to lose and they know that. When SDSU wins the game they just say things like "we'll get better and compete eventually" or "SDSU should have won" or some other comment that discredits the SDSU program.

Now, I'm glad that USD is aspiring to be a competitive DI program. Playing teams like SDSU on the road is one of the first steps toward gaining credibility at this level. So, this is a game that should happen because there aren't a lot better options for a home game against a regional team for SDSU and because it is a great game for USD.

Lastly, you could be this critical of almost every game on the schedule and clearly this game recieves much more focus. That much I will admit lends itself toward some credibilty for the rivalry label.

Did everyone forget how bad USD's women's program was the last 10 plus years SDSU was in the NCC?
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

While I agree with your point 1stRow, that a win would be a bigger deal for USD than it would for SDSU, wouldn't you also agree that a loss would be a bigger deal for SDSU than it would for USD?
                This is an interesting comment. I think you can rate the 4 options.
                1) Most important thing would be a USD win. They would have beaten a rated(maybe) team on their home court. That team is their rival. I know recruiting has factors like majors, friends and relatives schools, coaches, players on the team, depth at your position, closeness to home, etc... but right now SDSU has more to offer. A USD win won't put them where SDSU is but it's a feather in their cap. USD would come into the Summit after winning in Brookings where most teams haven't done that in 4 years. This could help USD get an at large bid to the WNIT(They can this year, right?) Beating a ranked team(if) on the road would be by far their biggest win of the season. I don't see the WNIT but it could happen.
                This one is the biggest by far.
                2) SDSU loses. As long as SDSU wins the conference and conference tourney, this would only hurt their seeding in the NCAA tourney. This lose could knock them out for an at large tourney birth but that depends on how SDSU does against the other teams on their schedule. SDSU will probably be seeded around where they were last year so this might only effect 2 or 3 seeds.
                3) USD loses. USD can move on and still win their conference. I don't think their schedule will get them in the WNIT but a lose to a top RPI team on the road won't hurt much.
                4) SDSU win. Should happen and there's not much of an up side to this.
                I agree with Filbert but this is how I rank the order of importance.
                Last edited by rabidrabbit; 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Did everyone forget how bad USD's women's program was the last 10 plus years SDSU was in the NCC?
                  Yes we had some dark days in there, but just as your mens team is proving now, teams can eventually turn the corner. Have you forgotten how competitive the USD women were in the last 4 years you were still DII? From 00/01 to 03/04 our overall record was 85 and 36 including 44 and 22 in the conference. Yes we only one 2 of the 10 games played against State in that time period. However, one of those losses was in the Regional title game when you won the entire thing. USD must not have been all that bad! We also made the regionals another year in that time frame.

All these comparisons of records and past strength mean nothing. This is a what have you done lately business......and you have done alot! Hopefully we will have a good schedule (it hasn't been released yet) and compete well in it. Maybe then we can have an RPI that will help you, or at least not hurt you any more than some of the lower Summit teams.

Comment

Originally posted by yotefan90 View Post
                    All these comparisons of records and past strength mean nothing.
                    When did this turn into a Coyote football thread? I kid, I kid.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

While I agree with your point 1stRow, that a win would be a bigger deal for USD than it would for SDSU, wouldn't you also agree that a loss would be a bigger deal for SDSU than it would for USD?
                      Maybe is about all I can say; how the rest of the year goes is the big factor. About the best way I can put it is if we look at last year and swap the Oakland loss for USD. Would the seed in the tournament been any different? MAYBE we go down one spot, but probably not. So in that case, a loss for USD and SDSU means about the same to each team.

Now if you get realistic about it and realize it is unlikely to have only 2 losses going into the tournament for a 2nd year in a row, the question comes down to how much the loss affects SDSU's seeding in the NCAA. If we have a bad season and just squeak into the NCAA's, the loss probably doesn't change our seeding. Oh, and in this scenario the loss to USD would not be what made it a bad season.

A loss to USD and not making the NCAAs: that loss alone won't keep us out of the tournament, but if we need an at large bid it could affect seeding. A 28-2 season and the loss doesn't affect us much; an 18-12 season, may affect seeding some, but likely that the other 11 losses would affect seeding/bid as much as the USD loss. This situation requires that the team doesn't achieve it (or its fans) main goal: winning the conference tournament. The USD loss won't be in the conference tournament, so it wouldn't be the worst loss for us.

It seems to me that I should be saying that the loss wouldn't be a much bigger deal to SDSU, but I can't because I don't see how a loss is any deal to USD.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        As far as I'm concerned, my original statement still stands for me:

I've declared independence from the panties-in-a-bunch crowd on THE RIVALRY. (Except for occasionally, gently mocking it and those on both sides who take it way, way too seriously, of course.)

Hmmm, wish I'd have thought of that as a board name before NoVa.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Hmmm, wish I'd have thought of that as a board name before NoVa.
                          I can change it for you, if you want . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            When did this turn into a Coyote football thread? I kid, I kid.
                            Our board sucks so we have to use your board for the banter. haha

You want to play everything in Brookings, so we might as well use your board. (big 'ol smile here)

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

You want to play everything in Brookings, so we might as well use your board. (big 'ol smile here)
                              Good one!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

Haha, wow. Nice response. Clever.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X