AP poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AP poll

Respect will come after "Cinderella" makes her run.

Until then, we are just Dakota Territory something or other University. A few good runs in the big dance and we will get more attention from the pollsters and from the recruits.
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
      Updated: 12/01/2008 - 3:33 PM
      , lost a close game to #8 Maryland without our regular starting point guard. Hopefully we will start getting more respect as the season goes on.
      Should having a hurt player really be a factor? I would guess no. Because for a few reasons, the biggest reason is that the team is still without her.

Agree with everything else though.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
        Respect will come after "Cinderella" makes her run.

Until then, we are just Dakota Territory something or other University. A few good runs in the big dance and we will get more attention from the pollsters and from the recruits.
        I agree, as we win more games against better opponents, we will start to be recognized. In the defense of some of the voters, who ever heard of SDSU till 4-5 years ago...We need to make our own mark. Don't make excuses or reason why we are not higher in the polls, just go out and get some wins and the rest will come.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamPlayer View Post
          Little respect is being shown to SDSU when Wisconsin, whom SDSU thumped by 20, is receving more votes in the AP then the Lady Jacks. I wonder how many teams in the AP poll have played the quality of teams that SDSU has thus far?
          The Jacks win over Wisc was excellent and well help the Jacks RPI. So will the Wisconsin win over #4 ranked Baylor last week. Another of the Jacks victums was Utah which just beat Marquette which was and still is receiving votes as a top 20 pick. ( I think )? Our conference schedule will not help us build RPI / rankings. Clearly we need to win inside of our conference - But some huge upcoming games vs quaility teams such as the Gophers and Gonzaga would do us wonders. First and foremost we need to take care of business this week at home vs Centenary and Oral Roberts. Going to be interesting to see just how much support the lady Jacks get at home? One would think attendance would be excellent.

GBGBGJ

Comment

ESPN THREAD:

Under the radar: South Dakota State 80, Oregon 63.

My most vivid memory of South Dakota up until now came from driving cross-country with a friend and finding our license plate effectively redacted by a black coating of mosquito carcasses after a day of driving on I-90 (trust me, way more memorable than Mount Rushmore and light-years ahead of Wall Drug). So here's a hearty thanks to the South Dakota State Jackrabbits for providing something else to associate with the state.

The Jackrabbits (a name that is just fun to read) rolled over Oregon on Sunday. In and of itself, that's not a huge deal -- Oregon isn't going anywhere in the Pac-10 -- but the win improved the Jackrabbits (see?) to 4-0 after earlier wins against Missouri, Wisconsin and Utah. The team returned a lot of talent this season (its first of postseason eligibility), but redshirt freshman Jill Young has stolen the show early, leading the team in points per game. (She missed the opener.)

Hopefully, more to come on them in the coming days.

Comment

We are receiving 11 votes in the ESPN\Coaches poll. Wisconsin is not receiving any.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/rankings

I am guessing that if we can beat Minnesota and Gonzaga on the road we could move into the top 25 but if we lose we could fall out for the year.

Comment

IN the AP poll, one guy from OK has Wisconsin at 15 and doesn't have us rated. Another gal has them at 17 and I think we were at 23. I can't remember where she was from. Obviously, the vast majority of voters don't have either of us rated.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Jacks may not be in the top 25 (yet), but they're being noticed by a LOT of outside news organizations.

Here's the St. Louis Post-Dispatch article

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

AT HOME IN DIVISION I

South Dakota State is in only its fifth year at the Division I level, but the Jackrabbits already are knocking on the door of the top 25 with a 6-1 record. Their only loss came by 12 points against No. 8 Maryland, and they have defeated four opponents from BCS conferences, including 2008 NCAA Tournament qualifiers Utah and Montana.

Coach Aaron Johnson led SDSU to the Division II national championship in 2003, and the program moved to D-I in 2004-05. In the first five seasons, the Jackrabbits have a 94-30 record and won the Horizon League in 2007-08, their first year as a member.

RR comments - Other than having Jacks in wrong conference pretty good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    Jacks may not be in the top 25 (yet), but they're being noticed by a LOT of outside news organizations.

Here's the St. Louis Post-Dispatch article

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

RR comments - Other than having Jacks in wrong conference pretty good stuff!
                    Yeah, they spelled the coaches last name wrong too, but its just one letter.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Yeah, they spelled the coaches last name wrong too, but its just one letter.
                      Heck, we have SDSU supporters that spell it wrong!!

Comment

how many potential losses could they have barring a huge letdown in confrence with the remaning schedule? I dont see many if any. It would be hard to run the table but that would sure get a lot of attention going into the post season. Maybe not getting respect now will allow other teams to over look us come tourny time which could be a good thing.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          how many potential losses could they have barring a huge letdown in confrence with the remaning schedule? I dont see many if any. It would be hard to run the table but that would sure get a lot of attention going into the post season. Maybe not getting respect now will allow other teams to over look us come tourny time which could be a good thing.
                          WBB has two critical games next week vs teams higher rated than Jacks, and both those games are away. Looking at Sagarin - Jacks are 39.

Sagarin 38 U of MN - Tues.
                          Sagarin 11 Gonzaga - Fri.

So these are the ONLY two games that can directly help Jacks move UP. At this point, most of our opponents here on out will be above 100 RPI, so we can't afford to lose other than these two games.

If Jacks are 27-3, 29-1, and lose in the final (God forbid) Summit tourney game, we may still have a shot at an at-large. Given our OOC, IF these opponents have successful seasons, then we could be a 7-9 seed (assumes win of Summit).

What is the highest seed that the Summit/MidCon has ever had?

Comment

Ask and you shall recieve. The highest seed in the NCAA tourney was in 1994 I believe and it was Northern Illinois at #11. There has been a 12 seed, I think a 13 and 14 and all the rest are either 15 or 16's. One team has made it beyond to the second round.

Comment

Good information SturgisJeff....We all wish we could be ranked higher based on the teams we've played and beaten. I'd like to see us in the top 25. Fact of the matter is that if we don't beat both Gonzaga and Minnesota, we won't get ranked this year, even if we run the table in the Summit.

I truly do think that SDSU women's team can be the Gonzaga men's team of women's college basketball. They play anyone anywhere at all times. We kind of have that mentality and the coaches to put it together and lead the team.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                                Good information SturgisJeff....We all wish we could be ranked higher based on the teams we've played and beaten. I'd like to see us in the top 25. Fact of the matter is that if we don't beat both Gonzaga and Minnesota, we won't get ranked this year, even if we run the table in the Summit.

I truly do think that SDSU women's team can be the Gonzaga men's team of women's college basketball. They play anyone anywhere at all times. We kind of have that mentality and the coaches to put it together and lead the team.
                                I could not agree more about the women are like gonzagas men. They will be competing against and beating ranked teams from major confrences regularily i feel. Hopefully the men can get close to that status in the future as well. Then other teams would strive to be the SDSU's and not the gonzagas of mid majors.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X