AP poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: AP poll

I posted in the Minnesota game thread, but AP poll voter Mechelle Voepel (now of ESPN, once of the K.C. Star) already has us at #25. (Wouldn't be surprised if she moves us up for next week's poll.)

http://voepel.wordpress.com/2008/12/...tter-or-worse/
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Not the AP poll, but ESPN columnist Graham Hays has us as the #3 mid-major (Gonzaga #2).

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Not the AP poll, but ESPN columnist Graham Hays has us as the #3 mid-major (Gonzaga #2).

I have a lot of confidence in this team...but know that Gonzaga is much better than Minnesota, so it will be a tough game on the road there. Regardless of the outcome, if the Jacks play tough, I don't think a loss to a top 10 team would keep us out of the top 25. GO JACKS...let's get one more "killer" Friday night!

Comment

Sagarin's Rating as of 12/10 - Incorporates SDSU over MN

11 Maryland
          18 SDSU
          24 Gonzaga
          43 Minnesota
          46 Montana
          49 Wisconsin
          53 Utah
          64 Valpo
          157 Oral Roberts
          149 UC Davis
          127 Oregon
          164 Illinois
          170 Oakland
          175 NDSU
          200 IUPUI

Jacks are 3-1 vs top 50, and 0-1 vs top 25. Keep knocking teams out of top 25!

Comment

The Jacks have to come out to play on Friday night. It is their last real chance to make an impression before conference play. Although I think that beating the tar out of our conference will have a little pull, beating what some say is a top 3 mid-major on their own court will prove much more.

Although it would be great to be listed in the Top 25, I am more concerned with beating Gonzaga to improve our RPI for the tournament.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              The Jacks have to come out to play on Friday night. It is their last real chance to make an impression before conference play. Although I think that beating the tar out of our conference will have a little pull, beating what some say is a top 3 mid-major on their own court will prove much more.

Although it would be great to be listed in the Top 25, I am more concerned with beating Gonzaga to improve our RPI for the tournament.
              Gonzaga is the 2nd most difficult opponent we will face this regular season. A win for the Jacks should cement in a top 25, as no one should win against SDSU after this game. Unfortunately, our RPI dips from games vs top 100 (OOC schedule) to at best 120/150, with the bottom teams in the 300's in conference, so no shot to advance based on league play for rpi. A loss would knock Jacks out of top 25, but they would likely stay in the 30's with no more losses.

With 3 Big 10 opponents, and wins, it will be interesting where those three end up in the Big 10 standings, and come tourney time. IMHO, Jacks if they are either one or a two loss team have played a schedule that may get them an at-large, should a meltdown occur in Sioux Falls (not likely, but a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                Gonzaga is the 2nd most difficult opponent we will face this regular season. A win for the Jacks should cement in a top 25, as no one should win against SDSU after this game. Unfortunately, our RPI dips from games vs top 100 (OOC schedule) to at best 120/150, with the bottom teams in the 300's in conference, so no shot to advance based on league play for rpi. A loss would knock Jacks out of top 25, but they would likely stay in the 30's with no more losses.

With 3 Big 10 opponents, and wins, it will be interesting where those three end up in the Big 10 standings, and come tourney time. IMHO, Jacks if they are either one or a two loss team have played a schedule that may get them an at-large, should a meltdown occur in Sioux Falls (not likely, but a possibility.
                Assuming a victory on Friday night, the Jacks OOC schedule would have victories over possible conference champs in Utah/Gonzaga/Wisconsin/Montana. I would say that there are not alot of teams that would be able to say that. And, assuming that they would run the table, there wouldn't be alot of 1-loss team left by the end of the season.

Of course that all hinges on a victory Friday. I think even with a loss the Jacks could crack the top 25, but it would be much later in the season after a few of the other teams dropped games in difficult conference seasons. The exposure that the team has gotten already this year is going to carry thru for the entire season. They aren't going away...
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I'm so proud of the Jackrabbits! They make me proud to be from South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    Assuming a victory on Friday night, the Jacks OOC schedule would have victories over possible conference champs in Utah/Gonzaga/Wisconsin/Montana. I would say that there are not alot of teams that would be able to say that. And, assuming that they would run the table, there wouldn't be alot of 1-loss team left by the end of the season.

Of course that all hinges on a victory Friday. I think even with a loss the Jacks could crack the top 25, but it would be much later in the season after a few of the other teams dropped games in difficult conference seasons. The exposure that the team has gotten already this year is going to carry thru for the entire season. They aren't going away...
                    Even though they upset Baylor,Wisconsin is no better than a middle of the pack team in the long haul of the Big 10 season (along with Minnesota and Illinois).Purdue,Ohio State and Michigan State would be the favorites to win that conference.

Comment

Not sure why everyone thinks Gonzaga is such a great team. Take a look at who they have played and it is a "Who's Who of the Who's Not". Whyoming is usually good, but aside from that they have not played any big names to earn the respect they are getting. They beat Utah by 5. Not a bad team, but not a top 40 team either at this point based on who they have played.

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post

Comment

Valpo beat Purdue tonight. Valpo comes to Frost on the 21st

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          Valpo beat Purdue tonight. Valpo comes to Frost on the 21st
                          Maybe when SDSU beats Valpo Sam Ostarello will decide to transfer back to State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                            Maybe when SDSU beats Valpo Sam Ostarello will decide to transfer back to State!
                            You mean Purdue

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                              You mean Purdue
                              I think he is saying SDSU>Valpo>Purdue

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                                I'm so proud of the Jackrabbits! They make me proud to be from South Dakota.
                                They make me proud to be from South Dakota STATE!

Comment

Working...
                                X