Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AP poll

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I could not agree more about the women are like gonzagas men. They will be competing against and beating ranked teams from major confrences regularily i feel. Hopefully the men can get close to that status in the future as well. Then other teams would strive to be the SDSU's and not the gonzagas of mid majors.
    As long as AJ stays here for awhile.

Comment

Well Gonzaga has somehow mananged to hold on to Mark Pew(sp?) since their recent run of success. I have no idea what his contract with the zags looks like, but we've already held onto AJ once... maybe we can do it again???
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Well Gonzaga has somehow mananged to hold on to Mark Pew(sp?) since their recent run of success. I have no idea what his contract with the zags looks like, but we've already held onto AJ once... maybe we can do it again???
        Prolly not with out facility upgrades and such which we are doing but prolly the most pressing is job security, getting a long term contract. Not sure what he makes compared to other mid major or other coaches but i bet most of them have longer then a 1 year deal to keep them around.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

contract to contract AJ probably makes about the same as most coaches. Where it hurts AJ is with incentive agreements/shoe contracts and the other money that big time coaches get put into there contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Prolly not with out facility upgrades and such which we are doing but prolly the most pressing is job security, getting a long term contract. Not sure what he makes compared to other mid major or other coaches but i bet most of them have longer then a 1 year deal to keep them around.
            I've seen previous posts on the issue of long-term contracts on other threads, and want to clear up what is definitely a myth...long-term contracts don't keep coaches. Of course, in South Dakota it doesn't matter anyway, since multi-year contracts aren't allowed. Good coaches, especially those who might be courted by larger schools, don't worry about job security. They make their decisions based on three things: money (including fringe perks), how comfortable they are with the reputation of the school's decision makers on how they treat coaches, and the "fit" with the pursuing school.

Likewise, a coach looking to make a move, who applys elsewhere, is also not going to be concerned with breaking a contract if they want to move. Colleges at our level don't get coaches to sign "buy-out" clauses, so offering them long-term contracts doesn't mean a thing. (Yes, coaches who have multi-million dollar contracts may agree to buy outs, which the next school usually pays if they hire them away.)

Bottom line: Find good people to coach (which means they might move on or up if they're good), treat them right, do your best to fund them appropriately, and then accept the facts of life if and when they do decide on a change.
            Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 12-03-2008, 05:59 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              I've seen previous posts on the issue of long-term contracts on other threads, and want to clear up what is definitely a myth...long-term contracts don't keep coaches. Of course, in South Dakota it doesn't matter anyway, since multi-year contracts aren't allowed. Good coaches, especially those who might be courted by larger schools, don't worry about job security. They make their decisions based on three things: money (including fringe perks), how comfortable they are with the reputation of the school's decision makers on how they treat coaches, and the "fit" with the pursuing school.

Likewise, a coach looking to make a move, who applys elsewhere, is also not going to be concerned with breaking a contract if they want to move. Colleges at our level don't get coaches to sign "buy-out" clauses, so offering them long-term contracts doesn't mean a thing. (Yes, coaches who have multi-million dollar contracts may agree to buy outs, which the next school usually pays if they hire them away.)

Bottom line: Find good people to coach (which means they might move on or up if they're good), treat them right, do your best to fund them appropriately, and then accept the facts of life if and when they do decide on a change.
              I'd say this is true for a lot of professions. It definitely applies to me. I'd go into the details but no one cares. Bottom line, it isn't about money or prestige its about relationships and people. If it is about money and prestige for you, good luck with that.

Now, security in the job? That could be an issue. However, I think our coaches realize that our administration is going to stand behind them as long as they are doing the best job they can. Look at it from the positive side, coaches are locked in to any contract. They can leave for any opportunity they wish to pursue.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Attempting to get back on topic of polls....

How fun is it to slowly rack up enough votes to be in the AP and coaches polls.

I think if the wins keep coming...we're in top 25 by sometime in January!!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                  Attempting to get back on topic of polls....

How fun is it to slowly rack up enough votes to be in the AP and coaches polls.

I think if the wins keep coming...we're in top 25 by sometime in January!!

We will be in the top 25 by the 15th of December! You heard it here first!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                    We will be in the top 25 by the 15th of December! You heard it here first!
                    IF we are 10-1 at that point, we may make it.

Comment

• Re: AP poll

Dolphin Rating has SDSU as 15th in the Nation.

http://www.dolphinsim.com/ratings/ncaa_wbb/

Gonzaga is 14th, Minnesota 31st.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        IF we are 10-1 at that point, we may make it.
                        Depends on how many other teams from "big" conferences are also 10-1 or thereabouts . . . almost every poll voter will take a 10-1 Big State U over a 10-1 South Dakota State U any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Our women will need to kick the door in. They're not going to open it if they just knock politely.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I read that they got 11 votes in the ESPN poll.

Comment

Just remember that early season dpi's are less accurate and more volatile then the meaningless early season human polls.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Sagarin's Rating as of 12/7

15 Maryland
                              16 Gonzaga
                              31 Minnesota
                              33 SDSU
                              44 Utah
                              53 Montana
                              57 Wisconsin
                              68 Valpo
                              108 Oral Roberts
                              134 UC Davis
                              141 Oregon
                              159 Illinois

Comment

Here is the AP poll results for Dec. 8th

AP Top 25
                                1.Connecticut (45) 6-0 1125
                                2.North Carolina 9-0 1076
                                3.Stanford 6-1 1010
                                4.Texas A&M 8-0 940
                                5.Oklahoma 6-2 878
                                6.Texas 8-0 846
                                7.Tennessee 6-1 844
                                8.Notre Dame 7-0 784
                                9.California 7-1 763
                                10.Baylor 7-1 721
                                11.Duke 6-1 685
                                12.Louisville 7-1 645
                                13.Auburn 10-0 637
                                14.Rutgers 3-2 526
                                15.Maryland 7-2 514
                                16.Pittsburgh 6-1 419
                                17.Virginia 7-2 380
                                18.Ohio State 7-2 365
                                19.TCU 8-2 317
                                20.Vanderbilt 8-2 202
                                21.Purdue 5-3 164
                                22.Arizona State 6-2 161
                                23.Florida 8-1 138
                                24.Oklahoma State 3-2 91
                                25.Kansas State 7-0 90

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES
                                Georgia Tech 79, Wisconsin 36, Old Dominion 29, South Dakota State 27, Xavier 27, New Mexico 18, Minnesota 14, Marist 13, Michigan State 13, Gonzaga 10, DePaul 9, Marquette 7, Bradley 4, Wake Forest 4, Wisconsin-Green Bay 4, Arkansas-Little Rock 2, St. Bonaventure 2, Utah 2, Cincinnati 1, Iowa State 1, Mississippi State 1, Richmond 1,

Well we went from receiving 12 votes to 27 votes this week, tied for 29th overall. This weeks games will really dictate if get into Top 25 or not.

Go State, Go Jacks
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                                X