2012 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

Damn I'm excited to watch this kid play. Congrats to him. (And us )
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by AKCoach View Post
      I can add to the article and say Connor is now weighing 205. He had a nice little ceremony with friends and family. I'll be sure to post any links to local articles that might run in the next couple days. He was excited! Good day for him, his family, and SDSU.
      Thanks, Coach. Always good to read the local perspective.

Comment

Most of the players we sought in 2012 are going elsewhere. Would be nice to get a Juco big in the 2012 class. Looking at preps we are looking primarily at bigs in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Most of the players we sought in 2012 are going elsewhere. Would be nice to get a Juco big in the 2012 class. Looking at preps we are looking primarily at bigs in 2013.
          Most of the players MOST "low-majors" seek go elsewhere.

Adjust your expectations accordingly.

After we rack up six or eight consecutive 20-win seasons and three or four NCAA appearances, then you can start expecting a school with "no basketball history" (as a recent review of Nate Walters asserted) to start winning recruiting battles.

Until then, fans need to realize we're dining on scraps that others have either left on the table or somehow didn't notice and allowed to fall to the floor or, like Connor Devine, have roots and connections which lead him to SDSU. The fact that we "won" a recruiting battle with FCS/Big 12 Iowa State for Jordan Dykstra should be considered by Jackrabbit fans as a Miracle and a Sign from God (apologies for the irreligious religious reference to those who take such things seriously) because that's pretty much what it was.

Until we actually make the NCAA tournament, that's the recruiting world that Nagy and his staff live in. Division I basketball recruiting is a harsh, unforgiving, incredibly difficult world. You're recruiting against Bill Self and Coach K--or at least you're recruiting against schools who are recruiting against that level for your "star" players. This is Big Boy college basketball.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            In basketball where you generally offer 10-15 recruits and are likely to sign 3. Yeah most recruits you seek will go elsewhere.

I don't think Nagy will recruit a JuCo. I think he wants someone who will sign the LOI on the spring signing day. Many times JuCo's wait until last minute. Add in the fact that SDSU has had very bad luck with the JuCo route, and with a large sophomore class I don't know if you will see a JuCo unless it is a game changer who is willing to sign on the 1st day of the spring period.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              In basketball where you generally offer 10-15 recruits and are likely to sign 3. Yeah most recruits you seek will go elsewhere.

I don't think Nagy will recruit a JuCo. I think he wants someone who will sign the LOI on the spring signing day. Many times JuCo's wait until last minute. Add in the fact that SDSU has had very bad luck with the JuCo route, and with a large sophomore class I don't know if you will see a JuCo unless it is a game changer who is willing to sign on the 1st day of the spring period.
              TV on his live chat today said that Nagy was going hard after Juco big men--for Wolters' senior year.

If I'm a juco big man who will be a junior in 2012, who wasn't getting lots of looks from the Bill Selfs of the world and I was looking at my options, seeing a guy like Wolters who's one of the best point guards in the country as a senior, on a team that looks like it will actually be pretty darn good in 2012-13, I think I'd at least think about taking Nagy's phone call.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                TV on his live chat today said that Nagy was going hard after Juco big men--for Wolters' senior year.

If I'm a juco big man who will be a junior in 2012, who wasn't getting lots of looks from the Bill Selfs of the world and I was looking at my options, seeing a guy like Wolters who's one of the best point guards in the country as a senior, on a team that looks like it will actually be pretty darn good in 2012-13, I think I'd at least think about taking Nagy's phone call.
                O, I missed that, I was just speculating. I don't know if he will chase them through May though like he did this past year.

Comment

O, I missed that, I was just speculating. I don't know if he will chase them through May though like he did this past year.
                  I dunno. But I'd rather that the coaching staff get the right guy--I'd rather have them pass on "good players" that they don't think will be a good fit at SDSU than just getting someone because they're long and tall. If that takes a bit longer, I'm absolutely OK with it. If they don't find The Guy, I'm actually OK with that, too, if the alternative is bringing in someone who won't be happy in Brookings.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'll take anyone that is long and tall and good. That's a good enough fit for me.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Mitch Weg from Worthington will visit SDSU this weekend. He apparently has a walk-on offer from SDSU. He has scholarship offers from USF, Dordt, and DWU. This according to @RyanJamesMN who knows his stuff.

He also states that Zach Huisken is down to Augustana and Dordt. And that Casey Schilling is down to SMSU, Augustana and Dordt. Both have been mentioned with SDSU.
                      Was reported today on local radio that Mitch Weg signed with Southwest Minn. State

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Problem is, we were in this same situation this year (except said big man would have had two years to play with Nate and the crew) and we weren't able to land even a serviceable big man. The one we chased until May, who seemed to be a perfect fit, chose another mid-major program further from his home with comparable success to what we have had the past two years and can expect the next two.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Other than the reference to a "gold" jersey its a nice article on Devine. Perhaps it has already been linked.

http://www.frontiersman.com/articles...3870939941.txt
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I sometimes wonder if our getting up and down the court the way we do and the amount of threes we shoot hurts our ability to land a big man? Nothing more fun than playing a game of hoops and never touching the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                              I sometimes wonder if our getting up and down the court the way we do and the amount of threes we shoot hurts our ability to land a big man? Nothing more fun than playing a game of hoops and never touching the ball.

I think it's too early in the DI process to believe this. Skilled big men are the most sought after players out there because they're so hard to find. Nagy has simply adapted to this change.

It should also be noted that the big man SDSU was after last year was a shooter who could spread the floor. He wasn't your typical back to the basket big man.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

This guy is in the 2013 thread, and I've seen him as a 2013 recruit in the past, but now Yahoo has him as 2012 and I've read articles that say he is a senior. If anyone in the Omaha area knows for sure feel free to correct me.

Trevaunn Hymer a 6'9" post from Burke High School in Omaha has interest from the Jacks. Has an offer from USD, I've read on a few threads that people who claim to know him says SDSU has offered as well, but I have not read anything creditable to back that claim up.

Comment

Working...
                                X