Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    We have this argument every year around signing period. Michael Tveidt went to North Dakota State because his brother and a friend of his went their. Plucker went to North Dakota STate because SDSU didn't offer her a scholarship. Many times if you look into it there are more reasons then facilities or coaches or whatever. I do think SDSU has to do a better job of keeping recruits in state but I don't think it is that big of deal.
    Well if our state universities can't keep premier athletes that go to NDSU is not a big deal then so it is. Each athlete that I mentioned is a different changer. What type of talent crosses the border to come south? No offense to Payton Tivis but ND borders are basically closed to SD for difference makers coming from ND. It could be arugued that the 4 fb players listed above could be the difference between SDSU playing for next year or in the hunt for a playoff spot. Kline could have pushed SDSU over ORU. Plucker is another arrow in AJ's quiver. The track athletes are not just filler but major point's. Just saying but I guess no big deal. Lastly Joeboo, you again missed the point. It is one thing to lose a player from Minnesota that decides that D2 is best for him. It is entirely different to lose in state talent that enrolls at a D1 school, within conference, the supposed rival and is across a state border.
    Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
      Well if our state universities can't keep premier athletes that go to NDSU is not a big deal then so it is. Each athlete that I mentioned is a different changer. What type of talent crosses the border to come south? No offense to Payton Tivis but ND borders are basically closed to SD for difference makers coming from ND. It could be arugued that the 4 fb players listed above could be the difference between SDSU playing for next year or in the hunt for a playoff spot. Just saying but I guess no big deal.
      ND residents under 18 in 2010: 149,871
      SD residents under 18 in 2010: 202,797.

And regarding differences in quality of facilities, what are you doing to improve facilities at SDSU?

Comment

[QUOTE=zooropa;187703]ND residents under 18 in 2010: 149,871
        SD residents under 18 in 2010: 202,797.

And regarding differences in quality of facilities, what are you doing to improve facilities at SDSU?[/QUOTE

What do those numbers have to do with this? SD graduates what 600-800 more students a year than ND? Please explain your connection.
        Southern Pecan

Comment

What do those numbers have to do with this?
          You are comparing SD recruits at ND schools vs. ND recruits at SD schools as though there is an underlying parity between the number and quality of the recruits in the two states. There is not.

Comment

Yes I understand that we have to keep talent. But I think you have to look at cases individually. Tveidt really liked Nagy, but at the time Nagy had 1 scholarship available and gave it Cordova. Tveidt's brother was already at NDSU, and from my friends in Pierre was holding out for a bigger school that never came and NDSU had a scholarship available and not SDSU. We've gone through the Tveidt thing before.
            Plucker was never offered from SDSU. Whether that is a good thing or not IDK, but she wasn't. Her brother went to SDSU, she liked SDSU. But when you are offered a scholarship you take it.

As far as the football players I do think facilities had something to do with it.

Population matters because South Dakota has more talent each year. Look at both basketball and football rosters from UND, NDSU and SDSU, USD.
            SDSU basketball has 6 of the 15 guys from South Dakota. (3 starters), 0 from North Dakota
            SDSU football has (my count 28 players from South Dakota), 0 from North Dakota
            USD basketball has 5 of 15 from South Dakota (1 starter), 0 from North Dakota
            USD football has (my count 20 from South Dakota,), 0 from North Dakota
            NDSU basketball has 0 from North Dakota 0 from South Dakota
            NDSU football has (my count 19 from North Dakota and 5 from South Dakota)
            UND basketball has 2 from North Dakota, 0 from South Dakota
            UND football has (my count 16 from North Dakota, 1 from South Dakota)

Total SD athletes -63
            Total ND athletes -37

last years ND- Mr. Basketball went to SD- school of Mines and their top recruit went to Boise State
            SD Mr. BAsketball was Liam Duffy who is at a D-II school in Kansas City I believe and top recruit was Horstman who SDSU has. Some say Lang but he went to UTEP to play for a coach who has coached in the NBA.

It is not like SDSU is not recruiting South Dakota, yes some will leave but not everyone.

Comment

Now to get the thread back on track somewhat

Here is the new to my understanding recruit that has an offer

Gabe Levin, Oak Park-River Forest, Ill. 6-7 small forward
              offers from- Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Sacramento State, South Dakota State and Colgate

according to this article he probably won't commit early http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles...ound_hoopsters

expects more offers to come in as the season rolls on

Comment

Yes I understand that we have to keep talent. But I think you have to look at cases individually. Tveidt really liked Nagy, but at the time Nagy had 1 scholarship available and gave it Cordova. Tveidt's brother was already at NDSU, and from my friends in Pierre was holding out for a bigger school that never came and NDSU had a scholarship available and not SDSU. We've gone through the Tveidt thing before.
                Plucker was never offered from SDSU. Whether that is a good thing or not IDK, but she wasn't. Her brother went to SDSU, she liked SDSU. But when you are offered a scholarship you take it.

As far as the football players I do think facilities had something to do with it.

Population matters because South Dakota has more talent each year. Look at both basketball and football rosters from UND, NDSU and SDSU, USD.
                SDSU basketball has 6 of the 15 guys from South Dakota. (3 starters), 0 from North Dakota
                SDSU football has (my count 28 players from South Dakota), 0 from North Dakota
                USD basketball has 5 of 15 from South Dakota (1 starter), 0 from North Dakota
                USD football has (my count 20 from South Dakota,), 0 from North Dakota
                NDSU basketball has 0 from North Dakota 0 from South Dakota
                NDSU football has (my count 19 from North Dakota and 5 from South Dakota)
                UND basketball has 2 from North Dakota, 0 from South Dakota
                UND football has (my count 16 from North Dakota, 1 from South Dakota)

Total SD athletes -63
                Total ND athletes -37

last years ND- Mr. Basketball went to SD- school of Mines and their top recruit went to Boise State
                SD Mr. BAsketball was Liam Duffy who is at a D-II school in Kansas City I believe and top recruit was Horstman who SDSU has. Some say Lang but he went to UTEP to play for a coach who has coached in the NBA.

It is not like SDSU is not recruiting South Dakota, yes some will leave but not everyone.

Quality not just quantity. Just to point out about the disparity between SD/ND in individuals under the age of 18. Much of that can be contributed to our much larger Native American population.
                Last edited by joeybrownerHOF; 11-08-2011, 07:58 PM.
                Southern Pecan

Comment

I think ND has fewer D-1 quality athletes than SD in football and basketball and the rosters at NDSU over the years seem to bear that out.

It should be a goal that we try to keep SD athletes in SD but I don't lose any sleep over not getting them all. After all, we're recruiting outside of SD and we depend on athletes from other states being willing to come to SDSU.

If one looks at the region around SDSU, we're doing a good job of attracting top athletes in the region and that is particularly evident in some sports like women's basketball.

Comment

Kline could have pushed SDSU over ORU.
                    Kline now plays baseball at Presentation College.

Comment

SDSU currently has 3 of its 5 starts from South Dakota. If you are upset about Tveidt I understand but from my understanding he liked SDSU, liked Nagy, just one of those situations where NDSU was there. if you are upset about other sports I think it is facilities.

Other than Tveidt, SDSU has let few recruits out of the state in the past 5 years. I had heard good things about Lang and yes Nagy wanted him but he went to a coach who had coach 2 BCS conference schools and in the NBA....

Comment

SDSU currently has 3 of its 5 starts from South Dakota. If you are upset about Tveidt I understand but from my understanding he liked SDSU, liked Nagy, just one of those situations where NDSU was there. if you are upset about other sports I think it is facilities.

Other than Tveidt, SDSU has let few recruits out of the state in the past 5 years. I had heard good things about Lang and yes Nagy wanted him but he went to a coach who had coach 2 BCS conference schools and in the NBA....
                        I believe there were many days in D-II where a majority of the starters were from out of state.

Comment

When it comes to instate recruits its a cycle. You have years where there could be 3-4 and years like this year where there could very well be none. Years where the instate or in area recruits are big performers on the court and years where they are outside of the 500 mile radious

Comment

According to Terry Vandrovec (a.k.a. "Uncle T-Bone")...

SDSU has received an NLI from 6-foot-9 Alaska all-state pick Connor Devine.
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The story on Devine on GoJacks.com: http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205330491

We're calling this guy an honorary South Dakotan. His dad grew up in Watertown and he has many extended family members in Watertown.

Comment

I can add to the article and say Connor is now weighing 205. He had a nice little ceremony with friends and family. I'll be sure to post any links to local articles that might run in the next couple days. He was excited! Good day for him, his family, and SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X