Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    He is a better defender than Nate. And if Heemstra plays with more restraint defensively (I think some of his over-aggression defensively was driven because he knew he was playing a limited roll and could force the issue) he is a better defender than Tony. Our defense should be better next year, and that will keep us in and win games. Creating shots will be more difficult.
    I think Nate's defense gets a little bit of a bad rap.

He was asked to do just about everything on the offensive end of the floor and play 40 minutes a game. The reality is, no matter how well conditioned a player is, something's got to give. I will say that Nate's off ball defense was very good, from what I know of these things. The sheer volume of rebounds he got indicates a supreme understanding of floor spacing and positioning themselves in a place where things will be happening. His backside help was impeccable, how many times did Nate strip a player or disrupt a play by sneaking up from the opposite side of the court?

With that being said, I do think Bittle has the potential to be a better on ball defender.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
      Definitely. I'm waiting to see what kind of player Larson is, can you just throw him the ball in the post and let him score on summit defenders? We have a lot of really good shooters that will knock down shots if he's good at passing out of double teams.
      If memory serves me right, Larson was a real slasher in high school. If he found a lane to the basket, watch out. I don't recall him being a "back to the basket" type of player. He could be a dunking machine with Heemstra's and Dykstra's passing ability. I kind of hope the offense this year will run through the high post with Heemstra/Dykstra catching and reading the defense while everyone else sets backscreens and slashes. If somebody cheats too much on the weak side, kick out for the three. If somebody helps too much on a backscreen, kick out for a three.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I think Nate's defense gets a little bit of a bad rap.He was asked to do just about everything on the offensive end of the floor and play 40 minutes a game. The reality is, no matter how well conditioned a player is, something's got to give. I will say that Nate's off ball defense was very good, from what I know of these things. The sheer volume of rebounds he got indicates a supreme understanding of floor spacing and positioning themselves in a place where things will be happening. His backside help was impeccable, how many times did Nate strip a player or disrupt a play by sneaking up from the opposite side of the court?With that being said, I do think Bittle has the potential to be a better on ball defender.
        Nates defense does get an uneeded bad rap. He was needed so much on the offensive end that his defense suffered and Nagy even said he didn't demand the kind of defense from Nate that he demands of other players.

Also, the Bucks Director of Scouting said this when talking about Nate,
        There is so much to like about him. At 6'5" he is a really good defender. He has quick feet. And watching him in the workout, his ability to make plays offensively, run a team, defend, and just do the little things that you look for point guards to do. And then make shots
        Another quote from their Director of Scouting,
        Initially, in addition to being able to run a team, I think he will be a really good defender. He is quicker than he appears, and there is a very good possibility he will be able to guard point guards as well shooting guards due to his size.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Nates D was pretty good imo. how many break away steals would he get a game? like 2 or 3 for easy layups, like the post just said, floor postitioning and rebounding. sure a really super fast guard is going to get around him, but thats a lot of players have a hard time staying in front of the super short quick guards. Never once did i think his D was a liability. sure Bittle might be better at pressing on the ball D and guard like a hawk. Watch Nate guard Burke in the tourney game. that should show he was a good defender, burke sturggled big time that game because of how Nate played him.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I think Nate's defense gets a little bit of a bad rap.

He was asked to do just about everything on the offensive end of the floor and play 40 minutes a game. The reality is, no matter how well conditioned a player is, something's got to give. I will say that Nate's off ball defense was very good, from what I know of these things. The sheer volume of rebounds he got indicates a supreme understanding of floor spacing and positioning themselves in a place where things will be happening. His backside help was impeccable, how many times did Nate strip a player or disrupt a play by sneaking up from the opposite side of the court?

With that being said, I do think Bittle has the potential to be a better on ball defender.
            Wasn't a knock on Nate. I actually agree that he was underrated as a defender last year. I just think Bittle is that good.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Article in the Argus today about the state of the Augie basketball program says that Zach Huisken has quit the Augie basketball team. SDSU and other D1's had interest in Zach coming out of high school.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ustana-uniform
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                Article in the Argus today about the state of the Augie basketball program says that Zach Huisken has quit the Augie basketball team. SDSU and other D1's had interest in Zach coming out of high school.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ustana-uniform
                Unfortunately for us, he actually quit about a month before the season started. Too late for the coaches to find any suitable replacement (hence the focus of that article--Isaac Jorgensen's addition to the Augie roster). SDSU actually offered Huisken, as did Drake, Northern Iowa, and USD, and we were definitely excited for the future with him and Daniel Jansen as our frontcourt for four years. Unfortunate that he left, because, as the article mentions, our other big kid, Brennan Olson, had a career-ending injury and also informed the coaching staff a little too late that he wouldn't be returning this year. Which means we now have one kid (Jansen) on our roster taller than 6'6".

Anyway, I doubt any of you SDSU fans care, and I'm sure I'll get some form of "Well, Augie sucks anyway" in response, but figured I'd add some info since it was brought up on here.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                  Unfortunately for us, he actually quit about a month before the season started. Too late for the coaches to find any suitable replacement (hence the focus of that article--Isaac Jorgensen's addition to the Augie roster). SDSU actually offered Huisken, as did Drake, Northern Iowa, and USD, and we were definitely excited for the future with him and Daniel Jansen as our frontcourt for four years. Unfortunate that he left, because, as the article mentions, our other big kid, Brennan Olson, had a career-ending injury and also informed the coaching staff a little too late that he wouldn't be returning this year. Which means we now have one kid (Jansen) on our roster taller than 6'6".

Anyway, I doubt any of you SDSU fans care, and I'm sure I'll get some form of "Well, Augie sucks anyway" in response, but figured I'd add some info since it was brought up on here.
                  Thanks for the info, and Augie does not suck. Its a classy school.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Thanks for the info, and Augie does not suck. Its a classy school.
                    Much obliged, friend. The Jackrabbits have grown on me in recent years as well. Until Augie someday makes the jump to D1. Then it's back to hating you guys forever.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

I was interested in this when Nidaros brought this up. It's too bad for Augie; however, when a kid with those offers (plus much higher interest) is deciding between Augie and Dordt, there is something wrong. I'm sure he's a great kid, but his heart obviously isn't in it.

Best of luck to him.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                      X