Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
    I wasn't going to post anything until after Tanner visits (this weekend). Looks like the kind of athlete SDSU is in need of right now. The scoop on Tanner is that he had some injuries last season which caused him to have a so/so summer. Because of this, a few teams have cooled off on him.
    This is good news to hear he's going to be on campus, especially if he hits up the Dakota Marker football game, as it should display the kind of fan support the university receives from the area. Plus, if he's willing to take an on-campus visit, that means there is at least mutual interest between the player and the school.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

He has hops that is for sure. looks as if he almost hit the head with his head on a few of those dunks.

Comment

I know I've talked with Connor quite a bit before and after he gave his verbal about what he wanted from school and what making a commitment means. He completely understood he could have waited, like many do for the spring, and he never expressed any anxiety over making the decision before our season starts. He played on a political AAU team and so some interested waned, but more importantly this is what he decided he wanted. He is not the type of kid to go back on his word and last I talked to him he 100% plans on signing in about three weeks. While we hope he makes that natural progression statistically, he's already taking a more active and vocal leadership role in our preseason games. He's not sneaking up on anybody and is a front runner to be player of the year, so he's going to attract a lot of attention, but he's focused on playing hard, making good decisions, and winning games as a team. He might draw some interest if his stats continue upward but they'll be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by AKCoach View Post
          I know I've talked with Connor quite a bit before and after he gave his verbal about what he wanted from school and what making a commitment means. He completely understood he could have waited, like many do for the spring, and he never expressed any anxiety over making the decision before our season starts. He played on a political AAU team and so some interested waned, but more importantly this is what he decided he wanted. He is not the type of kid to go back on his word and last I talked to him he 100% plans on signing in about three weeks. While we hope he makes that natural progression statistically, he's already taking a more active and vocal leadership role in our preseason games. He's not sneaking up on anybody and is a front runner to be player of the year, so he's going to attract a lot of attention, but he's focused on playing hard, making good decisions, and winning games as a team. He might draw some interest if his stats continue upward but they'll be too late.
          Don't worry coach,he's headed to a great team,we'll take good care of him for you.You can take pride in the fact he made a good decision.Here's wishing Connor a great season,and looking forward to watching him play as a Jackrabbit.Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by AKCoach View Post
            That is what I was hoping you would say. He may have family here and he may be a man of his word........but you get a big time program to come knocking when you are an 18 year old kid and it's got to be pretty hard to overlook them. Thanks for the insight coach!!

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
              That is what I was hoping you would say. He may have family here and he may be a man of his word........but you get a big time program to come knocking when you are an 18 year old kid and it's got to be pretty hard to overlook them. Thanks for the insight coach!!
              I'm not saying that never happens in basketball but it seems that in basketball there is much more of the gentlemen's agreement on recruiting kids that have already gave a verbal. There is also the early signing period. The majority of kids who verbal but don't end up there, are either kids who committed at young ages (Dykstra to ISU) or coaching changes. Yeah there are a few others but I don't remember a recruit giving a verbal to SDSU and then backing out for a bigger school. I'm sure it happened back in the D-II days.

Football is totally different, where its a complete go for it until they sign on the dotted line and then there is still some controversy sometimes.

Comment

Here is a tweet from @prepbullseye (Roy Schmidt) who is a co-publisher for a scouting service in Illinois

Per @sports_DA 6'7 2012 forward Tanner Williams is taking an official visit to South Dakota St. this weekend. Would say that is his leader.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  Here is a tweet from @prepbullseye (Roy Schmidt) who is a co-publisher for a scouting service in Illinois

Per @sports_DA 6'7 2012 forward Tanner Williams is taking an official visit to South Dakota St. this weekend. Would say that is his leader.
                  Very good news!
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

After reading pretty much everything I could find, watching some video and doing some evaluations. (I should be doing homework)

Tanner Williams 6'7" wing/PF. Athlete. Has Dale Moss athleticism

updated

He broke his neck playing football as a freshman. Played for Martin Brothers Select team the summer before his junior year. (Same team as UNC PG recruit Marcus Paige). I saw a rivals article that said he was the best player at times during the summer of 2010. Played for the Peoria Irish this past season (same team as 2013 Alec Peters who SDSU has an offer out for). Had a torn meniscus that allowed him to get a late start with the summer team, and then rolled his "jumping ankle" in late June and clearly was not 100% during the July recruiting period. Has done well in "fall-ball". And appears to be 100%. Was on campus Oct. 21st/22nd for an official visit.

If I was going to critique him. His shot is slow, the competition he plays against is not great. His athleticism is what makes him a D-I player.
                    Last edited by joeboo22; 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

According to @ryanjamesmn 2012 forward C.J. Neumann of Cretin-Derham Hall (MN) has committed to Wofford. He had some interest from SDSU however I do not believe he ever had an offer.

Comment

Any recruits on campus for officials this weekend?

Comment

early signing period starts wednesday

Comment

Connor is signing Wednesday. Believe he's signing early and faxing it in and then he'll have our standard little ceremony after school with another athlete who is signing her LOI. He's excited and ready to our season under way in a short few weeks.

Comment

In TV's live chat two weeks ago,he said Nagy wanted to sign two players in the early signing period. Is Tanner Williams the only legitimate possibility for the second player,or is there someone else out there that could put his name on the dotted line ?

Comment

Working...
                              X