2012 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 recruits

Not sure I've heard this young man's name before. Per TV Nagy offered this week.

Benson gets an offer: Hinsdale South's Brock Benson, a 6-8 forward, has received a scholarship offer from South Dakota State, according to Illinois Wolves coach Mike Mullins.

The offer from coach Scott Nagy makes Benson the seventh member of the Wolves' Class of 2012 team to receive a Division I offer.

The others are Purdue-bound Jay Simpson of Champaign Central, Southern Illinois-bound Antonio Drummond of La Lumiere (Ind.), Peoria Manual's Jeff White and Jacoby Roddy, Downers Grove South's Jerron Wilbut and Morton's Brett Bisping.

Mullins said Jamall Millison of Downers Grove South is likely to become the team's eighth Division I recruit this week.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ot-alex-foster

Looks like he is a big kid.

http://hinsdale.patch.com/articles/b...nsdale-south-2
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Not sure I've heard this young man's name before. Per TV Nagy offered this week.

Benson gets an offer: Hinsdale South's Brock Benson, a 6-8 forward, has received a scholarship offer from South Dakota State, according to Illinois Wolves coach Mike Mullins.

The offer from coach Scott Nagy makes Benson the seventh member of the Wolves' Class of 2012 team to receive a Division I offer.

The others are Purdue-bound Jay Simpson of Champaign Central, Southern Illinois-bound Antonio Drummond of La Lumiere (Ind.), Peoria Manual's Jeff White and Jacoby Roddy, Downers Grove South's Jerron Wilbut and Morton's Brett Bisping.

Mullins said Jamall Millison of Downers Grove South is likely to become the team's eighth Division I recruit this week.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ot-alex-foster

Looks like he is a big kid.

http://hinsdale.patch.com/articles/b...nsdale-south-2
      http://hoopsillinois1.hoops247.com/i...news&Itemid=64

here is a pretty good article about his recruitment. Its from December and talks about unofficial visits to Vandy and Virginia Tech as well as South Dakota St. and Colorado St.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        Pretty sure he met with the coaches at Dordt. This school is notorious for sending kids to Dordt to play basketball.
        Well yah, Edgerton is a Christian Reformed town and Dordt is a Christian Reformed school. Its like saying Boyden Hull is notorious for send kids to Northwestern. If he is good he visted Dordt as a family obligation. It is what us Hollanders do.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by prairiehaas View Post
          well yah, edgerton is a christian reformed town and dordt is a christian reformed school. Its like saying boyden hull is notorious for send kids to northwestern. If he is good he visted dordt as a family obligation. It is what us hollanders do.
          If you are not Dutch You are not much. Seriously, I heard over coffee that this family had the means of paying their own way and felt kind of picky about what school they choose. Its been a while when this topic came up, but I recall they were not overly impressed by SDSU. This came from a reliable source who does business with the father. Sometimes these things happen. Its not the end of the world that this young man has Augie and Dordt in his sights.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            If you are not Dutch You are not much. Seriously, I heard over coffee that this family had the means of paying their own way and felt kind of picky about what school they choose. Its been a while when this topic came up, but I recall they were not overly impressed by SDSU. This came from a reliable source who does business with the father. Sometimes these things happen. Its not the end of the world that this young man has Augie and Dordt in his sights.
            I don't know anything about the kid or his family. I just thought it was funny how he was visiting a NAIA school one week and talking with Kansas the following week. As far as if his family was not overly impressed. Well I remember someones dad posting on here that the family was not impressed with SDSU and would not be attending there. So I really don't put too much weight in it.

Coach Nagy's posted on Twitter that he is in Illinois for the 4th with family and then will go on a big recruitment push. Could be Brock Benson who is from the Chicago metro area. Could be a number of 2011 recruits SDSU is still targeting or could be someone else. TV recently mentioned that a kid who had is scholarship pulled from Marist by the AD was also being recruited by SDSU. The kid was from the Baltimore area and a 2011 recruit. http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...ody_joyce.html

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              I don't know anything about the kid or his family. I just thought it was funny how he was visiting a NAIA school one week and talking with Kansas the following week. As far as if his family was not overly impressed. Well I remember someones dad posting on here that the family was not impressed with SDSU and would not be attending there. So I really don't put too much weight in it.

Coach Nagy's posted on Twitter that he is in Illinois for the 4th with family and then will go on a big recruitment push. Could be Brock Benson who is from the Chicago metro area. Could be a number of 2011 recruits SDSU is still targeting or could be someone else. TV recently mentioned that a kid who had is scholarship pulled from Marist by the AD was also being recruited by SDSU. The kid was from the Baltimore area and a 2011 recruit. http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...ody_joyce.html
              The word I got is they have options. I doubt they give rip about D1 or NAIA. Either way its a free education.

The Joyce recruit seems to fit our program academcially. I hope he still has the SDSU coaching staff telephone numbers and he has made telephone calls since he got the bad news from Marist.

Years ago, the Daniels brothers landed up in Vermillion, because the Seton Hall coach had them in mind but had no more scholarships left and the Seton Hall Coach was a good friend of Coach Clodfelter, the only coach at USD to win a D2 National title. The Daniels brother tried a quarter at Historically black college Lincoln University before they transferred to USD. The rest is history. Maybe SDSU will get lucky the same way USD did years ago. Its odd that Marist can not keep track of their offers in a more professional manner. Back in the late 1950's the NCAA did not have all these rules that they now have and I can see how Seton Hall goofed up, with so many recruiting candidates.

Hopefully Nagy has Baltimore on his travel itinerary.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 07-03-2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                The word I got is they have options. I doubt they give rip about D1 or NAIA. Either way its a free education.

The Joyce recruit seems to fit our program academcially. I hope he still has the SDSU coaching staff telephone numbers and he has made telephone calls since he got the bad news from Marist.

Years ago, the Daniels brothers landed up in Vermillion, because the Seton Hall coach had them in mind but had no more scholarships left and the Seton Hall Coach was a good friend of Coach Clodfelter, the only coach at USD to win a D2 National title. The Daniels brother tried a quarter at Historically black college Lincoln University before they transferred to USD. The rest is history. Maybe SDSU will get lucky the same way USD did years ago. Its odd that Marist can not keep track of their offers in a more professional manner. Back in the late 1950's the NCAA did not have all these rules that they now have and I can see how Seton Hall goofed up, with so many recruiting candidates.

Hopefully Nagy has Baltimore on his travel itinerary.
                From reading the article and other articles about the situation the basketball team was fine in terms of scholarships but the athletic department as a whole had ran out of money so to speak for scholarships. The AD didn't tell the coach until after the commitment. At least that is the way I understood it. Also sounds like the coach and AD weren't on the greatest terms before this happened.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

The blog on the Cody Joyce/Marist recruiting mess is very entertaining. If you have 30 minutes to give away it paints an interesting power-play between a coach who is likely on his way out and a respected AD who took a very direct role in recinding an offer. Lost in the political back stabbing is the potential for this kid to become a legit big man with some more work and a few more inches. I was impressed by the post that the kid apparantly posted shortly after he learned his scholly had been pulled after only receiving it 2 days earlier. He showed some class in a very difficult situation.

"Hey Marist alumni/ fans.
                  I really appreciate the fact that coach Martin was willing to give me a scholarship. As you know I verballed to Marist, read what some of you have said and you guys have said some really nice things about me, which is why I love Marist, you all were really nice to me when I was there.
                  In saying that unfortunately I received a phone call from coach Martin, I was away but he talked to my family. The athletic director pulled my scholarship last night. I just found this out, it hurts real deep to know what happened. You guys may hate coach martin but I honestly would've ran through a wall for him. The athletic director kept on making my parents feel like he(Tim) didn't want me here. The athletic director didnt even want to tell me it. I just want you all to know that I will not be attending Marist as of what I know, and I do not want you to blame coach chuck or whoever on the coaching staff, I will talk to coach chuck tonight and thank him for giving me a chance to fulfill a dream I have had ever since I started playing. I wish the Marist basketball team the best of luck, I will miss you guys.
                  Thank you and have a good summer
                  Cody "

His mom posted some very interesting comments on their blog too. What interests me is that she believes that her son will end up being 6'10" based on doctor's reports and the older brother's college age growth spurt. She also relayed that he is now 6'8". The kid was a rebounding machine as a shorter, skinnier kid. He doesn't appear to have an ego and is willing to be a role player. The kid is smart academically, has a mid-range jumper, is a very good passer, and loves to rebound. The biggest downfalls that I see so far, is taking a flyer on a currently undersized big who was set on playing for another east coast school. The kid will not likely have an impact his freshmen year, and if he lives up to his growing potential - he won't be fully developed until after Wolters graduates.

Comment

Looks as though SDSU has an offer out to upcoming senior Mike LaTulip:

G Mike LaTulip
                    6'1" 170
                    Mt Prospect, Illinois (Prospect High School)

Comment

Sure be nice to find someone over 6'4.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Sure be nice to find someone over 6'4.
                        This. I'd really like to see someone at least 6'8" that can play interior defense and rebound. God knows we need interior defense and rebounding.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

unless there is just more slim pickings, but Nagy for years was great at having size and post players. was always post first kind of coach. maybe its just a trend its easier to find guys 6-1 to 6-6 to fit a system then a team with a strong post 1st style.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Nagy for years was great at having size and post players
                            D-2 post players.

I think he's had to dramatically rethink his system as part of the D-1 transition.

Comment

Whine, and ye shall receive: http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2011/03/11/sports/doc4d79dba6b322c079558291.txt
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

According to TV, Connor Devine, a 6-9 post from Wasilla, Alaska, said that he has given a verbal to SDSU for 2012. http://t.co/6tUgRVJ http://t.co/mFamSe2

Comment

Working...
                                X