Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 recruits

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Have had a chance to see the three SW Minnesota kids play. Huisken is similiar to Jordan Dykstra in both build and style of play. Can shoot the 3 and also post-up,and blocks shots and rebounds well. Probably more suited to play the four rather than a true post. Schilling and Busack are the same size but totally different players. Busack,like his former team-mate Felt at NDSU plays like Felt - likes to shoot threes,is pretty one-dimensional on offense,not great on defense. Schilling is a more complete player,as he has had to play inside because of his height at a smaller school. Has a more well-rounded offensive game - can shoot the three as well as go inside. Rebounds and plays D really well-really a tough kid. Would probably play a Moss-type position in college. Totally different player than Cody,but could contribute at our level.
    Good info. Do you have any idea how Huisken and Bauman compare to each other?
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
      Good info. Do you have any idea how Huisken and Bauman compare to each other?
      Sorry,can't help you out with that. United South Central doesn't play any teams in the SW corner of the state,so haven't seen or heard anything on Bauman.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Have had a chance to see the three SW Minnesota kids play. Huisken is similiar to Jordan Dykstra in both build and style of play. Can shoot the 3 and also post-up,and blocks shots and rebounds well. Probably more suited to play the four rather than a true post. Schilling and Busack are the same size but totally different players. Busack,like his former team-mate Felt at NDSU plays like Felt - likes to shoot threes,is pretty one-dimensional on offense,not great on defense. Schilling is a more complete player,as he has had to play inside because of his height at a smaller school. Has a more well-rounded offensive game - can shoot the three as well as go inside. Rebounds and plays D really well-really a tough kid. Would probably play a Moss-type position in college. Totally different player than Cody,but could contribute at our level.
        I'm not so sure Busack is anywhere near the player Felt was in highschool.

Comment

SG Marcus Marshall / 6'2" 180 / St Paul, MN (Johnson) / http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...arshall-112363
          SF Sanjay Lumpkin / 6'5" 185 / St Louis Park, MN (Benilde) / http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...Lumpkin-112364
          SF Casey Schilling / 6'5" / Ellsworth, MN / http://m.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.d...emplate=wapart
          SF Michael Busack / 6'5" / Redwood Valley, MN / http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Busack-125235
          SF Matt Van Scyoc / 6'7" / Green Lake, WI / http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...20Scyoc-117346

I laughed when I saw this list.

6'-5" kids who are athletic, better than average shooters and can post up on ocassion...These guys are a dime a dozen in the midwest. Any team can fill their roster with a ton of these guys. White, Horstman, and Griff are all in the same category. They are important players to have, but if you miss out on one, it's easy to find another one.

I'm guessing that's why we have only shown interest in this set, as they are interchangeable.

The difficult task of recruiting is finding "difference makers", players that can create their own offense. They aren't easy to come by, and every D1 university is recruiting them hard. We have Nate and Dykstra, it would be nice to add to that list.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
            6'-5" kids who are athletic, better than average shooters and can post up on ocassion...These guys are a dime a dozen in the midwest. Any team can fill their roster with a ton of these guys. White, Horstman, and Griff are all in the same category. They are important players to have, but if you miss out on one, it's easy to find another one.
            I believe this is a big part of the reason SDSU has moved to the 4 out 1 in offense. You put 3 of these types of players with a solid point gaurd & a solid post player that can pass as well as play with his back to the basket, and you can have a very solid up-tempo offensive team.

The real trick for us is to be able match up with a team with a big, or athletic front-court. The key to that is to have a player or two that is 6-6 - 6-8 that can defend the post well, as well as occasionally step out & shoot to help draw the defense away. This years team relied on Dale or Griffin to fill this role. If we had a Dale-moss type but 2-4" taller, then that would make a profound difference in what we can do on the defensive end.

Comment

Eventually you need the quality 6'6 - 6'8 guys to be a 20 win team. The smaller guys can keep you competitive, but tough to beat the quality teams that usually have the bigger players.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                SG Marcus Marshall / 6'2" 180 / St Paul, MN (Johnson) / http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...arshall-112363
                SF Sanjay Lumpkin / 6'5" 185 / St Louis Park, MN (Benilde) / http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...Lumpkin-112364
                SF Casey Schilling / 6'5" / Ellsworth, MN / http://m.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.d...emplate=wapart
                SF Michael Busack / 6'5" / Redwood Valley, MN / http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Busack-125235
                SF Matt Van Scyoc / 6'7" / Green Lake, WI / http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...20Scyoc-117346

I laughed when I saw this list.

I'm guessing that's why we have only shown interest in this set, as they are interchangeable.

The difficult task of recruiting is finding "difference makers", players that can create their own offense. They aren't easy to come by, and every D1 university is recruiting them hard. We have Nate and Dykstra, it would be nice to add to that list.
                Wisconsin is a great example. Not very athletic and a bunch of tall wing players that can shoot. They usually win because they'll out work you but Butler is kickin their butt at that tonight!
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  Wisconsin is a great example. Not very athletic and a bunch of tall wing players that can shoot. They usually win because they'll out work you but Butler is kickin their butt at that tonight!
                  Bo Ryan is one heck of a coach.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    Bo Ryan is one heck of a coach.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
                    I know plenty of Badger fans that beg to differ.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                      I believe this is a big part of the reason SDSU has moved to the 4 out 1 in offense. You put 3 of these types of players with a solid point gaurd & a solid post player that can pass as well as play with his back to the basket, and you can have a very solid up-tempo offensive team.

The real trick for us is to be able match up with a team with a big, or athletic front-court. The key to that is to have a player or two that is 6-6 - 6-8 that can defend the post well, as well as occasionally step out & shoot to help draw the defense away. This years team relied on Dale or Griffin to fill this role. If we had a Dale-moss type but 2-4" taller, then that would make a profound difference in what we can do on the defensive end.
                      The only difference is that if he were 4 inches taller they would be playing at mid-major D1. When they are 6-4 they are on low-major D1 like us.

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                        The only difference is that if he were 4 inches taller they would be playing at mid-major D1. When they are 6-4 they are on low-major D1 like us.
                        Exactly. Look at Rodney Williams Jr for example.

Comment

Watched some of the Redwood Falls game with Busack. Does not seem like a good enough athlete to play Div. 1 sports at all. Slow kid.

Also, what other scholarship offers does Cougill have?
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Watched some of the Redwood Falls game with Busack. Does not seem like a good enough athlete to play Div. 1 sports at all. Slow kid.

Watched it also. Was not impressed with Busack what so ever. Didn't even try to get the ball in his hands to end the 4 overtime game.

Comment

no one knows for sure. SDSU was at almost every home game of his according to the newspaper. A lot of South Dakota St. had a coach in the crowd, etc. UNI has been at games but from what I understand they do not have a scholarship and have Iverson #1 if one would open up. Texas is the biggest school that has shown some interest but I don't know how much interest they have. He'd like to go back to Iowa but I don't know if that will happen. Iowa State does not have a scholarship available and would rather have Ron Baker (another kid that has an offer if one was too open up).

The thing with JuCo's are their recruitment picks up a ton late when transfers and early entries are figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by StefaniGermanotta View Post
                                I know plenty of Badger fans that beg to differ.
                                honey badger fans?
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X