This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-09 Recruits

There is plenty of seating at the Elmen Center.....Madison plays there on February 3, 2007.

;D

Ok so that was a shameless plug but free haha

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
      There is plenty of seating at the Elmen Center.....Madison plays there on February 3, 2007.

;D

Ok so that was a shameless plug but free haha
      I'll do you one better:

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1167807900

Dakota Schoolers Border Classic

Saturday, February 3, 2007
      Elmen Center - Augustana College

12:00 Dell Rapids St. Mary's vs. Viborg
      1:45 Castlewood vs. Mt. Vernon
      3:30 Milbank vs. Flandreau
      5:15 Elkton vs. Battle Creek-Ida Grove, IA
      7:00 Hurley vs. West Sioux, IA
      8:45 Madison vs. St. Francis

Go State!

Comment

Gee that would work except February 3, 2007 is the date for the Pork Classic, and NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
          Gee that would work except February 3, 2007 is the date for the Pork Classic, and NDSU.
          The women's team will be playing at NDSU that night as well......tough call.

Comment

I've been watching Hopkins HS (Minnesota) and Mike Broghammer (soph) play on FSN today. He is a 6'7" post player who will continue to grow. They mentioned that NDSU has offered him a scholarship. I am certain he is on Nagy's radar and someone here has probably mention him before. He looks like he could really develop into a talented player and I suspect he could really help a team like ours.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Cadsev, can you comment further on the Roosevelt Freshman of Aluong,Bartling and Larson. I got a chance to see Larson play with the Roosevelt Varsity at the KWSN Holiday games and while he certainly needs to fill out he really moves well for such a young man. Did Aluong immigrate to the States and if so how long has he been playing basketball?  I assume SDSU may already be watching these kids and seeking an early verbal commitment like the Madison kids if they possess the kind of talent some are talking about.

Comment

Adol Aluong has been in SD for about 12 years now.  He recently was moved up to the varsity level after the Lincoln game and has done a nice job at the varsity level.  If anything it has forced the Jr. PG to play more focused and has helped the team with making others accountable.  He's about 6 foot tall and athletic.  He is extremely quick and will be a force the next three years for RHS.

Jared Bartling is a slim 6'8" who needs to find the weight room.  He's getting subvarsity minutes and has improved each game.  The kid just needs to continue to work hard and lift more weights.  I doubt that he'll grow much more but that could happen.  He's not ultra athletic but as he gets older may become more athletic.  Still is developing.

Cody Larson - hard for me to type more than I already have about him.  The only thing preventing him from being sucessful right now is himself.  He's very timid on the offensive end but posesses unbelievable skill for a kid his age and size.  The LHS game was a poor example of his talent.  He was overwhelmed playing in the arena for the first time.  Expect great things out of him as he gets older.  For fear of bashing I still type this......I expect him to be a mid major at the low end but most likely will be the next High Major talent out of SD.  He's as talented of a 15 year old that I have seen since Mike Miller.......gasp.....I know that will create some stir.......but being close to both at that age it's easy to see similarities. I've seen him go head to head with the two Rock Valley, IA kids and Larson has been more impressive than they were during those games. I've also seen him play against kids his age around the country and he's held his own or dominated. When playing against kids his own age or one grade up he's much more comfortable and therefore more impressive than what he shows during varsity games.

Many doubted Joe Krabbenhoft....What Joe lacked in athletic ability he makes up for with toughness.  Larson isn't as tough and many will make the comparision to Joe because they are from the same school.  However, Cody's closer to Mikes ability at that age than he was to Joe.  Of course you could argue......Mike had an outstanding Freshman year.  True.......Mike also had two older brothers who kicked the crap out of him growing up and he grew up in a basketball family, lived, slept and ate basketball.  Larson doesn't have that background and will take more grooming over time.  Still when all is said and done I expect he'll have success.  The RHS coaches have done a great job meshing him with their team.  Larson just needs to pick up his confidence and do what he can do and not fear failure.  Easy for me to say......much harder convincing a 15 year old that he's capable.  

Coach Nagy has seen all three play twice this year......most recently last night.  He's aware of their talent and potential.  I'd say that he's more focused on Aluong and Bartling more so than Larson but that can change over time.  If Larson remains timid on offense his Jr. and Sr. year than he's a bust.  If he plays to his potential and ability level then the skies the limit for where he could end up.

In the State there are 4 Freshman playing AA Varsity:

Cody Larson - RHS
                Adol Aluong - RHS
                Jared Hannigan - CHS
                Terell Newton - Huron

All have had their bright moments and all have contributed.  The question isn't what are they doing now but what will they become three years from now.  My expectation is that how I have them listed is how they will succeed.

There are also some 8th graders making an impact on their respective varsity teams:

Cory Jacobson - Viborg (had 22 last night)
                Spencer Yackley - Sully Buttes (Blakes cousin)
                Zach Horstman - Winner

Horstman is about 6'4" and a decent athlete.  Jacobson is putting up the best numbers but is about 5'11".  Haven't seen much on Yackley other than he's led them in scoring a few times.

As for SDSU level.......to early to tell but Horstman might be the best 8th grade prospect in SD.  Still someone else could emerge.

Comment

Don't forget Drew Kreutzfedlt as an 8th grader that is playing varsity

Comment

I saw a post on the High School sports board claiming that Larson has been offered by SDSU and will commit after the season. I have taken it for what it is and where it came from.

Any insight on this Cadsev, or, to quote Denny Green is it what I thought it was?
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

No chance he'll commit after the season this year....... No other comment

Comment

There are also some 8th graders making an impact on their respective varsity teams:

Cory Jacobson - Viborg (had 22 last night)
                        Spencer Yackley - Sully Buttes (Blakes cousin)
                        Zach Horstman - Winner
                        By the way, Cory Jacobsen is the son of Dean Jacobsen, who played at STATE from 86-90.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Colt or Colton Iverson from Yankton is a name I have heard tossed around. We have an offer on the table to him from what I have heard. A nice 6'8" center might help.

Comment

Colton Iverson is a junior this year at Yankton.  He has improved from last year, and only looks to keep getting better.  He could be a solid addition to the team in two years, as he gets stronger. I believe they offered him a couple months ago.

His dad, Chuck, played at USD and coaches girls basketball at Mount Marty.  He has two sisters playing college ball right now - 1 at Mount Marty and 1 at USD.  

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
                              Colton Iverson is a junior this year at Yankton.  He has improved from last year, and only looks to keep getting better.  He could be a solid addition to the team in two years, as he gets stronger.  I believe they offered him a couple months ago.  

His dad, Chuck, played at USD and coaches girls basketball at Mount Marty.  He has two sisters playing college ball right now - 1 at Mount Marty and 1 at USD.  
                              I'll be at the Mt. Marty game tomorrow representing the clinic here in Yankton. I'll see if I can get a feel from Coach Iverson about his son's future. I've had the pleasure of meeting his wife and one of his daughters, very nice people. If Colt were to attend SDSU it would be a good thing for everyone involved.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                                [quote author=gojacksgo link=1160372003/60#72 date=1168630195]Colton Iverson is a junior this year at Yankton.  He has improved from last year, and only looks to keep getting better.  He could be a solid addition to the team in two years, as he gets stronger.  I believe they offered him a couple months ago.  

I'll be at the Mt. Marty game tomorrow representing the clinic here in Yankton.  I'll see if I can get a feel from Coach Iverson about his son's future.  I've had the pleasure of meeting his wife and one of his daughters, very nice people.  If Colt were to attend SDSU it would be a good thing for everyone involved.  
                                [/quote]

Hey Doc,

Be careful:

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...1153403337/7#7

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X