This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-09 Recruits

You know, I knew about White and Fiegen back in the fall. But it's a couple of years away, so I'm not too worried about them playing for State just yet. Besides, they still have to win a couple of state titles for Madison yet! ;D
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Feigen's father played for the Jacks so it is stated and I am not sure what year,but he also is a past president of the Alumni Association Council. I would think Feigen is pretty certain, but things in young people's lives can change quickly, and even a loyal alum's son has a right to change his mind.

I would agree there are a number of things that need to happen in order for an offer is made by SDSU.

Comment

I think I will go with Cadsev on this one knowing who he is and all.  He has a very good handle on how the recruiting process works.  

Originally posted by Cadsev

Nothing long shot about it at all.........

Go State!  

Comment

I disagree. I hope it all works out and that they develop into fine young bb players. There are so many variables that can become a factor, injuries, coaching changes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
            Feigen's father played for the Jacks so it is stated and I am not sure what year,but he also is a past president of the Alumni Association Council. I would think Feigen is pretty certain, but things in young people's lives can change quickly, and even a loyal alum's son has a right to change his mind.

I would agree there are a number of things that need to happen in order for an offer is made by SDSU.

Don't think Ed ever played for the Jacks, he might have tried to walk on as a Freshman which was a year or two before I was in school.  I do remember sitting with him and other members of Farmhouse during games and playing basketball at the armory downtown on Saturdays.  

I hope both kids have the talent to play DI and choose to sign with us.  

Comment

Since you know Ed better than I do, I sure you are right. I keep thinking some one on the board posted that he did for SDSU and I did not question it since he has a body of a post player who continues sport a flattop from the 1950's. I sure people from Madison who are big SDSU supporters have given reports to Nagy and our staff have been watching too. Nothing like being on the ground floor for once.

Comment

An offer already has been made by SDSU (and yes I'm paraphrasing):

Coach Nagy "Chad and Tony you both have outstanding talent.  I know you are young but I am offering you a scholarship to play at SDSU."  

A week later

Tony "Coach I've thought about your offer and accept the offer."

A few days later:

Chad "I have been thinking about your offer and accept the offer."

Now if you meant to type a lot can happen between now and the time they sign their NCAA National Letter of Intent that makes the contract binding for one season (November of their HS Senior Year 2009), then yes a lot can happen.  But as much as a lot happening between now and an "official" offer is extended to the athletes you are mistaken.

SDSU would look foolish if they pulled back on the offer.  They would have a difficult time recruiting future athletes of the same calibar and would have a hard time getting any verbal commitments from potential athletes.  They can't comment on these young men until they are "signed" but it's public knowledge that the offer has been extended and accepted.  

Comment

I agree with Cadsev 100%. I am sure if we try long enough we could come up with 1000 or more reason why these two might not end up at SDSU, including but not limited to a meteor hitting Frost Arena and SDSU doing away with Men's Basketball. However, what is most likely to happen is that these young men will wear the yellow and blue someday and it will be fun to watch then develop until they do.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    I agree with Cadsev 100%.  I am sure if we try long enough we could come up with 1000 or more reason why these two might not end up at SDSU, including but not limited to a meteor hitting Frost Arena and SDSU doing away with Men's Basketball.  However, what is most likely to happen is that these young men will wear the yellow and blue someday and it will be fun to watch then develop until they do.

Go State!  

One of the thousand reasons that no one has mentioned and that is these guys have minds of their own. There are other AAU events to be part of and unless they are under some contract with Dakota Schoolers, they could particiapate and get exposure to other D1 program coaches. A verbal committment is not a binding contract as Cadsev alluded to, but I just saying other offers could be out there before they finish from high school. They also have a right to change their mind.

Yes I missed your post that included mention that an offer had been made by Nagy. So Cadsev, I understand the how these things work and thanks for the explanation though. You must be very close to the recruiting processes to know and understand so much going on at SDSU.

Comment

Here is what it is as I see it. Nagy seems to be in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. As the DI program in the state people want to see Nagy capture the DI quality recruits. Problem for Nagy, he doesn't have what some other programs in the region can offer right now except what we are, SDSU.

He sees two talented local stars who have DI potential in the estimation of those who determine those sorts of things and now has a decision to make. Conversation ensues and a verbal agreement seems like the best thing for both the athlete and the program right now.

As follows, some are excited about SD kids who may excel at the DI institution in the state. In turn, some are concerned about recruiting "children" who haven't grown up yet.

I think its great that a verbal contract has been reached. Kudos to Nagy and best of luck to the young men as they continue to develop their BB skills while intending to become Jackrabbits in the near enough future.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[quote author=89rabbit link=1160372003/15#22 date=1166801502]I agree with Cadsev 100%.  I am sure if we try long enough we could come up with 1000 or more reason why these two might not end up at SDSU, including but not limited to a meteor hitting Frost Arena and SDSU doing away with Men's Basketball.  However, what is most likely to happen is that these young men will wear the yellow and blue someday and it will be fun to watch then develop until they do.

Go State!  

One of the thousand reasons that no one has mentioned and that is these guys have minds of their own. There are other AAU events to be part of and unless they are under some contract with Dakota Schoolers, they could particiapate and get exposure to other D1 program coaches. A verbal committment is not a binding contract as Cadsev alluded to, but I just saying other offers could be out there before they finish from high school. They also have a right to change their mind.

Yes I missed your post that included mention that an offer had been made by Nagy. So Cadsev, I understand the how these things work and thanks for the explanation though. You must be very close to the recruiting processes to know and understand so much going on at SDSU. [/quote]

Haldersham,

Yup, great point that in fact could be yet another of the thousand reasons that these two don't end up at SDSU.  I still am inclined to believe that the most likely outcome of their verbal commitment to SDSU is that they will in fact honor their verbal commitment and end up wearing the yellow and blue.

You know to me this seems pretty simple.  If you are inclined to believe that these young men are coming to SDSU you probably will want to follow their careers and see how they are developing.  You might even want to discuss it with like minded individuals on say a fan board.  Read stories about them.   You know all the fan stuff.

If you are inclined to think that for any number of reasons that they probably won't end up at SDSU then there really is no reason to follow their careers or care how they develop.  You might not want to read or discuss how they are doing on a fan board.  You might find the discussion at waste of time.  That is ok too.  

If you don't think they are coming to SDSU, I am sure you are ok with those of us who think they are talking about it aren't you?  I think we all know that nothing is DONE until the ink is dry, but that shouldn’t stop us from discussing it should it?

Some people really like recruiting news.  There is a whole industry dedicated to it.  I think it is ok to discuss possibilities like James Granstra on this board and he hasn’t even verbally committed.  

I guess long story short I would hope that you won’t feel the need to share 1 of the 1000 reasons that they might not come every time White & Fiegen are brought up on the board, but you are certainly welcomed to do so if you see fit.

These are my personal feelings on the matter and in no way am I acting in my capacity as a global moderator on this issue, I will now step off my soap box.

Go State!  

Comment

You'd think that this sort of thing (verbal commitments at an early age) had never happened before. Of course it happens all the time. Some here seem to insinuate that there's something uniquely weird about these commitments. It's not typical, but it's not that unusual.

I expect they'll play for SDSU in a couple of years. It'll be fun to watch them develop. I would note that from my reading of this board, Cadsev has been a very reliable source of information. I appreciate Cadsev's insight into the recruiting process.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                            I expect they'll play for SDSU in a couple of years. It'll be fun to watch them develop. I would note that from my reading of this board, Cadsev has been a very reliable source of information. I appreciate Cadsev's insight into the recruiting process.
                            Agree 100%. I have thousands of posts on this site and none of them contain nearly the information Cadsev can provide in his few posts.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                              You'd think that this sort of thing (verbal commitments at an early age) had never happened before. Of course it happens all the time. Some here seem to insinuate that there's something uniquely weird about these commitments.  It's not typical, but it's not that unusual.
                              I want to folllow up this up by saying verbal commitments have proven very successful for AJ and our women's program. There have been a numerous girls that have verbally committed well before the early signing period of their senior years. I know 2 of the 3 girls (Rotert & Schuttloffel) that the women's program signed for sure verbally committed and the 3rd (Michelson) might have as well. And currently we already have a verbal committment (Vanessa Johnson) for the 2008 class. In recent memory I don't remember any of our verbal comittments backing out on us. I'm sure there are others but the last one I can remember is Mandy Koupol and I'm not even sure if she publicly committed to us. I just know she's was telling the coaches at SDSU she was coming then at the last minute she went south. So I would say it's a safe bet these two kids from Madison will be in yellow & blue in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                                [quote author=JimmyJack link=1160372003/15#26 date=1166826078]You'd think that this sort of thing (verbal commitments at an early age) had never happened before. Of course it happens all the time. Some here seem to insinuate that there's something uniquely weird about these commitments.  It's not typical, but it's not that unusual.
                                I want to folllow up this up by saying verbal commitments have proven very successful for AJ and our women's program.  There have been a numerous girls that have verbally committed well before the early signing period of their senior years.  I know 2 of the 3 girls (Rotert & Schuttloffel) that the women's program signed for sure verbally committed and the 3rd (Michelson) might have as well.  And currently we already have a verbal committment (Vanessa Johnson) for the 2008 class.  In recent memory I don't remember any of our verbal comittments backing out on us.  I'm sure there are others but the last one I can remember is Mandy Koupol and I'm not even sure if she publicly committed to us.  I just know she's was telling the coaches at SDSU she was coming then at the last minute she went south.  So I would say it's a safe bet these two kids from Madison will be in yellow & blue in the future!
                                [/quote]
                                Koupal did not go south at the last minute. She played at and was the NCC freshmen of the year for SDSU her 1st year. Then she went south to that lesser school while SDSU won a National Championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X