X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-09 Recruits

Originally posted by BTownJack
    Can you explain why the Krogman kid wouldn't be a good fit for our program?  Does he play in a position that we don't need or is there something about him that most people are unaware of?  I've only heard really good things about him but I've never seen him first hand so I can't make my own judgement.  
    I'll defer to Cadsev but my understanding is he would be nearly the same as Cadwell but a little less disciplined. Great scorer but not necessarily rounded enough to be a DI player. When playing against a higher level of competition he still gets his shots but doesn't make those around him much better.

Now, I haven't seen him play so the info I have is just word of mouth. My understanding is that SDSU is not currently offering nor are we planning to offer Krogman. I understand we did at one time and he was uncertain about where he wanted to go.

Regardless, I hope things work out well for him and SDSU.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
      [quote author=Cadsev link=1160372003/30#41 date=1167829933]I'd be shocked if SDSU signed Krogman.  Thats not the direction they need to take to improve.
      Can you explain why the Krogman kid wouldn't be a good fit for our program?  Does he play in a position that we don't need or is there something about him that most people are unaware of?  I've only heard really good things about him but I've never seen him first hand so I can't make my own judgement.  [/quote]

Would Jim Sumption, Bradly Hand, Eric Lappe be great fits for the current Jack Rabbits? All three were prolific Class B scorers in their own eras but none did much in college. The state of SD hoops is at a dismal low. There were only 5 seniors who went DII or higher this year. Next season there will be less. If west river hoops at the Class B level is where SDSU is drawing athletes from then expect more less than 10 win seasons. The kid is an outstanding Class B SD basketball player. He's not one that is going to make an impact at the level SDSU is headed. It's my opinion and past history has shown that those types of athletes simply don't do much at the collegiate level.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
        [quote author=BTownJack link=1160372003/30#44 date=1167837907][quote author=Cadsev link=1160372003/30#41 date=1167829933]I'd be shocked if SDSU signed Krogman.  Thats not the direction they need to take to improve.
        Can you explain why the Krogman kid wouldn't be a good fit for our program?  Does he play in a position that we don't need or is there something about him that most people are unaware of?  I've only heard really good things about him but I've never seen him first hand so I can't make my own judgement.  [/quote]

Would Jim Sumption, Bradly Hand, Eric Lappe be great fits for the current Jack Rabbits?  All three were prolific Class B scorers in their own eras but none did much in college.  The state of SD hoops is at a dismal low.  There were only 5 seniors who went DII or higher this year.  Next season there will be less.  If west river hoops at the Class B level is where SDSU is drawing athletes from then expect more less than 10 win seasons.  The kid is an outstanding Class B SD basketball player.  He's not one that is going to make an impact at the level SDSU is headed.  It's my opinion and past history has shown that those types of athletes simply don't do much at the collegiate level.[/quote]

That makes sense to me. Thanks for your input as I am not very aware of the overall talent of this year's SD high school senior class. Alot of my input on Krogman comes from a guy that is a big fan of White River basketball so I'm sure his opinion is more than biased.

Comment

Now this is rumor and clearly rumor but I heard from a kid that goes to college with krogmans gf and from a sdsu athlete that he has already verbelled there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
            [quote author=BTownJack link=1160372003/30#44 date=1167837907][quote author=Cadsev link=1160372003/30#41 date=1167829933]I'd be shocked if SDSU signed Krogman.  Thats not the direction they need to take to improve.

Would Jim Sumption, Bradly Hand, Eric Lappe be great fits for the current Jack Rabbits?  All three were prolific Class B scorers in their own eras but none did much in college.  The state of SD hoops is at a dismal low.  There were only 5 seniors who went DII or higher this year.  Next season there will be less.  If west river hoops at the Class B level is where SDSU is drawing athletes from then expect more less than 10 win seasons.  The kid is an outstanding Class B SD basketball player.  He's not one that is going to make an impact at the level SDSU is headed.  It's my opinion and past history has shown that those types of athletes simply don't do much at the collegiate level.[/quote]

Last year if you look at those 5 seniors 2 of them were on Arlingtons class B team, and 3 were class AA (Cordova, Pesicka, Tveidt) So I don't think you can say that class b is weak, I guess I can't even agree with you as sd being week as much as they just are young, I don't know what the deal is but if you look at the great bball players not to many of them are seniors, but I can then go out and say this. With SDSU going D-1 and USD going d-1 more kids chose to play NAIA being closer to home. I know you would probally know more on Louie but as I posted earlier my sources who probally arn't as good as yours say he is going to state. I also look at it like this club/aau teams are a great way to get kids to the next level but if you look in the past it use to be just juniors and seniors played had like 4 sophomores and a freshman playing this year. I look at that and say it is more and more demand on teams like the schoolers and others that cause kids to say no thanks and have fun durring the summer by playing baseball and 3 on 3's and simply having fun durring the summer. Here is what I also have to say Louie he averaged 15.5 points a game this is also playing a grade up in sence because he has another year to play on the gold team. Also with athletes I look at 2 guys that again my sources are saying they are going to black hills state a naia college. Luke Enos and Kyle Doerr, I have watched both of these players I along with others said they were both D-II full scholar athletes and walk on D-I athletes. This again just goes to my point that kids like to stay home and go where family is, like Mike Tveidt going to NDSU where his brother goes to college. I think SDSU would be smart to offer Louie a scholarship my math along with my sources say there is one more available and I don't see Chuck letting his son be a jackrabbit.

Comment

if you are talking about Chuck Iverson, I don't think that he will put a stop to Colton Iverson playing for SDSU. Whether or not Colton will play there remains to be seen, but I don't it will be because of Chuck.

Comment

I know what your saying but if you were one of the best players ever to play for USD would you REALLY want your kid to go to SDSU, I didn't mean for it to sound like he apsolutley wouldn't let him I just went for it to sound like he would guide him in another direction if that direction appears.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                  [quote author=Cadsev link=1160372003/45#46 date=1167844541][quote author=BTownJack link=1160372003/30#44 date=1167837907][quote author=Cadsev link=1160372003/30#41 date=1167829933]I'd be shocked if SDSU signed Krogman.  Thats not the direction they need to take to improve.

Last year if you look at those 5 seniors 2 of them were on Arlingtons class B team, and 3 were class AA (Cordova, Pesicka, Tveidt) So I don't think you can say that class b is weak, I guess I can't even agree with you as sd being week as much as they just are young, I don't know what the deal is but if you look at the great bball players not to many of them are seniors, but I can then go out and say this. With SDSU going D-1 and USD going d-1 more kids chose to play NAIA being closer to home. I know you would probally know more on Louie but as I posted earlier my sources who probally arn't as good as yours say he is going to state. I also look at it like this club/aau teams are a great way to get kids to the next level but if you look in the past it use to be just juniors and seniors played had like 4 sophomores and a freshman playing this year. I look at that and say it is more and more demand on teams like the schoolers and others that cause kids to say no thanks and have fun durring the summer by playing baseball and 3 on 3's and simply having fun durring the summer. Here is what I also have to say Louie he averaged 15.5 points a game this is also playing a grade up in sence because he has another year to play on the gold team. Also with athletes I look at 2 guys that again my sources are saying they are going to black hills state a naia college. Luke Enos and Kyle Doerr, I have watched both of these players I along with others said they were both D-II full scholar athletes and walk on D-I athletes. This again just goes to my point that kids like to stay home and go where family is, like Mike Tveidt going to NDSU where his brother goes to college. I think SDSU would be smart to offer Louie a scholarship my math along with my sources say there is one more available and I don't see Chuck letting his son be a jackrabbit.
                  [/quote]

Your math is not accurate.......in 2006 (2007 senior class) there were 5 seniors that went DII and higher.  You are quoting 2005 stats (2006 seniors) in your paragraph above.  Actually there were 8 seniors that went DII and higher in 2006:

Jordan King - NSU
                  Mitch Boeck - NSU
                  Michael Tveidt - NDSU
                  Zach Finley - Princeton
                  Anthony Cordova - SDSU
                  Tate Pesicka - USD
                  Ross VerHeul - St. Cloud
                  Derick Hoelein - NSU

These are the ones I know off the top of my head and I may be missing some.

In the early signing period of 2006 there were only 5 athletes that signed DII and higher.  Now you can aruge the close to home theory and I'll say bunk!!!  You don't turn down DII offers to play at the NAIA level if you are offered at that level and are seriously being recruited to that level.  SD is a small state and growing up in Rapid City or Faith and playing in Aberdeen, Sioux Falls or Brookings isn't that much more travel time than playing in Spearfish.  Kyle Doerr has not committed to BHSU.  He is still considering options and those do include DII offers.  

SDSU and USD going DI narrows the opportunities for SD athletes.  You can't win at the national level with a roster full of full-scholorship SD athletes.  It's not going to happen and get use to walkons from in state kids and very few full rides handed out.  Maybe at most 2 kids per year have the skill level required for these teams to be successful at that level unless you enjoy 4-8 win years.  Heck NDSU doesn't have many if any ND kids on full rides.  There is a reason for that and look at their recent success.

Louie has not verbally committed to SDSU.  I did not ask his mailman's-neighbors-girlfriends-brother-sisterin law who knows hoops.  I would rather go straight to the guys making the offers and receiving the commitments.  Almost as funny as the story I heard yesterday that 3 University of Iowa assistant coaches were in Parkston to watch him play.  These rumors get started by those who simply don't understand the process and don't care to learn what actually takes place.  Mike Miller, Joe Krabbenhoft, Jared Reiner never had three members of the same DI coaching staff at any of their HS games.  Neither has Louie Krogman.

Comment

Eric Krogman went to Augie
                    Zach Finley went to Princeton
                    Mitch Begeman went to USD
                    Adam Templeton went to UC Irvine
                    Just a couple other names that went D2 or higher in the last couple years.

Comment

Here is your list from the past four years.  The class of 2008 will be similar to the class of 2003....not many prospects.

Steven Smith - Creighton
                      Eric Mergen - Mankato
                      Eric Hall - USD
                      Dustin Little - USD
                      Colby Fitzgerald - USD
                      Matt Martin - Montana
                      Troy Wipf - SDSU
                      Ray Taken Alive - Augustana

Joe Krabbenhoft - Wisconsin
                      Adam Templeton - UC Irvine
                      Mitch Begeman - USD
                      Rane Mergen - USD
                      Eric Krogman - Augustana
                      Ryan Krome - Southwest Minnesota State
                      Blake Yackley - SDSU
                      Casey Anderson - NSU
                      Jesse Clark - Mankato

Mitch Boeck - NSU
                      Jordan King - NSU
                      Derek Hoellein - NSU
                      Michael Tveidt - NDSU
                      Zach Finley - Princeton
                      Tate Pesicka - USD
                      Anthony Cordova - SDSU
                      Ross VerHeul - St. Cloud

Dale Moss - SDSU
                      Sam Willard - Pacific
                      Adam Peterka - Augustana
                      Derek DeZeeuw - Augustana
                      Nathan Truex - Augustana

Comment

Jordan King - NSU
                        Mitch Boeck - NSU
                        Michael Tveidt - NDSU
                        Zach Finley - Princeton
                        Anthony Cordova - SDSU
                        Tate Pesicka - USD
                        Ross VerHeul - St. Cloud
                        Derick Hoelein - NSU

These are the ones I know off the top of my head and I may be missing some.

In the early signing period of 2006 there were only 5 athletes that signed DII and higher.  Now you can aruge the close to home theory and I'll say bunk!!!  You don't turn down DII offers to play at the NAIA level if you are offered at that level and are seriously being recruited to that level.  SD is a small state and growing up in Rapid City or Faith and playing in Aberdeen, Sioux Falls or Brookings isn't that much more travel time than playing in Spearfish.  Kyle Doerr has not committed to BHSU.  He is still considering options and those do include DII offers.  

SDSU and USD going DI narrows the opportunities for SD athletes.  You can't win at the national level with a roster full of full-scholorship SD athletes.  It's not going to happen and get use to walkons from in state kids and very few full rides handed out.  Maybe at most 2 kids per year have the skill level required for these teams to be successful at that level unless you enjoy 4-8 win years.  Heck NDSU doesn't have many if any ND kids on full rides.  There is a reason for that and look at their recent success.

Louie has not verbally committed to SDSU.  I did not ask his mailman's-neighbors-girlfriends-brother-sisterin law who knows hoops.  I would rather go straight to the guys making the offers and receiving the commitments.  Almost as funny as the story I heard yesterday that 3 University of Iowa assistant coaches were in Parkston to watch him play.  These rumors get started by those who simply don't understand the process and don't care to learn what actually takes place.  Mike Miller, Joe Krabbenhoft, Jared Reiner never had three members of the same DI coaching staff at any of their HS games.  Neith

Like I said you proballly know more then I do and your sources are probally better then mine, but I was at the P-town classic and I didn't see 3 assistants however at last years I did see one what I believed was an Iowa recruit that was talking to his dad, then afterwards went and talked to St. Tommy Moores coach, unless that was a STM recruit dressed in Iowa pull-over, with a polo and an Iowa clip board.

Renier had Alford himself come up to Tripp. And I didn't see Alford in Parkston so I doubt he is being recruited there.

I just think that if SDSU has a scholarship to offer that it would be smart to give it to him.

Comment

Well there you have answered your own question. College coaches are not permitted to talk to parents off campus. They don't carry clip boards around when they go out to see potential recruits play at games. Most sit in the stands as a dog and pony show and are there as a sign of support because in most cases they have offered the athlete and know they can play. It's not like they are taking notes the entire game. Yes I'm sure Steve Alford came to watch Jared play as did many DI head coaches come to see Mike Miller and Joe Krabbenhoft throughout their careers during open gyms, practices and games. When a kid is that talented the coaches flock to SD. They did for those three athletes in past years. Not many are coming here this year but in a few years they will be back.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...33/1002/SPORTS

Madison's hoop hype heats up
                            Unbeaten Bulldogs seek first boys title since 1945

By Stu Whitney
                            swhitney@argusleader.com
                            PUBLISHED: January 5, 2007
                            If there were any doubts about the surge of excitement surrounding Madison boys basketball this season, they were snuffed out Dec. 15.

The top-ranked Class A Bulldogs hosted Big Eight rival Lennox that night, and Madison's middle school gym - its home floor since 1998 - was bursting at the seams.

"They had to lock the doors by halftime of the JV game," says Coach Mike Ricke, whose Bulldogs (6-0) defeated Lennox 60-46. "They probably turned away 100 people that night. That's how much excitement there is in this community about what we've got going on."  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

I am beginning to think we can count on the sophmore verbals of White and Feigen. I admit to have been skeptical, but with the hype building in Madison and the publicty about the verbal committments, I don't think these two young men will change their minds. Something spectacular will have to be offered to make a change in mind.

Coach Nagy appears to have made a smart move by offering early.

This is good for Madison as you got to go back to days of Bob Rumrill, the Applewick Boys (1957) where they were even competitive in the ESD.  This would have been about the time of Don Jacobsen playing at Lake Norden.  Good basketball teams at Madison have been few and far between.

If the change to three class in basketball helped anyone, it helped Madison who seem to be competing as the smallest school in the ESD. They were the door mat for a long time.

Its great that Madison is turning people away as it has not always been that way.
                              Not a bad idea to go to Volga to see Feigen and White play as it sounds tricky to get inside the Madison Gym for a game.

Comment

If Sioux Valley continues with it's early season success, a seat in Volga in February might not be guaranteed either.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X