This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-09 Recruits

I stand corrected...you are right on that point about Koupol. It was the 2nd year I was thinking about. The coaches here had no idea she wasn't coming back until the last minute. Thanks for the obvious correction JimmyJack!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      [quote author=Haldersham link=1160372003/15#23 date=1166812705][quote author=89rabbit link=1160372003/15#22 date=1166801502]I agree with Cadsev 100%.  I am sure if we try long enough we could come up with 1000 or more reason why these two might not end up at SDSU, including but not limited to a meteor hitting Frost Arena and SDSU doing away with Men's Basketball.  However, what is most likely to happen is that these young men will wear the yellow and blue someday and it will be fun to watch then develop until they do.

Go State!  

One of the thousand reasons that no one has mentioned and that is these guys have minds of their own. There are other AAU events to be part of and unless they are under some contract with Dakota Schoolers, they could particiapate and get exposure to other D1 program coaches. A verbal committment is not a binding contract as Cadsev alluded to, but I just saying other offers could be out there before they finish from high school. They also have a right to change their mind.

Yes I missed your post that included mention that an offer had been made by Nagy. So Cadsev, I understand the how these things work and thanks for the explanation though. You must be very close to the recruiting processes to know and understand so much going on at SDSU. [/quote]

Haldersham,

Yup, great point that in fact could be yet another of the thousand reasons that these two don't end up at SDSU.  I still am inclined to believe that the most likely outcome of their verbal commitment to SDSU is that they will in fact honor their verbal commitment and end up wearing the yellow and blue.

You know to me this seems pretty simple.  If you are inclined to believe that these young men are coming to SDSU you probably will want to follow their careers and see how they are developing.  You might even want to discuss it with like minded individuals on say a fan board.  Read stories about them.   You know all the fan stuff.

If you are inclined to think that for any number of reasons that they probably won't end up at SDSU then there really is no reason to follow their careers or care how they develop.  You might not want to read or discuss how they are doing on a fan board.  You might find the discussion at waste of time.  That is ok too.  

If you don't think they are coming to SDSU, I am sure you are ok with those of us who think they are talking about it aren't you?  I think we all know that nothing is DONE until the ink is dry, but that shouldn’t stop us from discussing it should it?

Some people really like recruiting news.  There is a whole industry dedicated to it.  I think it is ok to discuss possibilities like James Granstra on this board and he hasn’t even verbally committed.  

I guess long story short I would hope that you won’t feel the need to share 1 of the 1000 reasons that they might not come every time White & Fiegen are brought up on the board, but you are certainly welcomed to do so if you see fit.

These are my personal feelings on the matter and in no way am I acting in my capacity as a global moderator on this issue, I will now step off my soap box.

Go State!  

[/quote]

No problems at all about these two verbal commitments, I too believe the orals will develope into signed letters of intent. I saying its a ways off and there is not guarentee at this point in time. I have sat in a Nike tourney in Las Vegas a few years back, and it seemed with all the coaches sitting in the bleachers and many coming and going it seem to me to be one big meat market, where there were more dollars available than meat to be sold. Everytime one of these kids participate in these tournies no matter who the sponsor, the oral commitment has an opportunity for fizzle thats all. Other coaches are going to have an opportunities to make an evaluation and also make an offer. Hopefully these two will remain loyal to their oral committment.

Comment

The thing is its a small state and the commitment has came out into the public. If I remember when Mike Miller was recruited to Florida, Roy Williams believed that he had a verbal out of him to go to Kansas and when Miller Signed at Florida, Roy was so convinced that there was a back door deal he pushed for an investigation into Florida's program, but again that was big colleges and a non-public verbal that Roy Williams believed he had. I don't see this kids going anywhere but to SDSU even if it is just for 1 year but I believe that by then SDSU will be a powerhosue in the Mid-Con and they won't want to leave.

Comment

This is still a part of the country where a mans word means something and I would think that their parents would make them honor their word. If they don't they don't but it is their problem and if the renig on us they will do it to others also. They will be fun to watch and I plan to see them sometime this year. Go State.

Comment

I see that Madison plays Sioux Valley in Volga on February 9th. Short trip over there for those of you in Brookings. Also, if you haven't seen SV play yet it's worth the drive. They have quite a few kids over 6'3"...probably about 5 or 6. I don't know if they have anyone who could be a Jackrabbit, but they're young and very good. I think it will be a good test for our recruits from Madison. I saw SV play Tea a couple of weeks ago and they won by 40 with their starters only playing about half the game.

Comment

I think for Nagy to make something of SDSU he has to recruit these areas, Illinois- this is his home state and he should know something about it he grabbed that kid last year that now is at Illinois and this year grabbed Callahan a kid that has played great. He should recruit Iowa- Iowa is a neiboring state and has mid major favor UNI, along with big 10 team Iowa, He needs to recruit Minnesota- Minnesota only has 1 D-1 college and I have a feeling that there is more D-1 athletes then U of Minnesota can handle. He alo needs to recruit south dakota- The reason I say this is because if you recruit the best kids from south dakota you start getting the next best to walk on. SDSU will have a chance to make it to the dance in a couple of years and if you ask the majority of high school kids that is what there college dreams would be, if you recruit the best kids you then have that 1 or 2 kids on every team that walk on because they think that they can play on that level. With high quallity walk-ons this allows you to fill a 15 man roster which allows for better practices and doesn't make you pull out your hair when you have a few injuries and also lets you red**** freshman that you think need it.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                I think for Nagy to make something of SDSU he has to recruit these areas, Illinois- this is his home state and he should know something about it he grabbed that kid last year that now is at Illinois and this year grabbed Callahan a kid that has played great. He should recruit Iowa- Iowa is a neiboring state and has mid major favor UNI, along with big 10 team Iowa, He needs to recruit Minnesota- Minnesota only has 1 D-1 college and I have a feeling that there is more D-1 athletes then U of Minnesota can handle. He alo needs to recruit south dakota- The reason I say this is because if you recruit the best kids from south dakota you start getting the next best to walk on. SDSU will have a chance to make it to the dance in a couple of years and if you ask the majority of high school kids that is what there college dreams would be, if you recruit the best kids you then have that 1 or 2 kids on every team that walk on because they think that they can play on that level. With high quallity walk-ons this allows you to fill a 15 man roster which allows for better practices and doesn't make you pull out your hair when you have a few injuries and also lets you red**** freshman that you think need it.
                Hate to break it to you Joe, Scott recruits these areas heavily. If you look through the past, some of our greatest players have come from Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and South Dakota. We got 4 from South Dakota, 3 from Iowa, 2 from Minnesota, 1 from Illinois. I think to get more success we have to go south, and west of here.

Comment

SD Prospects

Colton Iverson - Yankton
                  Can't see SDSU going after any other kids and there may be a scholarship for one athlete.  The 2008 class in SD is slimmer than the 2007 class when speaking about DII and higher caliber athletes.

Chad White - Madison
                  Tony Fiegen - Madison
                  Dusty Tetzlaff - Post Watertown (has a chance to be good depending on growth and development)
                  Both have already verballed no others have emerged in this class and scholarships are maxed out.

Cody Larson - 6'7" Wing SF Roosevelt
                  Adol Aluong - 6'0" PG SF Roosevelt
                  Jared Bartling - 6'8" Post SF Roosevelt
                  Marcus Hemestra - 6'7" Wing Rock Valley, IA

Zach Horstman - 6'4" Wing Winner

I'd list beyond but don't want to get bashed by people saying how can you talk about 7th graders.....while it's hard to predict the kids listed above are talented athletes and DI caliber.  

Comment

When is the early signing period? and does sdsu expect any signings during this period?

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
                      SD Prospects

Colton Iverson - Yankton
                      Can't see SDSU going after any other kids and there may be a scholarship for one athlete.  The 2008 class in SD is slimmer than the 2007 class when speaking about DII and higher caliber athletes.

Chad White - Madison
                      Tony Fiegen - Madison
                      Dusty Tetzlaff - Post Watertown (has a chance to be good depending on growth and development)
                      Both have already verballed no others have emerged in this class and scholarships are maxed out.

I'd list beyond but don't want to get bashed by people saying how can you talk about 7th graders.....while it's hard to predict the kids listed above are talented athletes and DI caliber.  
                      How about Krogman-White River from the 2008 class.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                        When is the early signing period? and does sdsu expect any signings during this period?
                        The early signing period for 2007 seniors was in November. The late signing period is either April or May. They signed Dale Moss in November.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                          [quote author=Cadsev link=1160372003/30#37 date=1167808333]SD Prospects

Colton Iverson - Yankton

Chad White - Madison
                          Tony Fiegen - Madison

How about Krogman-White River from the 2008 class.[/quote]

I'd be shocked if SDSU signed Krogman. Thats not the direction they need to take to improve.

Comment

[quote author=joeboo22 link=1160372003/30#38 date=1167814264]When is the early signing period? and does sdsu expect any signings during this period?
                            The early signing period for 2007 seniors was in November.  The late signing period is either April or May.  They signed Dale Moss in November.[/quote]

And Clint Sargent.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...cfm?ID=46,5494

Go State!

Comment

First polls of the year have Dale Moss and BV #1 and Madison with 2 future Jackrabbits #1. I'll continue to take an interest in both teams, never would have done that before this season.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'd be shocked if SDSU signed Krogman.  Thats not the direction they need to take to improve.
                                Can you explain why the Krogman kid wouldn't be a good fit for our program?  Does he play in a position that we don't need or is there something about him that most people are unaware of?  I've only heard really good things about him but I've never seen him first hand so I can't make my own judgement.  

Comment

Working...
                                X