This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Recruits

Patrick Reusse mentioned this about Jack recruit Cody Schilling in his startribune column:
    http://www.startribune.com/508/story/1081122.html
    Schilling and his team just won the State tournament not too long ago.

North Dakota State was the biggest program pursuing the 6-6 Schilling before the tournament. There are higher-profile D-I schools now interested, perhaps including Colorado State, where North Dakota State's Tim Miles was hired last week.

Comment

I really wish we could get him.

Comment

Cody Schilling is not 6'6", he is around 6'2". A great player, but like most stand-outs he will go to a winning program. Does anyone think the womens program would attrack top talent without being a winning program? It won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksRule
          Cody Schilling is not 6'6", he is around 6'2". A great player, but like most stand-outs he will go to a winning program. Does anyone think the womens program would attrack top talent without being a winning program? It won't happen.

You so right.  Say who is that standing next to Steve Nash at the Nike All-Canada camp?   ;D

Go State!  

Comment

Ok....I'll gve Cody 6'4".

Comment

Originally posted by JacksRule
              He's in the 6'4" range.....6'6" is a stretch. He's athletic and plays well above 6'4". This summer is huge for him. If he has success he could see many offers from the small to mid major level. I haven't heard of any High Majors buzzing about him including MN, Iowa State, Iowa and any Missouri Valley schools. Many are suspect of his shooting ability and consistency. He's definately a slasher and can get to the rim with ease. If he shoots the ball well this summer, showing consistency and range against talented athletes he'll have plenty of opportunities. Still I think that his summer teams biggest drawl is Colton Iverson. Funny things happen to athletes who aren't the focal point. More opportunities can instantly come their way when they have a great summer game. Getting seen at the right time is the trickier part. I'll be curious to see if he goes far from home. Distance could be a factor. Many kids think that it's cool to go far away and then they find out that not having mom and dad at each game or available after a game to get a bite to eat isn't too cool. College is much more demanding than HS and it is a much longer season. You need support to get through it and the further away you go the less support you have. I do know that the SDSU coaches are high on Cody's ability. Will he be interested in SDSU?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
                  [quote author=JacksRule link=1160372003/225#227 date=1175305597]Cody Schilling is not 6'6", he is around 6'2". A great player, but like most stand-outs he will go to a winning program. Does anyone think the womens program would attrack top talent without being a winning program? It won't happen.
                  He's in the 6'4" range.....6'6" is a stretch.  He's athletic and plays well above 6'4".  This summer is huge for him.  If he has success he could see many offers from the small to mid major level.  I haven't heard of any High Majors buzzing about him including MN, Iowa State, Iowa and any Missouri Valley schools.  Many are suspect of his shooting ability and consistency.  He's definately a slasher and can get to the rim with ease.  If he shoots the ball well this summer, showing consistency and range against talented athletes he'll have plenty of opportunities.  Still I think that his summer teams biggest drawl is Colton Iverson.  Funny things happen to athletes who aren't the focal point.  More opportunities can instantly come their way when they have a great summer game.  Getting seen at the right time is the trickier part.  I'll be curious to see if he goes far from home.  Distance could be a factor.  Many kids think that it's cool to go far away and then they find out that not having mom and dad at each game or available after a game to get a bite to eat isn't too cool.  College is much more demanding than HS and it is a much longer season.  You need support to get through it and the further away you go the less support you have.  I do know that the SDSU coaches are high on Cody's ability.  Will he be interested in SDSU?[/quote]

I talked to Matt Malloy about Cody's game and he said he was very streaky player... I checked there team stats and it backed it up, I believe he made the all-tournament team at the Howard Pully tournament last year but he didn't post the stats at other tournaments.

As far as that team goes, I've talked to many people and it goes like this.
                  Louie Krogman- funest to watch
                  Colton Iverson- best college prospect
                  Jared Vlastuin- most athletic  
                  Cody Schilling- hes kind of forgoten, not alot of sd fans know what exacually he is. he comes from a small high school where you are forced to play out of possition and it will be fun to see how he will play with a supporting class and playing that 1 main possition.

And Cadsev I think you hit it right on.. Alot of these kids from small town schools go on these summer teams and see the country and love it then go there and realize that if your luckey you might get 2 weekends off to go home and maybe your parents can come watch you play 2 games and realize that maybe the small D-I school down the road might of been a better option.

Comment

Cody Schilling may not be known by many SD fans of HS hoops but he's not forgotten on a national level.  He has the most recruiting of all the SD Heat players to date and will have some options come August.  He might not be the most recruitable on the team but he'll turn some heads and offers more value than others on the squad.  There is a reason that he's got some options right now.  Not as many as he'd like but still it's great to have options.

Colton Iverson is the most recruitable but he's a junior and it doesn't fair well for him when the question asked of college coaches on a mid - high DI scale is "what are you doing with Colton Iverson?" and the overwhelming response is "Who?".  In all honesty this kids recruitment should be done by this stage in his career and not just now starting up or at the very least offers from more than the local DI's.  I realize that SDSU & NDSU have both offered but the DII's in SD won't bother calling or offering him because they state that he's too good for their level.  They know they have no shot at him and could be a high major.  

Louie Krogram is third in this recognition contest and although adorned by many in SD, since the state tournament, Louie doesn't have the national appeal or recognition that the other two have.  It's damn difficult for 6 foot guards to be recruited natinally when you grow up in SD.  I'll leave it at that.

Iverson has the best chance of the three to get into one of the revamped national camps (Reebok in Philadelphia or possibly the Nike big man camp)  If he gets into a camp then his stock could rise instantly similar to Jared Reiners recruitment.  In 1999 Jared Reiner didn't have a national name until the Adidas ABCD camp and in one week was one of the most sought after athletes in the country.  Bigs are hard to find.  Skilled bigs even harder.  Iverson is a fringe high major player and wouldn't be shocked to see him end up at that level, but marketing is key and being seen more important.  The window of opportunity is small for him, but he'll have a ton of offers.  More than Louie and Cody combined.

As for the distance factor not many kids from SD have returned to SD from the DI level.  Steven Smith's name come to mind right away but that was due mostly to injuries and not talent.  Had he stayed healthy he most likely would have stayed at Creighton.  We simply don't produce that many DI basketball players.  I don't by the statement that kids didn't go to a DI or DII school because they wanted to stay close to home.  It's more like, they didn't have any other choices and took the best offer on the table.   Right now the following are playing DI outside of SD:

Joe Krabbenhoft -- Wisconsin
                    Paige Paulson -- UW Milwaukee
                    Zach Finley -- Princeton
                    Matt Martin -- Montana
                    Michael Tveidt -- NDSU
                    Adam Templeton -- UC Irvine

Tveidt hasn't played yet but the other five have had OUTSTANDING careers to date and doubt that they come back this way.  Finley is an unknowed with the coaching change.

Next year you can add Sam Willard to the list.  Three of his final four school choices had head coaching changes at the end of this season.  Looks like he made a solid decision in selecting Pacific.  

Comment

Okay, bballfan, I'll say it: great looking kid in the picture with Nash!  

Kai is destined to lead the Jacks to great heights.

Go Jacks!

Comment

I love that picture, hopefully our lil canadian will have the career nash has had, remember Nash only had 1 D-I scholarship

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                          I love that picture, hopefully our lil canadian will have the career nash has had, remember Nash only had 1 D-I scholarship
                          So Kai has more than one scholarship here at State?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                            [quote author=Cadsev link=1160372003/225#230 date=1175319578][quote author=JacksRule link=1160372003/225#227 date=1175305597]Cody Schilling is not 6'6", he is around 6'2". A great player, but like most stand-outs he will go to a winning program. Does anyone think the womens program would attrack top talent without being a winning program? It won't happen.
                            He's in the 6'4" range.....6'6" is a stretch.  He's athletic and plays well above 6'4".  This summer is huge for him.  If he has success he could see many offers from the small to mid major level.  I haven't heard of any High Majors buzzing about him including MN, Iowa State, Iowa and any Missouri Valley schools.  Many are suspect of his shooting ability and consistency.  He's definately a slasher and can get to the rim with ease.  If he shoots the ball well this summer, showing consistency and range against talented athletes he'll have plenty of opportunities.  Still I think that his summer teams biggest drawl is Colton Iverson.  Funny things happen to athletes who aren't the focal point.  More opportunities can instantly come their way when they have a great summer game.  Getting seen at the right time is the trickier part.  I'll be curious to see if he goes far from home.  Distance could be a factor.  Many kids think that it's cool to go far away and then they find out that not having mom and dad at each game or available after a game to get a bite to eat isn't too cool.  College is much more demanding than HS and it is a much longer season.  You need support to get through it and the further away you go the less support you have.  I do know that the SDSU coaches are high on Cody's ability.  Will he be interested in SDSU?[/quote]

I talked to Matt Malloy about Cody's game and he said he was very streaky player... I checked there team stats and it backed it up, I believe he made the all-tournament team at the Howard Pully tournament last year but he didn't post the stats at other tournaments.

As far as that team goes, I've talked to many people and it goes like this.
                            Louie Krogman- funest to watch
                            Colton Iverson- best college prospect
                            Jared Vlastuin- most athletic  
                            Cody Schilling- hes kind of forgoten, not alot of sd fans know what exacually he is. he comes from a small high school where you are forced to play out of possition and it will be fun to see how he will play with a supporting class and playing that 1 main possition.

And Cadsev I think you hit it right on.. Alot of these kids from small town schools go on these summer teams and see the country and love it then go there and realize that if your luckey you might get 2 weekends off to go home and maybe your parents can come watch you play 2 games and realize that maybe the small D-I school down the road might of been a better option.[/quote]

Schilling was hurt for some of the summer basketball season last year. As in, he wasn't even able to play in some of the tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                              [quote author=joeboo22 link=1160372003/225#235 date=1175404818]I love that picture, hopefully our lil canadian will have the career nash has had, remember Nash only had 1 D-I scholarship
                              So Kai has more than one scholarship here at State?[/quote]

Offer sorry, I don't know how many Kai had but I believe there wasn't too many..

About Schilling that makes sence I remember hearing something about one of there players getting hurt I just thought it was somebody else though.

Comment

Boyer was also hurt - they had alot of injuries last year.

Schilling didn't play at least 2 of the tournaments, and it could be more.

Comment

Working...
                                X