2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Jordan Dykstra ended up scoring 36. Marcus Heemstra scored 35.

Comment

Went down to Rock Valley last night to see the district tournament game with Gehlen Catholic to check out next fall's recruits. Was a lot of fun to watch...Rock Valley won by about 20, but GC had some pretty good guards and kept it close in the first half, and RV didn't quite have as good a supporting cast for their taller duo. Dykstra had 26 points and 12 rebounds and Heemstra had 19 and 7. Was impressed by how both handle the ball, they can dribble and drive pretty well for their size. Will be fun to see them on the roster next fall!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        Went down to Rock Valley last night to see the district tournament game with Gehlen Catholic to check out next fall's recruits. Was a lot of fun to watch...Rock Valley won by about 20, but GC had some pretty good guards and kept it close in the first half, and RV didn't quite have as good a supporting cast for their taller duo. Dykstra had 26 points and 12 rebounds and Heemstra had 19 and 7. Was impressed by how both handle the ball, they can dribble and drive pretty well for their size. Will be fun to see them on the roster next fall!!!
        Thanks, looks like we are getting the inside players we need desparately.

Comment

What body type do they have? Do they have good frames? Muscular?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
            What body type do they have? Do they have good frames? Muscular?
            Heemstra is very thin and I don't think he has a large frame. I've seen him in person in street clothes and on the court on television. Dykstra has a larger frame and more muscle bulk right now.

The both like to face the basket, penetrate, shoot the 3. Heemstra is an excellent passer while Dykstra seems to be more interested in scoring. They are both excellent rebounders.

Neither one are classic "post-players". Dykstra seems like more of a "4" guy while Heemstra is more like a point-forward. I don't know if that makes any sense.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Heemstra is very thin and I don't think he has a large frame. I've seen him in person in street clothes and on the court on television. Dykstra has a larger frame and more muscle bulk right now.

The both like to face the basket, penetrate, shoot the 3. Heemstra is an excellent passer while Dykstra seems to be more interested in scoring. They are both excellent rebounders.

Neither one are classic "post-players". Dykstra seems like more of a "4" guy while Heemstra is more like a point-forward. I don't know if that makes any sense.
              I've seen them both play twice and that is a pretty accurate summation.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

There's been a lot of talk about the elbow from Huron's Terrell Newton that broke the jaw of O'Gorman's Sterling Nielsen during the Knights' 61-41 victory over the Tigers on Feb. 20.

Nielsen, who leads the Knights in scoring, avoided surgery but is on a liquid diet for four weeks. He is being fitted for a custom-made mask and could see action in the District 1AA tournament, which starts Tuesday as O'Gorman hosts Brookings.

Many O'Gorman supporters have called the swinging elbow from Newton a cheap shot, while Huron coach Tim Buddenhagen steadfastly defended his player in an e-mail I received after addressing the injury last week.

To clear up any misconceptions and move the issue beyond the level of hearsay, here's a video of the incident so you can decide for yourself:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

So what do people that viewed this think?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                  There's been a lot of talk about the elbow from Huron's Terrell Newton that broke the jaw of O'Gorman's Sterling Nielsen during the Knights' 61-41 victory over the Tigers on Feb. 20.

Nielsen, who leads the Knights in scoring, avoided surgery but is on a liquid diet for four weeks. He is being fitted for a custom-made mask and could see action in the District 1AA tournament, which starts Tuesday as O'Gorman hosts Brookings.

Many O'Gorman supporters have called the swinging elbow from Newton a cheap shot, while Huron coach Tim Buddenhagen steadfastly defended his player in an e-mail I received after addressing the injury last week.

To clear up any misconceptions and move the issue beyond the level of hearsay, here's a video of the incident so you can decide for yourself:

To me, it looked like that was on purpose.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Word of advice.....link this instead of completely copying and pasting.

Not sure he intended on hurting him, but he shouldn't have swung through at the head level. Probably should get a game or two on the bench. Glad the Jacks are interested in this kid.

Comment

I said it before & I'll say it again - the video only shows the elbow, it doesn't show what let UP to the elbow. After watching the IUPUI game there is a lot of back and forth that happens that can 'brew up' and lead to an unfortunate incident like this. If the Huron kid has a history of being a 'punk' - you have to take that into account, but it's hard for me to pass judgement on just the 29 second video. (It was a ROUNDHOUSE elbow at head level, though?!)

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                        I said it before & I'll say it again - the video only shows the elbow, it doesn't show what let UP to the elbow. After watching the IUPUI game there is a lot of back and forth that happens that can 'brew up' and lead to an unfortunate incident like this. If the Huron kid has a history of being a 'punk' - you have to take that into account, but it's hard for me to pass judgement on just the 29 second video. (It was a ROUNDHOUSE elbow at head level, though?!)
                        I agree, based on this video you can't really say if he tried to hit the OG kid. Don't know much about the kid, and quite frankly I am not giving much weight to the previous discussions on the board, so can't comment on his "reputation."

RabbitNation, since you didn't give credit to Mr. Whitney, are you him?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Why is this in 2010 recruits, this kid isn't being recruited by SDSU is he? Shouldn't this be in "Around South Dakota" or something?

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                            It was the second elbow that he threw in the video. Newton maybe has matured a little, but he is still a thug and I pity the poor school that ends up with him. This kid will never be considered a good role model. Maybe he can go to ORU or OU.

Comment

Boy, I really don't think that was just a basketball move. Even without seeing the rest of the game, that elbow wasn't called for and it was a pretty cheap shot.

As for it being in the 2010 recruits, other posters (or maybe it was just one) have made a reference that the Jacks should look at this guy as a recruit. Don't know if it is actually happening or if it was just wishful thinking of the poster.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                                It was the second elbow that he threw in the video. Newton maybe has matured a little, but he is still a thug and I pity the poor school that ends up with him. This kid will never be considered a good role model. Maybe he can go to ORU or OU.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa...since when did ORU and OU turn into "thug" programs?? As far as I can tell the players on those teams have done nothing to warrant this comment since SDSU has been playing them in conference play.
                                I could give two s#$ts about this kid from Huron and wether or not it was "intentional" or not...guess what...none of us will never know besides him. But let's not be dragging two of the best Summit League teams into the conversation by escentially saying they run "thug" programs.

This board's been interesting lately and I think that's putting it politely. I'll leave it at that.

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X