Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    One more thing, for every Chris White you can name from a large city who made a big splash at SDSU, I can name you 2 washouts/average players.
    Eventually we will have players from all over urban, suburban and rural. I do agree they need to be the best choices and where they come from is very secondary. I was not arguing for a all black team, although the athleticism is often very gifted in nature.

As far as wash outs, Jim Marking's most known star at Hayti Garney Henley was at SDSU one week before he transferred to Huron College. Its hard to imagine being overwhelmed by a mid 1950's campus of maybe 3000 students, but it did happen. I guess we have to include Henley as part of the washouts/average players even though he broke all kinds of NAIA record and had a complete career of playing and coaching in the CFL. Henley was a pretty decent bb Player as well as a running back.

As far as locals you could assemble a long list of average/washoutS too, so I dont get your point.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 03-14-2010, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
      Saw Nagy today at a youth tournament in Sioux Falls for 4th-8th grade teams and ask him if he saw any future Jacks and he just smiled. You would not believe some of the players in 8th grade and the size they have. Paul Seville ( Dakota Schoolers) was also there as an official of the 8th grade Division.
      I watched some 7-8 grade Backcourt club ball today in Fergus Falls. I did not see Saul Phillips there but he might have a few good ones coming down the road. These kids are fun to watch. They are learning but often they love to crash towards the basket and be the hero only to create a very recognizable turnover. At times their skills surprise you only to see them do something that you would think they know not to do.

Was one of Nagy's sons playing? They are about that age I believe.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 03-14-2010, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I watched some 7-8 grade Backcourt club ball today in Fergus Falls. I did not see Saul Phillips there but he might have a few good ones coming down the road. These kids are fun to watch. They are learning but often they love to crash towards the basket and be the hero only to create a very recognizable turnover. At times their skills surprise you only to see them do something that you would think they know not to do.

Was one of Nagy's sons playing? They are about that age I believe.
        Yes, one is an 8th grader and a pretty darn good bball player too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
          Yes, one is an 8th grader and a pretty darn good bball player too.
          Yes, Nagy's son was playing, and my son at halftime of his game game went up to him as he was standing between the two courts and said "Hi" and Nagy asked what division he was playing in and he said: 4th grade division with a 3rd grade team and my son is only a 2nd grader. Nagy smiled and than watched the 2nd half. The kids where so proud. The want to change our team name next year to the Jackrabbits or just Jacks! We have all eight players coming to the SDSU camp this summer from Sioux Falls.

Comment

Back on subject, I wonder if our recruits are coming in this summer for school and to start workouts and play some pick up games? Anyone have any information on this?

Comment

I believe they do report to campus sometime in June/July to take some summer classes and participate in free play and pick-up games with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Neither are really "inside" guys. Dykstra could play with his back to the basket but I don't think he would prefer it. Heemstra is a face the basket offensive threat right now.

Both are tall and both can rebound but I think that is primarily because of their height advantage at the Iowa IA level. I'm not sure how well that will translate to NCAA DI basketball. I don't know much about either ones shot blocking abilities.

In other words, I don't think either one of them will be a solution to our weakness inside next year.
                I thought that Iowa State wanted to turn Dykstra into a 3 but realized he was basically going to be an inside guy. Heemstra is more of a 3 but could play 1 4 in the Summit. Look at Kai Williams. Guy came in a 6'6 3 and ended up our 2nd best rebounder ever (Dykstra and Heemstra are in the 6'8-6'9 category). What do I know, but I think we're set on 2's and 3's (Sarg, Grif, Moss, White, Carlson, Rader) and that the Iowa kids will both be groomed to play inside. No way we go into next yr w/ Cordova, Fiegen and Cassaday as our only inside guys. Heemstra and Dykstra inside would present some big matchups problems w/ most Summit teams.

I say play both right away and make a run at the conference title!

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                  I say play both right away and make a run at the conference title!
                  Agreed. With Dykstra, Heemstra, White, Fiegen, and Carlson, we have a nice nucleus of young players to go with Palarca, Cordova, Moss, and Sargent.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Agreed. With Dykstra, Heemstra, White, Fiegen, and Carlson, we have a nice nucleus of young players to go with Palarca, Cordova, Moss, and Sargent.
                    Wolters Wolters Wolters Wolters Wolters!!!!

Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      This group with Wolters, Griffen and Radar make a really tall team. Other than Palarca, they are average to tall for their positions. The question will be are they strong/big enough down low and are they athletic enough. If you're a 6'6" guard, you can shoot over most defenders. I know that the seniors are gone but I still think this team is getting better each year. We just need somebody to step up and take/make the shot during crunch time.

Comment

Blog mentioning Heemstra and Dykstra:

http://tdsand3s.com/content/node/381
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My Boss's dad went to the Iowa State Championships to watch the games. He came back and said SDSU has a new fan. He couldn't believe how court aware and basketball smart the two young men were.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

Yup. And Wolters. Very early in the morning when I made that post.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

I thought the chant was Wolters Wolters.... Wolters Wolters....
                              cus that affected his game... I love how the NDSU fans felt it necessary to get the IPFW band to chant that.. Stupid IMO, but par for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                I thought the chant was Wolters Wolters.... Wolters Wolters....
                                cus that affected his game... I love how the NDSU fans felt it necessary to get the IPFW band to chant that.. Stupid IMO, but par for the course.
                                But the way Bison fans chant "Wolters" is so smooth... so maybe they are just trying to imitate his game?
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X