2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

30 - 25 Rock Valley at the half of the Iowa 1A Title Game.

Dykstra - 8pts, 6 rebounds
    Heemstra - 8pts, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      30 - 25 Rock Valley at the half of the Iowa 1A Title Game.

Dykstra - 8pts, 6 rebounds
      Heemstra - 8pts, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
      Yeah, so what? Those two don't have the athletic ability to really succeed in D-I, because SDSU will never be able to recruit athletes to compete with the racehorses at the top of the Summit League.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Free audio for the game is here: http://www.ihssn.com/#

64-38 Rock Valley, as of right now . . .
        Rebounding is 34-17 Rock Valley . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

68-51 Rock Valley is your final.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As previously mentioned, Rock Valley won the state title game by a final score of 68-51.

Stat Line:
            Dykstra: 21 points
            Heemstra: 19 points
            *didn't mention rebounds/assists on the radio broadcast, but I know Dykstra had a double - double and Heemstra might of had one too, and probably had 6 or 7 assists to go along with it.

Both players made all tournament team.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Here's the stats for the championship game:

http://www.iahsaa.org/basketball/201...ment/101a8.htm

Dykstra had 13 rebounds, 3 assists, Heemstra 8 and 6.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Final Thoughts:

I watched the entire game on webcast, which is the first time I have got to see these two play beyond watching highlights. You can put me in the camp that thinks Heemstra has the most upside out of the two, and that isn't a knock on Dykstra, but rather directed towards how much potential Heemstra possesses.

Dykstra: He had a tough game shooting from the outside, but still managed to put in 21 despite this and getting double teamed every time he touched the ball (sometimes triple teamed). Moves great for his size, and might be faster than some realize due to how long his strides are. Fierce rebounder that will bring an attitude to the Jacks that we have really have lacked lately. Has the ability to step outside to shoot or drive, which will make him a tough player to guard in the Summit if he can make his defender respect his outside shot. Currently has a more polished game than Heemstra.

Heemstra: I can't say enough about this kid's vision and ability to pass the ball, I was in awe of this the entire game. If he develops his post moves he literally could be one of the toughest players to defend in the Summit, because if he can win 1v1 match ups, he'll force a double team, and he could really tear a team apart with his passing. If he can make teams respect his free throw line jumper, he could be devastating running the high/low on offense (especially with Dykstra). Just like Dykstra, moves significantly well for his size, and has the ability to defend the perimeter. Just can't say enough about this kid's potential.

Both these kids will have to get use to playing against taller/stronger/quicker players than they faced in high school, but will still be taller than most, and if they aren't taller, they sure the heck will be quicker than any big man in the Summit. Hopefully they get lots of work in this summer to speed their transition from high school to college, as they have the ability to play and be major contributors right away.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  Yeah, so what? Those two don't have the athletic ability to really succeed in D-I, because SDSU will never be able to recruit athletes to compete with the racehorses at the top of the Summit League.

I think these two will be very good, but dominating in a 1A Championship in Iowa and dominating against the elite teams and players in the Summit League are two very different things. IUPUI, Oakland, Oral Roberts and yes even UMKC have an advantage of being in Metro areas with a lot of talent. So far we have shown we can recruit local kids and kids from small rural areas, but it's going to take more than that to be consistently in the mix for conference championships and Nagy has said that from the beginning of the move up. Problem is we are having a hard time recruiting those players. Hopefully Austin Hanson can help change that.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I think these two will be very good, but dominating in a 1A Championship in Iowa and dominating against the elite teams and players in the Summit League are two very different things. IUPUI, Oakland, Oral Roberts and yes even UMKC have an advantage of being in Metro areas with a lot of talent. So far we have shown we can recruit local kids and kids from small rural areas, but it's going to take more than that to be consistently in the mix for conference championships and Nagy has said that from the beginning of the move up. Problem is we are having a hard time recruiting those players. Hopefully Austin Hanson can help change that.
                    Watching the Summit L finals men, I wondered how in the world did we ever play either team close and in some cases win? I believe it has to be good defense that stops the flow of both offenses and they never get that flow going. I was amazed how quickly the ball got up court for both teams.

I think we will get there. One of these days a Chris White or several of them will show up. The interesting part about Chris's story is that he did not think Coach Thorson was serious when he offered a scholarship, for him to want him to come to the Dakotas and go to school and play basketball, and yet I believe Chris is still living in Sioux Falls. People especially young ones can adapt to just about any enviroment.

So if we are concerned about attracting inner city or urban players, we have to stand in line as there are quite a few bigger RPI's in line and we need to move up there to get their attention. Our day will come.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      So far we have shown we can recruit local kids and kids from small rural areas, but it's going to take more than that to be consistently in the mix for conference championships and Nagy has said that from the beginning of the move up.
                      I'm sorry, you're wrong. I get sick and tired of people who think we won't be able to win without players from large cities. I'm not saying we shouldn't recruit cities, but I am saying we should recruit the best available players who we actually have a chance at getting and who want to come to Brookings.

Kai came from Canada and he is a top 5 scorer and rebounder in school history. Garrett played at a small school in Illinois?

I don't care if a kid comes from Reliance, if he can play ball, he can play ball. And if he can play well enough and perform in the classroom, I'll be glad to welcome him onto the Jackrabbits basketball team.

In today's day and age of summer tournaments, rural kids who can play have every advantage of city kids. City kids used to have the advantage because they could play pickup ball all summer long. Now rural kids who show talent early get on teams like the Dakota Schoolers and put in just as many hours bouncing a ball against the same competition as an inner city Chicago kid.

One more thing, for every Chris White you can name from a large city who made a big splash at SDSU, I can name you 2 washouts/average players.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Watching the Summit L finals men, I wondered how in the world did we ever play either team close and in some cases win?
                        Depth.

IUPUI plays a 6 man rotation, and Oakland plays a 7 man rotation. And the 6th & 7th guys on their respective teams -don't- play a lot of minutes.

IUPUI & Oakland play similar styles, so when they play each other, they'll look different than when they play an SDSU that plays a very different style.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          I'm sorry, you're wrong. I get sick and tired of people who think we won't be able to win without players from large cities. I'm not saying we shouldn't recruit cities, but I am saying we should recruit the best available players who we actually have a chance at getting and who want to come to Brookings.

Kai came from Canada and he is a top 5 scorer and rebounder in school history. Garrett played at a small school in Illinois?

I don't care if a kid comes from Reliance, if he can play ball, he can play ball. And if he can play well enough and perform in the classroom, I'll be glad to welcome him onto the Jackrabbits basketball team.

In today's day and age of summer tournaments, rural kids who can play have every advantage of city kids. City kids used to have the advantage because they could play pickup ball all summer long. Now rural kids who show talent early get on teams like the Dakota Schoolers and put in just as many hours bouncing a ball against the same competition as an inner city Chicago kid.

One more thing, for every Chris White you can name from a large city who made a big splash at SDSU, I can name you 2 washouts/average players.
                          ^^^This

Get the best possible players for the program regardless of whether they are from the city or the farm. Talent is talent regardless of its origin.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Can't wait to see our IA big men play!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              ^^^This

Get the best possible players for the program regardless of whether they are from the city or the farm. Talent is talent regardless of its origin.
                              Cody Schilling played in a high school that is probably one of the 5 or 6 smallest in Minnesota. Not sure if he could do here what he is doing at Augie,but he would definitely make a strong contribution at this level.

Comment

Saw Nagy today at a youth tournament in Sioux Falls for 4th-8th grade teams and ask him if he saw any future Jacks and he just smiled. You would not believe some of the players in 8th grade and the size they have. Paul Seville ( Dakota Schoolers) was also there as an official of the 8th grade Division.

Comment

Working...
                                X