Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
    The population of Regina is about 200,000.
    We have 2,200 kids playing community basketball.
    Kai was the only kid ever in Sask to be put on the Canada Basketball Depth Chart in Grade 7.
    Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Basketball must not be that big in Canada then or Sask atleast... because of the gyms he was playing in looked like what the small towns in South Dakota have for gyms....
    2,200 kids participating in one town is big, I dunno if you can't count but that's more people than 95% of the schools in South Dakota have. Maybe Canadian high schools don't focus as much on athletics as American schools seem to do. Not everyone focuses on Basketball, I mean look at NDSU's basketball facility, and other basketball facilities. Not everyone has those great Taj Mahal facilities, but they can still get the recruits in. Looking forward to seeing what the 2010 class will bring us because it's probably going to be a good size class for SDSU.

Comment

Basketball must not be that big in Canada then or Sask atleast... because of the gyms he was playing in looked like what the small towns in South Dakota have for gyms....

My geography teacher told us to go to Regina when we go to Canada because its the place or something like that... And my supertendent (who is from Canada) from high school gave me all of us $2 canadian coins that say D G Regina I don't know if that has anything to do with Regina or not....

No crap basketball isn't that big or the the number one sport in Canada ... ever hear of hockey? Basketball is growing in popularity in Canada, but hockey is still the number one sport. Ever wonder why Canada has one NBA team, but 6 NHL teams?

In all fairness to you, South Dakota is a big basketball state. When Ms. Williams stated that 2,200 kids were playing basketball in Regina, I think she included young kids and not just high schoolers. If that is what she meant, I don't know if 2,200 is that much. I presume Sioux Falls, with just short of 150,000 people, has more than 2,200 kids playing community basketball.

Comment

I meant young kids not including any high school teams ages 7 to 12.
        HOCKEY is THEE sport in CANADA any Province you live in.

EAST COAST, WEST COAST Millions of people, = More playing basketball. But still not as many as HOCKEY.
        Prarie Provinces Sask Manitoba and Alberta. not as many people = not as many playing basketball

I really dislike comparing kids each kid has various levels of skill at different times in their lives....particularly when noone really knows the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
          I really dislike comparing kids each kid has various levels of skill at different times in their lives....particularly when noone really knows the kid.
          Amem, that's why I made my first response to this thread and a certain individual feels I know nothing and not worthy of making a such post. I also thank Cadsev for making similar points and doing so in a very professional and elegant manner.

I will say this and will say it again, that Kai Williams is a very big asset to the SDSU basketball program and what CadSev told him personally is correct. Kai like everyone else in this world can improve and I am sure he will and it will be a sad day when Senior night rolls around here in two years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
            Cody Larson is three years away from stepping on a college floor. Unlike Kai he'll have a ton of exposure to High Major schools and that will help him land a scholarship at that level some day. Kai could possibly have had the same or similar opportunities if he had the same opportunities and skill set as an 8th grader on up. I do not know and don't want to speculate because I did not know him as an 8th grader. I do respect what he does today for SDSU and think that he's a steal for their level and a tremendous athlete/basketball player. I can only hope that Cody Larson turns out as good some day down the road...time will tell.

Larson is all "potential" right now. From talking to people who see him everyday, he's the real deal, talent-wise. He shows glimpses of the immense talent at times, but is inconsistent...which is to be expected of a young sophomore in the AA highschool level. He has the quickness, heighth, genetics and hops to be a stud. Caddie's been touting him for years and he's been a known commodity at Roosevelt for as long. It will be fun to see him grow in the next couple of years. I am just going to miss seeing him play this weekend, but will likely get the full report from his coach the next day. For what it's worth, I doubt SDSU will have a shot at signing him.

For those in the Sioux Falls area, Roosevelt plays this Saturday against OG (right?) at the arena for what should be a great game.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

My geography teacher told us to go to Regina when we go to Canada because its the place or something like that... And my supertendent (who is from Canada) from high school gave me all of us $2 canadian coins that say D G Regina I don't know if that has anything to do with Regina or not....
              And I am now dumber because I read this.

Comment

I had the chance to watch Cody Larsen tonight in Sturgis. He's really good. He would look very nice in an SDSU jersey. I doubt we'll see that happen though. He went for 19 and 9.

Comment

Two nights ago I watched Brown put up 26 points in the first half against a decent Flandreau team. This was my first time seeing him in person this year. He does need to get much stronger, but the kid can handle the ball and his ability to adjust his shot is remarkable.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

My only concern for Larson and the other Super Sophs in the class of 2010 at Roosevelt is the lack of coaching there. For a team with the skilled players they have had over the years to not win a state title is a crime. If anyone watched how that team was coached and executed down the stretch against Huron you know what I'm talking about. Would love to see what Munson or Norberg could do with that kind of talent!

Comment

I'm not an expert and cannot criticize coaching but there is an awful lot of basic talent there. A good college coach can cure a lot of ills during a redshirt freshman year.

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      My only concern for Larson and the other Super Sophs in the class of 2010 at Roosevelt is the lack of coaching there. For a team with the skilled players they have had over the years to not win a state title is a crime. If anyone watched how that team was coached and executed down the stretch against Huron you know what I'm talking about. Would love to see what Munson or Norberg could do with that kind of talent!
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I didn't see the Huron game, but I'd hesitate to judge any coach based on a game or two. I'd say Bob Wilber's a proven coach. He played at Augie in college and was a college head coach (Mount Marty) before taking over at Roosevelt.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I can't judge Coach Wilber, haven't seen Roosevelt play. I know someone on this forum who knows him pretty well. I wonder what he thinks?
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

No Comment!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              I didn't see the Huron game, but I'd hesitate to judge any coach based on a game or two. I'd say Bob Wilber's a proven coach. He played at Augie in college and was a college head coach (Mount Marty) before taking over at Roosevelt.
                              I'm hardly judging that opinion on a game or two. If you think those qualifications mean your a proven coach I guess we can disagree on that too. I would think you have to admit with the talent Roosevelt has on the current team and the level of talent like Krabenhoft and Cordova who have gone through that program they have vastly underachieved.

Comment

I'm hardly judging that opinion on a game or two. If you think those qualifications mean your a proven coach I guess we can disagree on that too. I would think you have to admit with the talent Roosevelt has on the current team and the level of talent like Krabenhoft and Cordova who have gone through that program they have vastly underachieved.
                                I thought basketball was a team sport? Are you telling me that who ever has the best player in the state should win the boy's BB tourney? In AA this year Iverson was the best player, or at least is going to play at a Big 10 school next year. Are you implying that Yankton's coach is no good either since they did not win the State Title while they had the best big man the past two years?

Cody Larson is not the best player in the state this year. He may have the highest potential, but is still a Sophomore. Why do you expect them to win the state tourney when there best talent is Sophomore's?

What is up with the other Sioux Falls coaches anyway? Why isn't O'Gorman, Lincoln and Washington producing talent like Krabenhoft, Cordova, Larson, Aluong? All of the Sioux Falls schools have the same abilities to produce D-1 talent and yet only Roosevelt can?

One player does not make a team. I don't think you can judge a coach on how good he is based upon one or two players on his team. It is a team sport. I will take 5 very good players over 1 great player and 4 stiffs any day.

Go State!!!
                                Go Jacks!!!
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                                X