Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    For starter's Cody Larson according to a google is 6"7" a sophomore in high school and probably still growing. He is also getting attention from Minnesota, Iowa and Florida so I think he will probably go the way of Colton Iverson, and unless someone can tell me different I dont think he will be considering SDSU or USD, not with the attention he is now getting. Do you suppose Cody Larson knows who Mike Miller is and what he has today in terms of material things? I would be surprised if he did not know about those things such as a career in the NBA.

I am glad we have Kai and I would not trade his proven spirit and athleticism for any recruit that is still in high school. I think Kai is one of the better players that SDSU has had in some time. He will have a good career at SDSU and to start comparing him to hs recuit in high school makes no sense whatsoever.
    I don't see anything wrong with wanting to know how this kid stacks up compared to Kai. Kai is a darn good ball player. As good as anyone who has played at SDSU. Cody Larson is a darn good HS sophomore. It's not a knock on Kai.

Oh, I bet Kai could take him. Those Canadians are tough. George Bell played his best years in Canada. 1987 AL MVP, 47 home runs, 134 RBI's, .308 Batting average. Those were the days.

Comment

Kai's recruitment may have been different had he played his entire career in the states as opposed to Saskatchewan. Also, the most heavily recruited areas of Canada are British Columbia and Ontario. That was also a benefit for SDSU.

Comment

YES didn't you know the praries are really looked over as far as bball goes we have some outstanding young basketball players here but no exposure at all for the most part.

But ofcourse Hockey well that's a different story

Comment

Originally posted by carny View Post
          I wanted someone to respond that knows something.
          Play nice, Carny. You asked for an opinion and you received one.

Comment

I sure hope Marcus Hemestra comes here. I've heard a lot of good stuff about him and I know Nagy and staff was really impressed by him as just a Freshman starting on varsity on the Rock Valley team. They thought he wasn't quite done growing and that he had good ball handling skills. I would love to go watch Rock Valley play sometime this winter.

Comment

From the little I have seen of Cody Larson.... him and Kai are different type of players...... They are both Small Forwards but they aren't the same..... Now SDSU recruit Chad White reminds me ALOT of Kai.... I think Cody Larson will be a 6-9+ guy that can hit that 10 foot jumper I think he will develop into more of a 4 but that is just what I think......

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Play nice, Carny. You asked for an opinion and you received one.
                Thanks Jack JD. Until I googled Cory Larson I knew little about him, but based on the scouting reports that came up, its looks like a Colton Iverson career on the horizon. If SDSU can get the inside track more power to us, but with all this national attention at this early start of his high school career, it does not look easy for SDSU or USD to get this young man near a letter of intent. I agree with Joe, the Kai and this young man could end up playing different positions. Who knows? I am not going to lose any sleep over this thread.

People have a right to their opinions and so do I.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  From the little I have seen of Cody Larson.... him and Kai are different type of players...... They are both Small Forwards but they aren't the same..... Now SDSU recruit Chad White reminds me ALOT of Kai.... I think Cody Larson will be a 6-9+ guy that can hit that 10 foot jumper I think he will develop into more of a 4 but that is just what I think......
                  I too think Larsen has not stopped growing, The kid is only 15 so he probably still growing and the larger he gets the more likely he will be a four. I dont think you can begin to compare a 15 year old kid with some one who is 5 years older at least. Larson still has camps and AAU tourneys ahead of him which will also give him more exposure. I feel this whole conversation is a trap and attempt to write Kai Williams down in terms of talent and I refuse to do that.

Comment

I just think that they are two totally different situations even if you compare them athletically which I don't think you can do either... You have Kai from what I could judge from his high light film went to a smaller high school and looks like he played against shallow tallent... He played the post because he was 6-6 and probably (and you can help me out on this Mrs. Williams) didn't get to see much time at the 3 in high school I'm sure in AAU and camps he played the 3 but he didn't have that option in high school (you see this a lot in smaller schools in South Dakota) Cody Larson is 6-7 but has the opportunity to play the 3 in high school and summer ball..... If I had to make a statement and this is a guess Kai is a better athlete and has more potential compared to Larson who is a better player... Thats my guess.....

Comment

I'm going to tell you all again who the best 2010 recruit is... its Derek Brown. Its in his blood, he has a poor team from Clark undefeated and he's averaging 24 points and about 6-7 boards a game. I know he is on the small side 5'11- 6'0 but he will grow. The kid can score from anywhere at anytime and he's not afraid to get his teammates involved. Not to mention he carried the football team this year as well... on a team that wasn't supposed to make the playoffs
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        I'm going to tell you all again who the best 2010 recruit is... its Derek Brown. Its in his blood, he has a poor team from Clark undefeated and he's averaging 24 points and about 6-7 boards a game. I know he is on the small side 5'11- 6'0 but he will grow. The kid can score from anywhere at anytime and he's not afraid to get his teammates involved. Not to mention he carried the football team this year as well... on a team that wasn't supposed to make the playoffs
                        Derek Brown is a solid HS athlete and HS basketball player yes, but the best 2010 recruit in SD....may be a stretch. He is and will continue to get strong consideration from SDSU and will continue to be on their radar through the next three years.

Position numbers in today's game is basically the starting point of the transition break or the starting point of the secondary offense in the half court. When you break it down the difference between a 2 guard and a 3 man is the side of the court (2 typically right side & 3 on the left). Traditionally 2-guards are known for shooting ability where as the 3-man is a longer, leaner more athletic type). The 4 man typically inbounds the ball after makes and staggers down the floor helping to relive pressure caused by presses and has the ability to shoot from 3-land. The 5 ideally is the post player. I point this out because the 2, 3 & 4 men all need to be able to launch with consistency from 3-pt land. Once the initial pass is made the 1,2,3 & 4 men are virtually interchangeable. While you won't typically see a 1 or 2 man post up you can see them floating the perimeter with the others.

I bring this all up as a discussion for the Kai Williams - Cody Larson comparison. It's silly to state that a HS Soph is better than a starting DI College Soph. Both are athletic skilled wings (I prefer the term wing rather than a number). Both will continue to improve with experience. I told Kai after the UNI game that he had/has the skills to be a high major athlete but needs to bring it all the time each time he steps on the floor. Not that my words made any difference but he's done a tremendous job putting the team on his back and has been consistent all year.

Cody Larson is three years away from stepping on a college floor. Unlike Kai he'll have a ton of exposure to High Major schools and that will help him land a scholarship at that level some day. Kai could possibly have had the same or similar opportunities if he had the same opportunities and skill set as an 8th grader on up. I do not know and don't want to speculate because I did not know him as an 8th grader. I do respect what he does today for SDSU and think that he's a steal for their level and a tremendous athlete/basketball player. I can only hope that Cody Larson turns out as good some day down the road...time will tell.

Comment

Again from what I understand we were very lucky to get Kai for a obvious reasons and the fact he was indeed recruited by "higher" div I teams. He chose us because we were a developing team and close to home. He could easily have ended up at an A10 of CUSA team from what I read.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                            ...[referring to Kai:] he's a steal for their level and a tremendous athlete/basketball player.
                            Cadsev speaks from a position of knowing facts as well as having an experienced eye for spotting talent. Kai Williams is the real deal...when he's done he'll be in the books as one of the best ever (maybe THE best ever) to play in a Jackrabbit uniform.

I hope we can land Cody Larson too.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I just think that they are two totally different situations even if you compare them athletically which I don't think you can do either... You have Kai from what I could judge from his high light film went to a smaller high school and looks like he played against shallow tallent... He played the post because he was 6-6 and probably (and you can help me out on this Mrs. Williams) didn't get to see much time at the 3 in high school I'm sure in AAU and camps he played the 3 but he didn't have that option in high school (you see this a lot in smaller schools in South Dakota) Cody Larson is 6-7 but has the opportunity to play the 3 in high school and summer ball..... If I had to make a statement and this is a guess Kai is a better athlete and has more potential compared to Larson who is a better player... Thats my guess.....

Kai never played the 4 or 5 in High School he was the 3 and saw all the time on the floor at that posistion, his High School had 1200 students. Most High Schools in Regina have about 750 to 1200
                              students.
                              The population of Regina is about 200,000.
                              We have 2,200 kids playing community basketball.
                              Kai was the only kid ever in Sask to be put on the Canada Basketball Depth Chart in Grade 7.
                              Canada Basketball have been watching his growth since then.
                              I hope these young high school guys you are all talking about do well wherever they go..

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
                                Kai never played the 4 or 5 in High School he was the 3 and saw all the time on the floor at that posistion, his High School had 1200 students. Most High Schools in Regina have about 750 to 1200
                                students.
                                The population of Regina is about 200,000.
                                We have 2,200 kids playing community basketball.
                                Kai was the only kid ever in Sask to be put on the Canada Basketball Depth Chart in Grade 7.
                                Canada Basketball have been watching his growth since then.
                                I hope these young high school guys you are all talking about do well wherever they go..
                                Basketball must not be that big in Canada then or Sask atleast... because of the gyms he was playing in looked like what the small towns in South Dakota have for gyms....

My geography teacher told us to go to Regina when we go to Canada because its the place or something like that... And my supertendent (who is from Canada) from high school gave me all of us $2 canadian coins that say D G Regina I don't know if that has anything to do with Regina or not....

Comment

Working...
                                X