2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Heemstra AND Dykstra as Jacks? That's huge news (almost). Wow. That's a great recruiting class right there. Throw in Horstman and it's a double or triple wow. The perserverance of Jacks' fans is paying off. Well done. (I hope.)
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      My source on the team says Dykstra will be a Jack. All that is left is the signature. He loves it up here, is excited about joining a team with a rock solid point gaurd, is excited about all the rest of the young talent, and his best friend is coming here. My source was very excited when talking about Dykstra and I would be SHOCKED if he ended up else where.

I've heard the same thing from people in the know. I've heard Dykstra has already been on campus three times. I've often heard coach's say, a huge part of landing a recruit is getting the recruit to visit. Excellent things are happening in Jackrabbit land.

GBGBGJ

Comment

This is all great news. I just hope it doesn't end up being a high water mark for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          This is all great news. I just hope it doesn't end up being a high water mark for the program.
          Kid isn't even going to play for another year and you are already worried it's the high water mark for the program? Come on Debbie Downer, where's the love?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            Respectfully disagree.
            Reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
              Reason?
              His abilities don't match up with his size. He is not a good enough shot in my opinion to be a 1 or a 2 at the Division 1 level, and 6'4"ish is not really the ideal size for a 3 and he doesn't appear to have the speed to make up for this height deficiency. When I saw him play it looked like he had a good inside to mid range game, but I just don't see him getting shot off consistently at the D1 level. Couple all this with that whispers of him having an attitude problem (I don't know this for sure, I have just heard it on this board on multiple occasions) and I just think there are better fits the coaches can pursue to fill out the scholarships (that's if we have any still available after Dykstra commits).

Nothing against the kid personally, just don't feel that he would be a quality basketball player at this particular level.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Reason?
                I think the coaches should decide who we recruit. Maybe I'm old fashioned though. Perhaps Nagy and AJ watch all these fan forums carefully hoping to pick up some tips on kids they should have their eyes on. If that is the case I've got a 7 yo girls who is a head taller than everyone else in her class and she can make 10 lay-ups in a row with her right hand. She does have a bit of an attitude problem though, she talks back a lot just like her dad.

If the coaches think Newton is worth pursuing they will pursue him regardless of the opinions expressed on this board. I know, its a forum and discussion is open but let's all realize its just that, discussion. As for talking about Newton, I don't think its been productive discussion.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Whats productive? It is producing discussion, which is what I thought we did here, I guess not so I will discontinue ever talking about him.

Comment

Whats productive? It is producing discussion, which is what I thought we did here, I guess not so I will discontinue ever talking about him.
                    Not what I suggested. I just think some of the negative comments about him might or might not be well founded and I don't like to see his attitude questions by those who don't really know him. I appreciated that you think he has a great deal of talent and I think commenting on that is a good thing.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I know him personally, he is a good friend of mine and I just think SDSU would be a great place for him to go. And, although I am slightly biased, he has no attitude issues that I see, the kid just cares a great deal about his games and it shows in his passion on the court, which some seem to percieve as an attitude.

Comment

I know him personally, he is a good friend of mine and I just think SDSU would be a great place for him to go. And, although I am slightly biased, he has no attitude issues that I see, the kid just cares a great deal about his games and it shows in his passion on the court, which some seem to percieve as an attitude.
                        Exactly, and that leads to a discussion that I don't think is pertinent to a topic about SDSU's 2010 recruits.

As I said before, I think Dykstra has as much talent as Matt Jones did and I think he can make a big impact at the higher level. I am very excited to see what the team this year can accomplish and what the future holds.

Comment

I do want to reiterate that I personally have no clue on whether or not there are attitude issues with Newton or not, and only stated that it has been brought up in the past. My prognosis of whether or not he is a Division 1 talent was based on his skill set and abilities, though I did bring up the attitude question merely because, if true (which once again, I have no clue on this matter), it could effect his recruiting and his ability to play at the highest level of college basketball.

I do think he has the talent to be very successful at the DII level, just not DI. With that said, I have been wrong many times in my life and will be wrong many more times, and I would be happy to be wrong in this case, as I love to see South Dakotans be successful.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            I do want to reiterate that I personally have no clue on whether or not there are attitude issues with Newton or not, and only stated that it has been brought up in the past. My prognosis of whether or not he is a Division 1 talent was based on his skill set and abilities, though I did bring up the attitude question merely because, if true (which once again, I have no clue on this matter), it could effect his recruiting and his ability to play at the highest level of college basketball.

I do think he has the talent to be very successful at the DII level, just not DI. With that said, I have been wrong many times in my life and will be wrong many more times, and I would be happy to be wrong in this case, as I love to see South Dakotans be successful.
                            Good points. Until reading this thread I honestly had never heard of this individual. So its difficult to comment. I do wish Mr. Newton the best in what ever choice he makes.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 10-02-2009, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Good points. Until reading this thread I honestly had never heard of this individual. So its difficult to comment. I do wish Mr. Newton the best in what ever choice he makes.
                              Who is Newton? I tried to go back on this thread but could not find anything that says his full name or where he's from?
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                Who is Newton? I tried to go back on this thread but could not find anything that says his full name or where he's from?
                                I think he invented gravity. His full name is Isaac Newton, and he is from Woolsthorpe-by-Colsterworth.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X