Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by Patkran View Post
    Made contact or made an offer? If Wake Forest offered, game over on this one, I would think. I can see them making contact and looking for more information on Dykstra. Many schools did not really evaluate him based on the idea that an Iowa kid would honor a commit to a Big 12 Iowa school and vice versa. An offer from Wake Forest would be very tough to turn down.
    I was told a scholarship offer has been made.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
      I was told a scholarship offer has been made.
      Wake Forest lost a "big" they felt was wrapped up to Xavier and it is hard to find size, so anything is possible. It would be hard to turn down the ACC and Wake Forest. The Jacks have some options for 2010 if he goes somewhere else, that is a great example of why you keep recruiting and why, even when you offer scholarships, those offers cannot last forever. Eventually, someone has to make move on or verbal and then sign an LOI.

Comment

If he changed his mind about going to a Big 12 school why would Wake Forest be an automatic go? I wouldn't give up on him, by any means.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          If he changed his mind about going to a Big 12 school why would Wake Forest be an automatic go? I wouldn't give up on him, by any means.
          Completely agree here. One of the reasons for him backing away from his commitment to IA St. was that at that level, the basketball commitment might have forced him away from other interests as he went through his senior year. I can't imagine a verbal to Wake Forest and the ACC would be any different come October/November if he decides then.

Folks that I've talked to close to the program still feel very comfortable with where we are at in his recruitment. Being close to home, having his teammate and good friend already committed, and being in early all has to be a positive for us. I hope we land him, it would be a good get for us for sure.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Right on. In a broader context, time to get over this idea that other places are inherently better... SDSU is a special place, too! Playing D-1 close to home in front of friends and family has its allure, too.

Comment

That's exactly what I thought when I read this.

At least Iowa State was close to home and his chance to play there, even right away, was decent.

WF is much more "bigtime" than ISU and you would think his chance to play there would be slim. He seems like a kid who probably wants to play in college.

Yes, playing in the ACC and at a program like WF would be special....but so would playing in the Big XII in front of your home state people at a pretty respectable basketball school like ISU.

Comment

Too many kids get blinded by the lights of "bigtime" programs. The reality is only so many can get PT and the rest sit or get recruited over, especially big guys. I HOPE he comes here. We have a great school, tradition and fans.

Comment

This is wierd an offer from Wake Forest. I hope Mr. Dykstra does not get side tracked. I envy any one in this day and age who had more than offer for a free education. Just ask anyone who is paying off student loans and who has no athletic skills.

If he gave up ISU because of the bright lights and demands, why would he now say yes to Wake Forest? It just does not fit the profile of Northwestern Iowa thinking. But who knows what going on here. I sure dont.

Comment

1) Dykstra's teammate and, by all accounts, good friend is coming to SDSU;
                    2) It may be that Wake doesn't have the academic program he's interested in;
                    3) SDSU is within driving distance for his parents.
                    4) An offer isn't the same as him signing a letter of intent.
                    5) He WILL be a big dog in the Summit--he might be just another center/forward in the ACC, we don't know, do we?
                    6) Girlfriend?

I'm kind of pumped that we're in a recruiting war for a big with Wake Forest. That's pretty cool.

What will be will be.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Is SDSU recruiting Newton of Huron? If not they should be, the kids going to be really good wherever he goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                        Is SDSU recruiting Newton of Huron? If not they should be, the kids going to be really good wherever he goes.
                        I don't believe so as no scholarships. I believe USD has interest. I'm not sure what position he would play at the DI level?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          I don't believe so as no scholarships. I believe USD has interest. I'm not sure what position he would play at the DI level?
                          Ah, I thought I had read somewhere on these boards that SDSU had a scholarship available because of something ( can't remeber what it was ).

But anyways, I think Newton could play any where from the 1 - 3 spots, he may be a tad short for a 4, but in, say, a 4 out 1 in offense he could maybe play the 4.

There's my two cents.

Comment

I hope we pass on Newton. I think FWIW that he is a loose cannon.

Comment

FWIW? We need some kind of a lexicon for all these acroynms. Since I do not follow high school bb that closely in SD, I confess Mr. Newton is a stranger. One of these year I need to start following my alma mater Brookings High in order to at least be familiar with the ESD stars.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                                I hope we pass on Newton. I think FWIW that he is a loose cannon.
                                ^^ What he said. He has a fairly pi$$ poor attitude. Why add another, IMHO mediocre, guard to a stable of very solid guards. Go after the bigs with any open scholarship.

Comment

Working...
                                X