2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Billy Hoyle are you really the guy from "White Men Can't Jump'. That was a great movie and cant even recall the Cheers guy that played Billy. Billy in that movie had a compulsion for gambling. Why do you have such a compulison for finding about Guis or whatever his name is. Its over the kid is going to USD. Does not matter what Nagy and staff did or did not do in recruiting. I dont want to know SO LET IT GO.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Billy Hoyle are you really the guy from "White Men Can't Jump'. That was a great movie and cant even recall the Cheers guy that played Billy. Billy in that movie had a compulsion for gambling. Why do you have such a compulison for finding about Guis or whatever his name is. Its over the kid is going to USD. Does not matter what Nagy and staff did or did not do in recruiting. I dont want to know SO LET IT GO.
      Woody Harrelson

Comment

Let's not get personal, please.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

PatKran knows his stuff so I don't doubt anything he said...

This is what I was told from someone who knows his stuff. Gruis' best offer was USD... Northern Iowa never offered, SDSU pulled, nobody else really stepped in hard.

Now I also heard that when coaches would talk to people in the community and the school that they weren't getting the best vibe about Gruis, that he didn't work hard in the classroom and that he only cared about basketbal.... now that was more of a rumor but from what I've heard I kinda believe it....

I talked to a guy from Rock Valley today, and I've talked to others in the area and they said Dykstra wants to wait until after football to commit... he thinks he might have a shot of playing college football (the people I have talked to said he doesn't) but it sounds like SDSU is the front runner....

Comment

Trevor Gruis is a good kid and a hard worker. I got to watch him play a lot this summer and he is going to have a nice career at USD as he fills out and gets stronger. Too much has been made about the SDSU part of this story. I didn't like it when I read it in the Argus and I still have a tough time with the idea that the story is about where he is not going instead of where he is going. USD is a better fit for his skill set than SDSU is and I think Coach Nagy and Coach Boots both made good decisions for their program. Coach Nagy is a class act and he lets kids know where they sit and he is upfront about what his needs are, sometimes that means letting a kid know they are not interested. Here is the analogy I give my kids - would you rather have a girl break up with you by telling you or by just not calling anymore and letting you wonder what is happening? Coach Nagy is a stand up guy.

Dykstra will have some DI offers to choose from and SDSU will be at the top of the list if they wish to wait. The coaching staff at SDSU is not going to be outworked and they have a great idea of how they want this to work out. Patience got them Nate Wolters later in the recruiting process to go along with some really good early recruits. They will keep working on 2010, 2011, and 2012 kids and that will translate to a better and deeper team.

Comment

Originally posted by Patkran View Post
              Trevor Gruis is a good kid and a hard worker. I got to watch him play a lot this summer and he is going to have a nice career at USD as he fills out and gets stronger. Too much has been made about the SDSU part of this story. I didn't like it when I read it in the Argus and I still have a tough time with the idea that the story is about where he is not going instead of where he is going. USD is a better fit for his skill set than SDSU is and I think Coach Nagy and Coach Boots both made good decisions for their program. Coach Nagy is a class act and he lets kids know where they sit and he is upfront about what his needs are, sometimes that means letting a kid know they are not interested. Here is the analogy I give my kids - would you rather have a girl break up with you by telling you or by just not calling anymore and letting you wonder what is happening? Coach Nagy is a stand up guy.

Dykstra will have some DI offers to choose from and SDSU will be at the top of the list if they wish to wait. The coaching staff at SDSU is not going to be outworked and they have a great idea of how they want this to work out. Patience got them Nate Wolters later in the recruiting process to go along with some really good early recruits. They will keep working on 2010, 2011, and 2012 kids and that will translate to a better and deeper team.

Good post, good insight. The team shapes up already better and deeper than any in a few years, agreed?

Comment

I think this current version (SDSU) has more talent, athleticism and depth than we've seen since.....??? It's easily the best product we've put on the floor in the D1 days....and we'll add Heemstra and ??? next year and Horstman and ????????? the next year and it appears the ball is rolling.

And as far as Heemstra goes...I have alot of friends and family over in the NW Iowa area and they say this Marcus Heemstra is just a great young man.

Comment

Talent-wise, this may be the best team that SDSU has ever fielded. Hopefully it translates to some quality wins.

Justin Sell made an interesting remark the other day on the radio. He said that one of his challenges is to change the institutional mindset from 'if we make the playoffs' to 'when we make the playoffs'--he noted that WBB has really helped that attitude take root.

Comment

Joeboo do you ever talk to the individual in question other than their mailman, someone from their school, town or girlfriend or boyfriend. Seriously, it's old news, has no merit being discussed on this site any longer and all can speculate all day long as to what happened but it will all be hearsay. Why don't you talk to one of your college professors about hearsay.

Billy H and Joeboo have all the insights as to what is happening with SDSU recruiting, well they do if you want to believe all that you read from them. What SDSU does in recruiting is no different than what any other school does...offers are extended...the athlete has a decision to make, if they decide they want to wait on the offer, the school keeps recruiting and needs change with commitments. It had nothing to do with grades, attitude, work ethic etc.

The problem with message boards is that it allows individuals to speculate and write what they feel is important when most times it has no merit and offers no consequences to the individual clicking the keyboard. Trevor Gruis is comfortable with his decision to attend USD.

Next topic!

Comment

I think unless we are talking to the person in question himself it is all hearsay and we should always understand that.

I guess I've always had a problem w/ people telling other people what they can or can't, should or shouldn't be discussing on a public discussion board designed for people to express their opinions. If people want to speculate about whoever or whatever, so be it (as long as they're doing it in a respectful manner). Any rational person will understand that pretty much any comment made on an internet message board is to be taken w/ a grain of salt.

I'm not going to question the opinions of joeboo or Hoyle or their "sources"....but I'm not going to take it as gospel either.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                        I think unless we are talking to the person in question himself it is all hearsay and we should always understand that.

I guess I've always had a problem w/ people telling other people what they can or can't, should or shouldn't be discussing on a public discussion board designed for people to express their opinions. If people want to speculate about whoever or whatever, so be it (as long as they're doing it in a respectful manner). Any rational person will understand that pretty much any comment made on an internet message board is to be taken w/ a grain of salt.

I'm not going to question the opinions of joeboo or Hoyle or their "sources"....but I'm not going to take it as gospel either.
                        *Wearing Moderator Hat* This is sage advice. Let's avoid calling out POSTERS on well meaning, if maybe not perfect, opinions or comments. Remember Thumper's advise, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all."

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Let's not get personal, please.
                          Sorry if I took a swing at Billy Hoyle. Its just that I thought he was looking for smoke and further evidence of fire in the recruiting decisions made by the SDSU staff in attempting to recruit Guis who is now USD commited at least orally. In other words he seem to be trying to beat a dead horse. Was not intended to be personal, in fact, I was very slow in trying to connect the name to the movie etc. Its actually a darn good handle. I might use it somewhere else.

Comment

To Sydney Dean..."My mother was too drunk to be an astronaut"

Comment

Heard from a reliable source, Wake Forest made an offer to Dykstra.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                                Heard from a reliable source, Wake Forest made an offer to Dykstra.
                                Made contact or made an offer? If Wake Forest offered, game over on this one, I would think. I can see them making contact and looking for more information on Dykstra. Many schools did not really evaluate him based on the idea that an Iowa kid would honor a commit to a Big 12 Iowa school and vice versa. An offer from Wake Forest would be very tough to turn down.

Comment

Working...
                                X