2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

SDSU in a few years could/should be long and athletic....

Outside:
    Carlson 6'4
    Callahan 6'4
    Horstman 6'4
    White 6'7
    Rader 6'7
    Heemstra 6'8

Inside:
    Casaday 6'6
    Fiegen 6'8
    Pederson 6'8
    Gruis 6'9

This COULD be our starting five:
    White 6'7
    Rader 6'7
    Heemstra 6'8
    Fiegen 6'8
    Gruis 6'9
    Reminds me of the USF team a few years ago. That said, if these guys develop we could create some nice matchup problems!

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      SDSU in a few years could/should be long and athletic....

Outside:
      Carlson 6'4
      Callahan 6'4
      Horstman 6'4
      White 6'7
      Rader 6'7
      Heemstra 6'8

Inside:
      Casaday 6'6
      Fiegen 6'8
      Pederson 6'8
      Gruis 6'9

This COULD be our starting five:
      White 6'7
      Rader 6'7
      Heemstra 6'8
      Fiegen 6'8
      Gruis 6'9
      Reminds me of the USF team a few years ago. That said, if these guys develop we could create some nice matchup problems!

USF? as in the University of Sioux Falls. No disrespect to USF, but if SDSU is being compared to USF we are in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
        If your team is shaping up with long 6'7" - 6'9" skilled players a 6'9" athletic, lanky big fits the bill more than a grinding plowboy big. That's why Gruis is on the radar so strong for SDSU plus he's local, he's easier to recruit and chances of landing him over a 6'10"+ kid are more realstic. Almost every school needs bigs and they are premium players regardless of talent. Probably the position where "projects" get scholarships over current talent.

Tony Fiegen is a 4-man.....was recruited as a 4 and will play the 4 for SDSU. He's not considered a slasher or a 3-man in any means.

Chad White will get some looks at PG and therefore the focus on the final 2010 offer is a Big Center/Post what have you type player. The "Old-School" post player is a thing of the past for most schools heck even the NBA.....athleticism over size most days.
        I agree with everything you just said, but hope the emphasis on local kids is because they can play and contribute at this level and not because they are easier to recruit. I think Gruis skill set would compliment the team Nagy is assembling very well.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I agree with everything you just said, but hope the emphasis on local kids is because they can play and contribute at this level and not because they are easier to recruit. I think Gruis skill set would compliment the team Nagy is assembling very well.
          I think Gruis is the guy we are most likely to get. He'll be a great addition if he can continue to develop and maybe even grow a bit.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Class of 2010 Recruit Rock Valley's 6'9 forward Marcus Heemstra has an offer from the Jacks and his teammate Jordan Dykstra also 6'9 has committed to Iowa State. They are both playing for Martin Brothers this summer. There must be something in the water in Rock Valley.
            Anyone hearing anything about Jordan Dykstra? I understand Iowa State may be trying to "back out". Do you suppose we would be able to make room for Marcus' teammate? The info about Iowa State trying to "back out" is from a good source. The possibility of him landing at SDSU is a bit of speculation. I hope that is deemed to be okay.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

USF? as in the University of Sioux Falls. No disrespect to USF, but if SDSU is being compared to USF we are in trouble.
              Well USF was #1 in the NAIA for most of that year.

Their whole starting lineup was 6'6+ (Millsap, VanLeur, Kvaale, Kyle Johnson, I forget the last starter.... and my buddy Jeremy Van Roekel quit that year as he's a 6'6 guy that would have started as well). So, I was comparing the two schools in size only.

Comment

I agree with everything you just said, but hope the emphasis on local kids is because they can play and contribute at this level and not because they are easier to recruit.
                Every program has to start local, eapecially the low and mid major teams w/ limited budgets. Go check out rosters for those schools, they are usually made up primarily of local kids. Unless you have a coach that has relationships in a certain area, it's near impossible for low major teams to bring in a ton of kids from outside their area.

And let's face it, it would be very, very hard for SDSU to go outside of our territory and bring kids that know nothing about our region and nothing about SDSU, to Brookings, SD.

Comment

I love kids from this area. I think they tend to be good kids, hard workers, coachable w/ midwestern values. I remember Roy Williams saying how he loved the kids who started playing late. He said they weren't as hard to coach and didn't think they were superstars b/c they weren't told since the 6th grade how great they were and how they were going to be in the NBA. Nothing would make me happier than for SDSU to build a respectable program from local kids. I'd even sacrifice a few wins a year to be able to have local kids, kids that I can go watch in HS knowing they are future Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Anyone hearing anything about Jordan Dykstra? I understand Iowa State may be trying to "back out". Do you suppose we would be able to make room for Marcus' teammate? The info about Iowa State trying to "back out" is from a good source. The possibility of him landing at SDSU is a bit of speculation. I hope that is deemed to be okay.
                    If for some reason ISU did back out on Dykstra and we managed to get him in Brookings, that would be the highest profile recruit the Jacks have ever landed (3 star recruit)... that being said, even if Iowa State decommits to Dykstra, with him still having a summer left of AAU ball and being as renown as he is, some other major DIs would come knocking on his door. I would say it is a long shot to see him in a Jacks uniform even if ISU/Dykstra relinquishes their commitment, but I woudn't say it is impossible. Dykstra lived in Sioux Falls before he moved to Rock Valley several years ago and now we have his teammate committed to our program; plus SDSU is the closest DI university with post season eligibility to Rock Valley, so we can always hope... just don't hold your breathe.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                      If for some reason ISU did back out on Dykstra and we managed to get him in Brookings, that would be the highest profile recruit the Jacks have ever landed (3 star recruit)... that being said, even if Iowa State decommits to Dykstra, with him still having a summer left of AAU ball and being as renown as he is, some other major DIs would come knocking on his door. I would say it is a long shot to see him in a Jacks uniform even if ISU/Dykstra relinquishes their commitment, but I woudn't say it is impossible. Dykstra lived in Sioux Falls before he moved to Rock Valley several years ago and now we have his teammate committed to our program; plus SDSU is the closest DI university with post season eligibility to Rock Valley, so we can always hope... just don't hold your breathe.
                      I said the same thing to the person who told me about the developments with ISU and he felt like SDSU had a better than fair chance of landing Jordan. Again, its just speculation and I'm not suggesting that anyone hold their breathe.

I must admit, after hearing Nagy talk about the program tonight its clear that he sees a level of excitement from our current players, those who have signed, those who have verballed and those who we have offered that he has never seen before. Nagy is building something. Our players are going to be as confident as ever and the interest in SDSU is growing amongst recruits.

Comment

I said the same thing to the person who told me about the developments with ISU and he felt like SDSU had a better than fair chance of landing Jordan. Again, its just speculation and I'm not suggesting that anyone hold their breathe.

I must admit, after hearing Nagy talk about the program tonight its clear that he sees a level of excitement from our current players, those who have signed, those who have verballed and those who we have offered that he has never seen before. Nagy is building something. Our players are going to be as confident as ever and the interest in SDSU is growing amongst recruits.

Interesting, anything you can expand on, JMD?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Interesting, anything you can expand on, JMD?
                          He didn't give specifics about future recruits other than to say he expects a verbal this week, that a scholarship being used by a current player will come available and will help with recruiting. He expects Kai to make a big impact this year. He is counting on the Sophs from this year to be studs the next 2 years. He just said the he sees and hears more excitement from players about what they think the program can grow into if they work for it. He wants to see the team improve defensively and to get deeper. I can't really expand on anything else he spoke about/told me.

Comment

He didn't give specifics about future recruits other than to say he expects a verbal this week, that a scholarship being used by a current player will come available and will help with recruiting. He expects Kai to make a big impact this year. He is counting on the Sophs from this year to be studs the next 2 years. He just said the he sees and hears more excitement from players about what they think the program can grow into if they work for it. He wants to see the team improve defensively and to get deeper. I can't really expand on anything else he spoke about/told me.
                            Gruiss-A 6'9" C from Ellsworth, great hands, will need to muscle up a bit to become a D-I post player.

Bjourkland- 6'7" PF from Sibley East MN, a little undersized but plays hard and is a strong kid

Calcaterra- 6'10" C from Cloquet MN The biggest upside but has had stress fracture problems with his foot, In Jan. of 08 he claimed to have offers from Minnesota, Iowa, SDSU, NDSU, and UNI... (However I have heard he is the classic hype himself up as a recruit but have no knowledge on whether that is true or not)

Or are we going to get some news that Jordan Dykstra decided to follow teammate Marcus Heemstra?

Or is it going to come from off the map....

Comment

.....that a scholarship being used by a current player will come available and will help with recruiting.
                              I guess the above sentence pretty much seals it, Anthony Davis won't be suiting up. Too bad for him...and us.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                Gruiss-A 6'9" C from Ellsworth, great hands, will need to muscle up a bit to become a D-I post player.

Bjourkland- 6'7" PF from Sibley East MN, a little undersized but plays hard and is a strong kid

Calcaterra- 6'10" C from Cloquet MN The biggest upside but has had stress fracture problems with his foot, In Jan. of 08 he claimed to have offers from Minnesota, Iowa, SDSU, NDSU, and UNI... (However I have heard he is the classic hype himself up as a recruit but have no knowledge on whether that is true or not)

Or are we going to get some news that Jordan Dykstra decided to follow teammate Marcus Heemstra?

Or is it going to come from off the map....
                                The suspense is killing me!
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X