Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Just so everyone can easily see, here is definition:

13.02.13 Representative of Athletics Interests.

A "representative of the institution's athletics interests" is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00)

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;

(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;

(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or

(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.

Associated Enforcement Cases
    Major Cases: 17
    Associated Proposals
    Proposals: 0

I would say while it doesn't automatically include "joe student," it doesn't exclude them either. However, subpart (b) would apply to many on this board. As for the rationally expending time, effort, & expense to try and monitor this, those are criteria that the NCAA seems to apply in an "inconsistent" manner.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Hoyle View Post
      Hopefully the Jackrabbits get Dykstra as plan B, C, D, etc. left Brookings upset and/or feeling duped. Gruis leaves getting his offer yanked to make room for Dykstra and others wonder why they weren't informed no 2010 scholarships were available before they paid for camp? Call it a lesson learned in the recruiting game for these kids.
      Interesting info, I was wondering how that was going to play out and why these recruits were coming since we didn't have a scholly. I thought maybe they were Juniors.

As far as pulling the offer from Gruis, I would assume that's a good sign for SDSU fans because I don't think Nagy would have pulled the offer unless he was certain Dykstra was going to commit.

Comment

And: summer camps are NOT tryouts. If someone is representing to high school athletes that they are, then they're mistaken (and, if associated with the university, committing yet another NCAA recruiting violation).
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          And: summer camps are NOT tryouts. If someone is representing to high school athletes that they are, then they're mistaken (and, if associated with the university, committing yet another NCAA recruiting violation).
          True...getting calls/letters from a school and then being invited to an elite camp shouldn't be considered a try out or violation. How it plays out in the mind of a 17 yr.old?

Parents need to ask the right questions before they commit more $ and time for these type of camps:
          1 Ask coaches about scholastics, player graduation rates, etc.
          2. How many scholarships for their class do they have available?
          3. And "please be honest coach where do you see my son on your depth chart?"

Unfortunately, this didn't play out well for SDSU in the minds of several young men. And, apparently Gruis and a couple of other guys out played Dykstra.

Comment

True...getting calls/letters from a school and then being invited to an elite camp shouldn't be considered a try out or violation. How it plays out in the mind of a 17 yr.old?

Parents need to ask the right questions before they commit more $ and time for these type of camps:

Unfortunately, this didn't play out well for SDSU in the minds of several young men. And, apparently Gruis and a couple of other guys out played Dykstra.
            This I assume is the opinion of several of our coaches and current players. That we have offered a player not nearly has good as some of the others we also had interest in. Makes perfect sense to me.

Nagy is screwing things up again. He must be the only coach who has ever had to try and figure out which guy is going to best fit his program and then how many other offers that player is entertaining. Then, he also must not be able to anticipate that a kid who signed with a Big 12 school was going to potentially fall into his lap.

Nagy just doesn't seem to know what he is doing. I think maybe Billy H. ought to be our new head coach. Who is with me?

It sure is easy to be critical when you are on the outside looking in.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              This I assume is the opinion of several of our coaches and current players. That we have offered a player not nearly has good as some of the others we also had interest in. Makes perfect sense to me.

Nagy is screwing things up again. He must be the only coach who has ever had to try and figure out which guy is going to best fit his program and then how many other offers that player is entertaining. Then, he also must not be able to anticipate that a kid who signed with a Big 12 school was going to potentially fall into his lap.

Nagy just doesn't seem to know what he is doing. I think maybe Billy H. ought to be our new head coach. Who is with me?

It sure is easy to be critical when you are on the outside looking in.
              I have no problem with the info Billy Hoyle provides. Seems he knows his stuff. I don't think he's ripping on SDSU at all.

Comment

I actually admire all ND & SD basketball. I just hope some of the other kids don't feel alienated if Dykstra doesn't take the scholarship. The long term issue is what they say to their other AAU friends and coaches regarding their SDSU experience.

Comment

I too don't have a problem with Billy Hoyle.

Stay with me.....let's say we did pull our offer to Gruis and let's say that it happened even AFTER he outplayed Dykstra (if he indeed DID outplay Dykstra). It could very well mean that the staff is confident that we can get Dykstra and they just aren't sure where we stand w/ Gruis. Let's just pretend that Gruis, right now, is a little bit better. Would you rather tell Dykstra "no thanks" just to gamble on a kid who looked better over one weekend in Gruis? Or would you rather take the kid who you know is going to committ and tell Gruis "sorry"?

As for who outplayed who. It's a camp in June and these guys both have their senior years left. I'd be lying if I said that the level of commitment Jordan seems interested in putting in doesn't concern me (is he burnt out on hoops?). But I also understand that it's that lack of commitment if you will that led to him and ISU's breakup and him, the 32nd rated PF in 2010, coming to State. Who will be better in college? Gruis, Dykstra, Calcaterra, Bell-Holter, Fiegen, Aaberg???? None of us has a clue.

Comment

For the record, since someone decided to send me a personal message all bent out of shape that I would facebook a recruit. I have mutual friends w/ that recruit. I have family and friends in Rock Valley as well as Orange City, Sioux Center, etc.

I also have relationships w/ current SDSU student athletes that I would imagine are rules violations according to some of the rediculous rules of the NCAA. I don't think the NCAA is spending too much time looking into SDSU. But that's just me

Comment

ok guys.... can we start either reporting info or stating it as your opinion..... it sounds a little of both....

so is it fact that they pulled the scholarship offer to Gruis? Is it fact that Dykstra is upset about something? is it fact that people are upset that there is no scholarships curently available? you kinda mumbo jumpboed it up.....

if they pulled the scholarship to Gruis its probably more on the fact that he didn't want to make a committement at this time and SDSU did not because of who played better then who in 1 game the summer before there senior year.....

Comment

about facebook recruiting..... I was "facebook" recruiting Reiff pretty hard and the NCAA never contacted me..... I think its more on the side of if SDSU or personal associated with SDSU made a "Jordan Dykstra should go to SDSU because" fan page or something like that which is wrong.....

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                          I too don't have a problem with Billy Hoyle.

Stay with me.....let's say we did pull our offer to Gruis and let's say that it happened even AFTER he outplayed Dykstra (if he indeed DID outplay Dykstra). It could very well mean that the staff is confident that we can get Dykstra and they just aren't sure where we stand w/ Gruis. Let's just pretend that Gruis, right now, is a little bit better. Would you rather tell Dykstra "no thanks" just to gamble on a kid who looked better over one weekend in Gruis? Or would you rather take the kid who you know is going to committ and tell Gruis "sorry"?

As for who outplayed who. It's a camp in June and these guys both have their senior years left. I'd be lying if I said that the level of commitment Jordan seems interested in putting in doesn't concern me (is he burnt out on hoops?). But I also understand that it's that lack of commitment if you will that led to him and ISU's breakup and him, the 32nd rated PF in 2010, coming to State. Who will be better in college? Gruis, Dykstra, Calcaterra, Bell-Holter, Fiegen, Aaberg???? None of us has a clue.
                          Gruis did not outplay Dykstra. Gruis threw down a nice dunk early on, but after that Dykstra got the best of him, including the scrape they got into at the end.

Comment

I just can't imagine making a living on what a seventeen year old does or does not do. Recruiting is a numbers and timing game. No matter what a coach does someone is going to be left out in the cold and many times its the coach who is left without getting their preferred recruit. Both the coaches and players have to know when it's time to pull the trigger or when to hold them or fold them. Should Gruis accepted the scholarship immediately? Nobody could have anticipated a player of Dykstra's caliber would decommit and turn to SDSU. I don't fault the coaches for pursuing all players they have interest in until someone either turns them down or makes overtures they are ready to commit. The good news is we have several good options and I'm sure SDSU Coaches will make the best decision they can for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                              I just can't imagine making a living on what a seventeen year old does or does not do. Recruiting is a numbers and timing game. No matter what a coach does someone is going to be left out in the cold and many times its the coach who is left without getting their preferred recruit. Both the coaches and players have to know when it's time to pull the trigger or when to hold them or fold them. Should Gruis accepted the scholarship immediately? Nobody could have anticipated a player of Dykstra's caliber would decommit and turn to SDSU. I don't fault the coaches for pursuing all players they have interest in until someone either turns them down or makes overtures they are ready to commit. The good news is we have several good options and I'm sure SDSU Coaches will make the best decision they can for the program.
                              Great post.

Comment

I'm not a basketball recruiting guru, but when did elite camps in the summer become recruiting showcases in kids minds instead of a place where they can work on their game and get great instruction from D1 college coaches? Seems to me that these expectations might be out of whack a little bit. They are obviously invited to the camp, but I would hope that invitation doesn't include any guarantee of a scholarship offer.

And I'll agree with some of the others about not having a problem with Billy Hoyle's (great name BTW) perspective - I think you provide great info. But I also assume, based of past posts, that Billy Hoyle does have a strong MN connection. Unless you were at the camp Billy, I assume you got your recap from somebody from MN that probably has a connection to some of these MN players and not to Dykstra. I can definately see how they would be frustrated, and I can see how that frustration could easily lead to downplaying the performances of other recruits at the camp - especially if those recruits received the offer they were looking for.

Finally, I really feel (without having any direct knowledge at all) that the only way that the staff pulls Gruis' offer is if Dykstra is a done deal. It just wouldn't make sense to do it unless it is decided. I can't think of another reason to pull that offer - versus offering both athletes and letting the first commit take the scholarship (much like the AC/Michael Twiedt situation). Unless the staff saw something else they didn't like from Gruis, I would bet that they received good news from Dykstra this week.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X