2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Have any of you actually seen Bartling play? I thought he showed great improvement last year. His footwork is MUCH better on the low block and his rebounding got better as the year went on. Big men, in general, take longer to develop their skills. Early bloomers get offered as freshmen and sophs.

Is Dykstra a better player? Of course he is! But don't trash Bartling based on some things you heard others say or because some guy on a message board thinks the kid "hates to play inside". I saw him play a lot, and I think that report is way off.

Good for Jared! I hope he continues to get better and enjoys this summer and his senior year!

Now back to the actual thread. Getting Dykstra would be huge for SDSU, just as the last 4 or 5 recruits have been. There is no question that the Jacks have turned the corner on getting talent on campus, and no longer need to take flyers on kids just because they are tall or just need the bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
      Ya, the 23 rebounds that Bartling pulled down to set the RHS single game record this past season all careemed off the rim and rolled to half court where he picked them up and got credited for a rebound. He plays with a 6'9" kid along side of him and so does Dykstra. Many consider Dykstra more of a 5 than any other position....just because a kid is on the perimeter doesn't mean they won't or can't go inside....and one needs to consider the offense implemented by the coach as well.

Dykstra would be a tremendous recruit for SDSU if they can land him....would deepen the talent pool already assembled at SDSU.
      Great point regarding both Dykstra and Bartling playing along side other 6'9 players on their respective teams which allowed them to have dual roles and not just having to be an inside player.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
        Have any of you actually seen Bartling play? I thought he showed great improvement last year. His footwork is MUCH better on the low block and his rebounding got better as the year went on. Big men, in general, take longer to develop their skills. Early bloomers get offered as freshmen and sophs.

Is Dykstra a better player? Of course he is! But don't trash Bartling based on some things you heard others say or because some guy on a message board thinks the kid "hates to play inside". I saw him play a lot, and I think that report is way off.

Good for Jared! I hope he continues to get better and enjoys this summer and his senior year!

Now back to the actual thread. Getting Dykstra would be huge for SDSU, just as the last 4 or 5 recruits have been. There is no question that the Jacks have turned the corner on getting talent on campus, and no longer need to take flyers on kids just because they are tall or just need the bodies.
        Great post. I agree on all counts!

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          I'm sure they are exactly the same. One got offered by a Big 12 school as a freshman and led his team to a state championship his junior year. The other just received his first D1 scholarship offer from a transitional D1 school and couldn't assist in even getting his team to the state tournament even though he was teamates with one of the best SD has seen.

Exactly the same player.

I hope everyone didn't take my above post as a slam on Bartling...because it wasn't meant to be. I just don't think you can group him and Dykstra as the same player talent-wise.

I hope Bartling has a fantastic career at USD. It wasn't long ago that SDSU, as a Division 1 transitional school themselves, was one of very few schools taking a flyer and putting an offer out to a Roosevelt "big". That turned out all right for us as I'm sure none of us would give up AC right now.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

You can't win with local talent...what the heck!
            We have proven we can recruit local talent who have potential DI caliber skills, however we have not proven we can win with it. I hope we can as you have stated before "its a lot easier to recruit local players". While more local players create more interest and a broader following I still think it will be a balance as we may not always consistently have the current deep talent pool in the region and SDSU will not always be able to get them to Brookings. Do we have the talent over the next couple of years to compete with the ORU's and Oaklands in the conference? I think we do, but time will tell, but I have broader and maybe unrealistic expectations of where I would like to see the SDSU's Mens program and that is what the women have done and that is win the conference consistently,knock off the major conference foes in the region and beyond when we get an opportunity and finally make some noise in the NCAA Tournament when we get there.
            Last edited by JACKGUYII; 06-04-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              We have proven we can recruit local talent who have potential DI caliber skills, however we have not proven we can win with it. I hope we can as you have stated before "its a lot easier to recruit local players". While more local players create more interest and a broader following I still think it will be a balance as we may not always consistently have the current deep talent pool in the region and SDSU will not always be able to get them to Brookings. Do we have the talent over the next couple of years to compete with the ORU's and Oaklands in the conference? I think we do, but time will tell, but I have broader and maybe unrealistic expectations of where I would like to see the SDSU's Mens program and that is what the women have done and that is win the conference consistently,knock off the major conference foes in the region and beyond when we get an opportunity and finally make some noise in the NCAA Tournament when we get there.
              I agree but hold out hope as NDSU has won with local talent...you'll see it swing back and forth.....funny how many were trashing Coach Nagy and staff 6 months ago and signing the praises of NDSU Staff....today it's the other way around and was done with 4 or 5 local top talent signings. Going to get tougher for all 4 DI schools in ND and SD to repeat the recent recruiting classes because there are more schools.

Winning the league - most attainable
              Winning a game in the NCAA's - tougher
              Win two games in the tournament - so long coaching staff.....two wins in the tournament = 7 figure contract for head coach.

Comment

I would like nothing better than to see Nagy have some options as a result of the program turning the corner in DI over the next couple of years. He has sure earned it with his committment to the program even through the tough times the last couple of years. I also think with other local players like Krogman, Tetzlaff and now Bartling it will just add to the excitement once games against USD are resumed. Is Terrell Newton from Huron too much of a tweener at 6'5 to play at the DI level? He seems to have legitimate post skills, but is going to be tough to play at the DI level unless he has the quickness to play outside.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  While I agree with most of what you state....There is nothing that creates more excitement or interest than winning!!! No matter where the talent comes from.
                  Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                  Muhammad Ali

Comment

I agree but hold out hope as NDSU has won with local talent...you'll see it swing back and forth.....funny how many were trashing Coach Nagy and staff 6 months ago and signing the praises of NDSU Staff....today it's the other way around and was done with 4 or 5 local top talent signings. Going to get tougher for all 4 DI schools in ND and SD to repeat the recent recruiting classes because there are more schools.

Winning the league - most attainable
                    Winning a game in the NCAA's - tougher
                    Win two games in the tournament - so long coaching staff.....two wins in the tournament = 7 figure contract for head coach.
                    EXACTLY!!! Rep points for Cadsev.

Nagy must have changed his whole philosophy or something (sarcasm). Maybe he and the staff are finally benefitting from the end of transition and having a couple things go their way.

It is exciting to see things on the upswing!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                      While I agree with most of what you state....There is nothing that creates more excitement or interest than winning!!! No matter where the talent comes from.
                      I meant to make that point in the post and did not and was glad you made it as I could not agree more. At the end of the day Jacks fans have and always will get behind their team regardless of where they originally resided from. Winning and playing hard solves a lot issues and I think we are going to do a lot of that over the next several years.

Comment

"As far as college stuff goes no scholarship offers yet, but the strongest interest has been from South Dakota, Northeastern, Montana State, South Dakota State, St. Cloud State, and Southwest State," Taylor explained. "I have also heard from Butler, Iowa State, North Dakota State, Colorado State and Boston U. I'm hoping to trade basketball for an education. I think college coaches aren't sure what position I play, but I consider myself a small forward who is long enough to play power forward as well."
                        Moderator note: Please do not copy and paste full text of copyrighted articles. Excerpt articles, instead. -- filbert
                        Last edited by filbert; 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I have heard Alex Hanks and Dan Kornbaum are attending the elite camp today and tomorrow. Kornbaum is a 6'8" post from Little Falls with ties to the Brookings area.

Comment

From what I know Dan Kornbaum has grandparents in Brookings. He has older brothers (Ron & Will) and I think his dad's name is Frank? They live in Little Falls, MN. I have seen Dan play in the CLC and a little with the Comets Elite team....a real nice post player. Needs to put on a little weight though.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Hoyle View Post
                              From what I know Dan Kornbaum has grandparents in Brookings. He has older brothers (Ron & Will) and I think his dad's name is Frank? They live in Little Falls, MN. I have seen Dan play in the CLC and a little with the Comets Elite team....a real nice post player. Needs to put on a little weight though.
                              I deleted my prior post as I dont think I was correctly connecting the dots. There is a Kornbaum listed in the Brookings telephone book and I will leave it at that.

Comment

http://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec

According to TV's tweet, Jordan Dykstra is at the elite camp. No suprise.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X