Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Does anybody know what Gruis' plans are on recruitment.... does he plan to verbal early?
    Gosh I am surprised, I thought you would know. What happen to your statewide grape vine?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Gosh I am surprised, I thought you would know. What happen to your statewide grape vine?
      out of state...

no I am just wondering if people in the know get a feel that he will verbal early or not.....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        out of state...

no I am just wondering if people in the know get a feel that he will verbal early or not.....
        I dont know and I dont care. Its not important. Whats new in Tyndall?

Comment

Getting Gruis would be really exciting. Getting Wolters had to help the cause. The verbal from Heemstra adds to the attractiveness of the SDSU, too. Add the South Dakota recruits and it's a powerful mix. Regional momentum has shifted. It's back with the Jacks.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Getting Gruis would be really exciting. Getting Wolters had to help the cause. The verbal from Heemstra adds to the attractiveness of the SDSU, too. Add the South Dakota recruits and it's a powerful mix. Regional momentum has shifted. It's back with the Jacks.
            I agree, but I dont think Gruis has to make any commitments until he is ready. I think we found out how that works with Nate Wolters. Even Nagy respects Wolters for taking his time. Same should be affored to Gruis, a player we could definitely use. Its about his life and his education too, so these are his choices to make and make them when he sees fit.

Comment

I think the decided advantage SDSU continues to have over NDSU in the short and long term is there seems to be year in and year out more DI Caliber Basketball Players in the state of South Dakota and the immediate region. If we can finally conquer Minnesota and specifically the Twin Cities and start taking some players that are currently going to UNI and other Mid-Major places than we will really be going in the right direction. SDSU has a more prominent Basketball History than any of the other Dakota DI schools. The state of South Dakota is "Basketball Crazy" and putting a winning Mens Product on the floor again will bring the fans back out!

Comment

Chad White is outstanding....had he not verballed early, not gotten hurt he would have gone higher than the Summit League.
                I have seen this reffered to before on here and would like to discuss it. I have seen alot of people talk about how when a player verbals how other schools just back off. I just haven't seen that to be the case in the past. Do you think if Chad White just blows up his jr and sr years that noone, including say a Minnesota, Creighton or UNI is going to dial up his number or make the drive to Madison? This maybe unrelated, but I remember a few years ago when Mangino took over the Kansas football program (or at least they called it a program back then). He had kids verbal to him and had a decent number still go on visits to other schools and eventually decommit. He made a rule that if you commit to Kansas and take another visit that your offer is pulled. I worried about that back then, but it's worked. I think recruiting is as cutthroat as car sales and if a coach thinks he can get a player that can help him, he'll go after him until that kid signs his name. Getting a verbal is great, but the way some of these kids and PARENTS are today, I'm not celebrating until signing day.

Just my .02. Maybe some of you have experienced different?

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                  I have seen this reffered to before on here and would like to discuss it. I have seen alot of people talk about how when a player verbals how other schools just back off. I just haven't seen that to be the case in the past. Do you think if Chad White just blows up his jr and sr years that noone, including say a Minnesota, Creighton or UNI is going to dial up his number or make the drive to Madison? This maybe unrelated, but I remember a few years ago when Mangino took over the Kansas football program (or at least they called it a program back then). He had kids verbal to him and had a decent number still go on visits to other schools and eventually decommit. He made a rule that if you commit to Kansas and take another visit that your offer is pulled. I worried about that back then, but it's worked. I think recruiting is as cutthroat as car sales and if a coach thinks he can get a player that can help him, he'll go after him until that kid signs his name. Getting a verbal is great, but the way some of these kids and PARENTS are today, I'm not celebrating until signing day.

Just my .02. Maybe some of you have experienced different?
                  football and basketball are very different.... football doesn't have an early signing period like basketball, there are more serious injuries, more recruits in general..... plus there is the soft verbal, hard verbal ordeal.... I agree that recruiting is cutthroat.... but its a lot different for basketball then football.....

Comment

football and basketball are very different.... football doesn't have an early signing period like basketball, there are more serious injuries, more recruits in general..... plus there is the soft verbal, hard verbal ordeal.... I agree that recruiting is cutthroat.... but its a lot different for basketball then football.....
                    Good points (I probably shouldn't have brought up football ). But the question still remains, are we to believe that just b/c a player is a verbal commit that everyone else automatically backs off? I've know guys who have verbaled who still get harassed until they sign.

Comment

Good points (I probably shouldn't have brought up football ). But the question still remains, are we to believe that just b/c a player is a verbal commit that everyone else automatically backs off? I've know guys who have verbaled who still get harassed until they sign.
                      No...... but like I've said in general coaches don't go out of there way to recruit a kid who has already verballed...... now are there some situations, and some coaches that don't care.... yes, but from what I know about recruiting is in most cases there is more of a honor code in basketball then there is in other sports..... When is the last time SDSU lost a recruit that they have had verballed? When is the last time a local recruit changed his recruitment for basketball? If you look at 95% of players or schools who back out of verbals it is for either; coaching change, or probation on the school side, or severe injury, bad grades, or legal troubles on the student athletes side..... And a lot of times if a coach is recruiting a player that has already verballed its because he doesn't know about it, thats why most verbals get public....

Comment

But the question still remains, are we to believe that just b/c a player is a verbal commit that everyone else automatically backs off?.
                        I don't think they back off, but most college coaches are realistic.

ANALOGY ALERT

Say you wanted to ask a really pretty girl to prom, talked to her during study hall, sit by her at ballgames, etc. You ask her to prom, she says maybe.

Then you hear that she told the captain of the football team she would go with him. Chances are you're still going to talk to here during study hall and sit by her at games. But the only way you actually ask her to go again is if you hear things aren't going as expected with her current date.

Now you could go the stalker route and continue to pressure her to go with you regardless of her verbal commitment to go with someone else. If you go this route, it's a high risk high reward. If it goes south, you risk her talking badly about you to her friends. Soon, you might find it difficult to find any kind of date.

Next thing you know, it's prom night and everybody is dancing but you. If only you'd let it go, you probably could have gone with another pretty girl and had just as much fun.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Next thing you know, it's prom night and everybody is dancing but you. If only you'd let it go, you probably could have gone with another pretty girl and had just as much fun.
                          This is the best part. Great analogy.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I don't think they back off, but most college coaches are realistic.

ANALOGY ALERT

Say you wanted to ask a really pretty girl to prom, talked to her during study hall, sit by her at ballgames, etc. You ask her to prom, she says maybe.

Then you hear that she told the captain of the football team she would go with him. Chances are you're still going to talk to here during study hall and sit by her at games. But the only way you actually ask her to go again is if you hear things aren't going as expected with her current date.

Now you could go the stalker route and continue to pressure her to go with you regardless of her verbal commitment to go with someone else. If you go this route, it's a high risk high reward. If it goes south, you risk her talking badly about you to her friends. Soon, you might find it difficult to find any kind of date.

Great analogy, SFRF... rep points coming your way.
                            Taking it a step further, is a Big Dance in the near future for the Jacks?

Comment

Trying to avoid smack here...and I apologize filbert.

But this sounds like the lakesbison way of dating

Comment

Calcaterra & Fillipek impress at Jayhawk Invitational- 60 of the best AAU teams from around the country in 17U.

Barnes and the Attack brought home the gold17 and Under

The bright lights of the tournament championship shined upon the KC Pump N Run and All Iowa Attack Red. KC was going for their fifth straight Jayhawk Invitational championship but fell at the hands of the Attack who is led by the number one rated small forward in the nation Harrison Barnes. Barnes took over late in the game totaling 24 points as the Attack was victorious 76-72. The 6-foot-6, 205 pound Barnes has been on the minds of several Gopher fans lately because Minnesota made the cut to 12 schools of the Ames, Iowa superstar. Tubby Smith and company have made numerous trips to see Barnes play and so far they remain in contention all be it with 11 other teams that include Duke, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, Oklahoma, and others.

Despite the fact that he missed out on the Jayhawk Invitational all-tournament team Taylor Filipek deserves outstanding mention for his performance on the big stage. His buzzer beating shot against the St. Louis Gateway sent the Comets into a game with the Colorado Chaos who the Comets handled as well. Filipek's jumper was created by Grand Rapids guard Michael Johnson who also created a jumper for Jordan Riewer on the previous possession that tied that same Gateway game.

Against the KC Pump N Run Trevor Releford led his team to a 15-1 start and the Comets played from behind the entire afternoon. Fillipek's 25 points helped get the Comets within three but they never did get any closer. For the weekend the Comets finished with a 5-2 record. Amongst those wins was a quarterfinal victory over the Minnesota Fury Elite team who left Kansas with wins over the Oklahoma Magic, the Arizona Magic, and four wins overall in six games.

The Minnesota Pump-N-Run came into the Jayhawk Invitational with four other tournament titles and a 25-0 record. Their first losses of the season came at the hands of the Oklahoma Magic and KC Pump N Run but the Minnesota Pumps left Kansas also winning five of seven games.

Pulley big Chad Calcaterra had his best game of the weekend against the New Mexico Force when he scored 20 points, grabbed a dozen boards, and swatted away six shots. Overall he provided Pulley with about nine points a game while sophomore Joe Coleman gave his team 14 a contest.

Comment

Working...
                                X