2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

I'm drawing a blank right now....who do we have verbals from for 2010 recruits besides Heemstra?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
      I'm drawing a blank right now....who do we have verbals from for 2010 recruits besides Heemstra?
      He is the only verbal for 2010 as of now, though we have a verbal from Zach Horstman for 2011
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        He is the only verbal for 2010 as of now, though we have a verbal from Zach Horstman for 2011
        Thanks. I thought he was the only one but couldn't convince myself otherwise. I did remember Zach for the 2011 class. He's tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          Do you honestly think so? All signs point to him going to a major conference team and he still had an outstanding offer from U of M as of April 9th... just wondering if you know something many others don't?

His offer is a verbal and he isn't even playing many minutes for his Pulley AAU team. I do think he is an excellent prospect, but not a Big Ten player. Clearly, he will go D1, but probably a mid-major. He would look good in a Jackrabbit uniform.

I would take rankings that come out of the Twin Cities area with a grain of salt.If players are not from the metro and/or play for one of the Twin Cities based AAU teams,you don't get much recognition.A year ago,posters on the Minnesota prep board were throwing a fit that Cody Schilling was even a finalist for Mr. Basketball,even though he had set the state records for points and assists.This may or may not be an accurate ranking for Gruis,but I wouldn't take it as the final word.
          I don't claim to be an expert, but I would take Ryan James thoughts as more than a grain of salt. He's seen plenty of outstate teams/players including Ellsworth. 4 of his top 10 ranked players are non-metro. I am not knocking Gruis by any means....just saying that Bjorkland or Calcaterra and a couple of others are higher big men prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            The major need is a big man. (As is everyone's) I really think they want to see if White can play the point guard position.

I wouldn't say this is literally true for everyone. Oakland, for instance. Big men would not be their biggest need.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              I wouldn't say this is literally true for everyone. Oakland, for instance. Big men would not be their biggest need.
              Someone always has to find something.......

But Oakland would still take a good big man anyday. Everyone would.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                Someone always has to find something.......

But Oakland would still take a good big man anyday. Everyone would.
                "Find something?"
                The central point of your post was an assertion the "major need" of "every team" is a big man. One could make a pretty good argument that that is not the case with the Jacks if Davis plays next year.
                This is a discussion board, for goodness sake.

Comment

Benson is a junior next year and if he has a monster year I could see him being the next ill advised kid to jump to the NBA...er NBADL. Either way, the kid is gone in two years.

Bigs are like left handed pitchers, you'll take a decent one any chance you can get, no matter who is on your roster.

Oaklnad bigs;

Benson - 6'11/225 Junior - 14.3 ppg 7.8 rpg
                  Hudson - 6'9/225 Junior - 7.4 ppg 6.4 rpg
                  Milutinovic - 7'0/255 Soph - 1.9 ppg 1.2 rpg
                  Thames - 6'9/220 RSFrosh - redshirted

Comment

Jacks bigs:

Cordova - 6'7/245 Junior - 12.0 ppg 6.7 rpg
                    Davis - 6'10/240 Junior - medical redshirt
                    Fiegen - 6'8/205 Frosh - high school
                    Engen - 6'10/220 Senior - 1.9 ppg 1.2 rpg

possibly....

Cassaday - 6'6/225 Soph - 2.8 ppg 3.2 rpg
                    Pederson - 6'8/210 Soph - redshirted
                    Williams - 6'6/220 Senior - 9.8 ppg 7.1 rpg

If Davis can even contribute 20 minutes a game it will be a huge boost. Not sure what Fiegen will give the Jacks but I see an athletic kid who could be a change of pace from AC and Davis. Obviously would love to see add 20+ lbs. Engen is Engen, few minutes a game.

Cassaday is physical and a willing blue collar guy who could maybe steal some minutes inside, against the right teams. Pederson is more of an outside guy but at 6'8 he could be pushed inside for a few minute. Kai has played inside before.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                      Jacks bigs:

possibly....

If Davis can even contribute 20 minutes a game it will be a huge boost. Not sure what Fiegen will give the Jacks but I see an athletic kid who could be a change of pace from AC and Davis. Obviously would love to see add 20+ lbs. Engen is Engen, few minutes a game.

Cassaday is physical and a willing blue collar guy who could maybe steal some minutes inside, against the right teams. Pederson is more of an outside guy but at 6'8 he could be pushed inside for a few minute. Kai has played inside before.
                      Thought Fiegen was more of classic 3.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Thought Fiegen was more of classic 3.
                        Fiegen will fall into the 4 role out of necessity more than likely, as the 1-3 position will be occupied by Callahanx2, Sargent, Moss, White, Palarca, and Radar (though similar in height to Fiegen, is considered more of an outside shooter). Kai will probably alternate between the 3 and 4 position, with the 4s/5s being Cordova, Fiegen, Cassiday, and Davis pending on his health. Pederson maybe could see some minutes as well, and Engen will see mop up and spot duty if bigs get into foul trouble.

Fiegen is a unique talent in that he is athletic enough at 6'8 to play the 3, but has the frame to bulk up and be a 4... which means he could develop into a nice match up problem for other teams if he fulfills his potential. I see him in his freshman and maybe sophomore year to be a Ben Beran type player, shooting mid range jumpers and doing some clean up duty on the glass, and later developing his "back to the basket" game.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Jacks bigs:

possibly....

This is a little more thread drift but I was wondering, what is a "big"?
                          Does it go by size, willingness to mix it up down low or what?
                          Radar is taller and bigger than Williams. Engen shoots the 3 more than Moss and Moss rebounds better. I know Kai's played down low but so has Griffen.
                          I see Cordova, Davis, Fiegen, Cassaday and Pederson as guys that want mix it up down low. I don't know about Davis's health or Pederson's size but they will do the dirty work.
                          I think Kai did it because he had, too. Not to say he wouldn't do it again if called on but that's not his game. He will do whatever it takes to help the team. Engen has the height but not the size. He doesn't have a low enough center of gravity to battle down there. Radar is supposed to be a perimeter player, too.
                          If this doesn't belong, just get rid of it but I was just wondering.

Comment

A "big" in my world is a guy that plays the 4 or 5. A guy like Cassaday might play the 4 at times (due to us not having an abundance of true 4 and 5's) but he's not really a true "big".

A "big" is usually 6'7+. 6'7 isn't that great for size....unless you have the bulk and can get the most out of your size/play bigger than you are, like Cordova.

Comment

A "big" is usually 6'7+. 6'7 isn't that great for size....
                              if your team plays in the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 10, Big East, etc.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If your team is shaping up with long 6'7" - 6'9" skilled players a 6'9" athletic, lanky big fits the bill more than a grinding plowboy big. That's why Gruis is on the radar so strong for SDSU plus he's local, he's easier to recruit and chances of landing him over a 6'10"+ kid are more realstic. Almost every school needs bigs and they are premium players regardless of talent. Probably the position where "projects" get scholarships over current talent.

Tony Fiegen is a 4-man.....was recruited as a 4 and will play the 4 for SDSU. He's not considered a slasher or a 3-man in any means.

Chad White will get some looks at PG and therefore the focus on the final 2010 offer is a Big Center/Post what have you type player. The "Old-School" post player is a thing of the past for most schools heck even the NBA.....athleticism over size most days.

Comment

Working...
                                X