2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

So who do we have offers out for in this class?

Here is what I got
    Offers
    Trevor Gruis. 6'9" PF/C from Ellsworth MN
    Elliot Eliason 6'11" C from Chadron NE- (no hope at getting him)
    Chad Calcaterra C from Cloquet MN- (don't know much about him)
    Cole Steffan SG from Minnetonka MN

Might have offers
    Marshall Bjourkland?
    Taylor Filipek 6'6" PG (supposedly similar to Chad White type of player?)

no offers yet but are being looked at
    TJ Bray- 6'3" PG fromWaukesa WI
    Jordan Reetz- 6'5" SG from Falls Creek WI

Comment

One remaining Scholarship, priority is a BIG MAN!

Comment

If the priority is big men then Eliason would be the big get. After that Bjorkland is the 2nd best (assuming his surgery & recovery go well). Calcaterra & Gruis have posted some good high school numbers, but their competition has been very limited. When they play AAU with all the other big men they are both just average ("potential" is there, however).

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Hoyle View Post
          If the priority is big men then Eliason would be the big get. After that Bjorkland is the 2nd best (assuming his surgery & recovery go well). Calcaterra & Gruis have posted some good high school numbers, but their competition has been very limited. When they play AAU with all the other big men they are both just average ("potential" is there, however).
          Eliason won't be a Jackrabbit. He's a HIGH MAJOR recruit.

Calcaterra is also getting high major looks, not sure how serious but he has been around on visits to at least two Big Ten schools other than Minnesota. Again, he's on the radar and not suggesting he's a Big Ten player.

Gruis would fit the system and has the same body type as many of the recent recruits. I would not call his play "average".

Comment

Marshall Bjorklund currently has a scholarship offer from NDSU and is getting looks from other DI's in the area, but I haven't heard if SDSU has offered him or not...

If you want a glimpse of the kid here is a short video: http://www.kare11.com/sports/prep/at...storyid=538537

Also, one of the TV stations in the cities ran a long story about Marshall's dad fighting cancer while still trying to make it to his son's games. I can't find a link to it, so if someone finds it feel free to post it, for it was a pretty nice story.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              So who do we have offers out for in this class?

Here is what I got
              Offers
              Trevor Gruis. 6'9" PF/C from Ellsworth MN
              Elliot Eliason 6'11" C from Chadron NE- (no hope at getting him)
              Chad Calcaterra C from Cloquet MN- (don't know much about him)
              Thoughts: With no knowledge of any of these kids personally, I think the big we'd have the best chance at landing from this list is Gruis. His hometown is only an hour and a half away from campus, which means his friends and family will be able to see him play on a regular basis; He also doesn't have the large school offers that the other two guys have, as currently scouts.com only lists one BCS school, Minnesota, on his interest list, and I don't believe they have an offer out to him.

Eliason seems to be out of reach, as he has already recieved home state offers from Creighton and Nebraska as well as from Colorado State and Washington State, not to mention receiving interest from schools like Louisville.

Calcaterra has offers from major conference school such as Minnesota and Auburn, and has said that Minnesota is the front runner and he is basically just keeping his options open. This is actually good for us in regards to Gruis, as I doubt Minnesota would offer Trevor if they get a commitment from Calcaterra, being that they already have a lot of good, young bigs currently on their roster.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

I was very impressed with Gruis when I saw him. He played well in the state tournament. He is very athletic for his size, but once again not your back to the basket center like Cordova. I would be very happy if Gruis became a Jackrabbit. We know Gruis has an offer and I'm sure there are additional recruits the Jacks are talking that we are not aware of. I still think we are lacking a quick point guard who take it to the rack, hit the jump shot and creat shots for others in the mold of Ben Woodside (NDSU) Jonathan Jones (Oakland) Robert Jarvis (ORU). Maybe Brayden Carlson is that guy.
                Last edited by JACKGUYII; 04-19-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  I was very impressed with Gruis when I saw him. He played well in the state tournament. He is very athletic for his size, but once again not your back to the basket center like Cordova. I would be very happy if Gruis became a Jackrabbit. We know Gruis has an offer and I'm sure there are additional recruits the Jacks are talking that we are not aware of. I still think we are lacking a quick point guard who take it to the rack, hit the jump shot and creat shots for others in the mold of Ben Woodside (NDSU) Jonathan Jones (Oakland) Robert Jarvis (ORU). Maybe Brayden Carlson is that guy.
                  Since you have seen Gruis in action JACKGUYII and I have not, my question to you is how has Trevor been getting his points (i.e. Does he shoot from the outside, mid range jump shots, offensive putbacks, etc...) and would you consider him a physical player or a finess player?

The reason why I ask that is because I feel many higher profile high school bigs do not have a good "back to the basket" game because they physically outmatch many of their defenders and can rely on basic drop step moves and putbacks to get their points. I think many bigs develop their post games a lot more at the college level out of necessity because the players that guard them are more evenly matched, plus they have access to better coaching and dedicate much more time to the game while in college.

I use Anthony Cordova as an example of developing post moves in college, as I think most would agree that he didn't show much of a post game his first year, but developed into one of the best posts in the league his sophomore year due to offseason work in that area of his game. I think if Gruis has a tough, inside demeanor, his post game will come, but if he plays soft for his size and leans more towards finess than physical he probably won't develop into the post player we need.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Kudos for the Hemestra verbal. Sounds like he will be a great addition. Gruis could be a great addition too. Hopefully the point guard issue will be resolved this off season, before these guysjoin the team in 2010.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Kudos for the Hemestra verbal. Sounds like he will be a great addition. Gruis could be a great addition too. Hopefully the point guard issue will be resolved this off season, before these guysjoin the team in 2010.
                      Isn't the biggest immediate need a big man, especially if Davis can't play?

Comment

The major need is a big man. (As is everyone's) I really think they want to see if White can play the point guard position.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                          Eliason won't be a Jackrabbit. He's a HIGH MAJOR recruit.

Calcaterra is also getting high major looks, not sure how serious but he has been around on visits to at least two Big Ten schools other than Minnesota. Again, he's on the radar and not suggesting he's a Big Ten player.

Gruis would fit the system and has the same body type as many of the recent recruits. I would not call his play "average".
                          Gruis is a great player who faces 1A school talent....all I am saying is that he blends in when faced against top bigs on the AAU circuit.
                          Calcaterra will not be in the Big Ten, but could have a great career at SDSU. My money would be on Bjorkland....realize that NDSU may be his choice (he's interested in Ag for a degree), but I would not say SDSU is out of the hunt. Alec Brown is emerging from Winona and the two Henry Sibley bigs will get their chance this year after they graduated Brusewitz & Halvorson. Ryan James from MN Preps knows basketball and these were his top "prospect" rankings. Note that there were 9-10 other F/C ahead of Gruis.
                          Re: Class of 2010 Prospect Rankings
                          1. Chad Calcaterra, C, Cloquet
                          2. Kevin Noreen, SF, Minnesota Transitions
                          3. Cole Stefan, sg, Minnetonka
                          4. Jacob Thomas, sg, Columbia Heights
                          5. Marshall Bjorklund, PF, Sibley East
                          6. Mike Rostampour, PF, Henry Sibley
                          7. Jake Kreuser, C, Henry Sibley
                          8. D.J. Peterson, SG, Hopkins
                          9. Dyami Starks, SG, Duluth East
                          10. Taylor Filipek, SF, Willmar
                          11. Brett Ervin, SF, Eden Prairie
                          12. Tor Anderson, SG, Minnetonka
                          13. Jauson Sewer, SG, Richfield
                          14. Clay Horne, SF, Cretin-Derham Hall
                          15. Ben Bucholz, PF, Perham
                          16. Tony Gerdling, PG, Centenntial
                          17. Jordan Hughes, PG, Mpls. Patrick Henry
                          18. Leonard Glass, SF, Minnetonka
                          19. Trevor Gruis, PF, Ellsworth
                          20. Ryan Duxbury, PF, Stillwater
                          21. Vinard Birch, PG, Eastview
                          22. Danny Geiger, SF, New Prague
                          23. Manani Beavers, SF, Tartan
                          24. Max Rosenbloom, SF, St. Paul Johnson
                          25. Jordan Riewer, PG/SG. Staples-Motley

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            The major need is a big man. (As is everyone's) I really think they want to see if White can play the point guard position.
                            I'm not sure. I heard the coach say in a speech a few months ago that a ball-handling point guard is a big need. As previously mentioned by others, the injury status of Davis probably will influence who gets the next scholarship for 2010, assuming there's still one available.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Calcaterra will not be in the Big Ten, but could have a great career at SDSU.
                              Do you honestly think so? All signs point to him going to a major conference team and he still had an outstanding offer from U of M as of April 9th... just wondering if you know something many others don't?
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Gruis is a great player who faces 1A school talent....all I am saying is that he blends in when faced against top bigs on the AAU circuit.
                                Calcaterra will not be in the Big Ten, but could have a great career at SDSU. My money would be on Bjorkland....realize that NDSU may be his choice (he's interested in Ag for a degree), but I would not say SDSU is out of the hunt. Alec Brown is emerging from Winona and the two Henry Sibley bigs will get their chance this year after they graduated Brusewitz & Halvorson. Ryan James from MN Preps knows basketball and these were his top "prospect" rankings. Note that there were 9-10 other F/C ahead of Gruis.
                                Re: Class of 2010 Prospect Rankings
                                1. Chad Calcaterra, C, Cloquet
                                2. Kevin Noreen, SF, Minnesota Transitions
                                3. Cole Stefan, sg, Minnetonka
                                4. Jacob Thomas, sg, Columbia Heights
                                5. Marshall Bjorklund, PF, Sibley East
                                6. Mike Rostampour, PF, Henry Sibley
                                7. Jake Kreuser, C, Henry Sibley
                                8. D.J. Peterson, SG, Hopkins
                                9. Dyami Starks, SG, Duluth East
                                10. Taylor Filipek, SF, Willmar
                                11. Brett Ervin, SF, Eden Prairie
                                12. Tor Anderson, SG, Minnetonka
                                13. Jauson Sewer, SG, Richfield
                                14. Clay Horne, SF, Cretin-Derham Hall
                                15. Ben Bucholz, PF, Perham
                                16. Tony Gerdling, PG, Centenntial
                                17. Jordan Hughes, PG, Mpls. Patrick Henry
                                18. Leonard Glass, SF, Minnetonka
                                19. Trevor Gruis, PF, Ellsworth
                                20. Ryan Duxbury, PF, Stillwater
                                21. Vinard Birch, PG, Eastview
                                22. Danny Geiger, SF, New Prague
                                23. Manani Beavers, SF, Tartan
                                24. Max Rosenbloom, SF, St. Paul Johnson
                                25. Jordan Riewer, PG/SG. Staples-Motley
                                I would take rankings that come out of the Twin Cities area with a grain of salt.If players are not from the metro and/or play for one of the Twin Cities based AAU teams,you don't get much recognition.A year ago,posters on the Minnesota prep board were throwing a fit that Cody Schilling was even a finalist for Mr. Basketball,even though he had set the state records for points and assists.This may or may not be an accurate ranking for Gruis,but I wouldn't take it as the final word.

Comment

Working...
                                X