Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by jack power View Post
    Also found this blog with an interesting comment toward the end.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/d...nes-blog/#4118
    The person who told me he would not be playing at Iowa State also told me that SDSU would be his next choice. I'm not sure how interested we are and I don't know just how we'd go about offering him or if he would even consider walking on initially. I suspect I'll hear more about this next week. Maybe we'll all know more about it before then.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Folks,,,,,,hold on to your shorts! Earlier this morning Jordan Dykstra (of Rock Valley, Iowa) and Iowa State University amiably parted ways. Jordan originally committed to ISU as a 6'9" freshman in high school. Basically, ISU asked Jordan for a full time commitment to basketball in order to prepare for the physical rigors of Big 12 basketball. Jordan apparently decided that there were other high school activities that he did not want to miss out on. (Football, music,etc.). When Rock Valley won their class championship this past March, in Des Moines. Jordan scored 21 points, grabbed 15 rebounds, 6 steals, and 3 blocked shots. He was selected captain of the all tourneyment team.
      Jordan Dykstra and Marcus Heemstra are both 6'9". Generally, Marcus plays post and Jordan plays on the perimeter. They have played together since fourth grade, and have talked about continuing that at the college level.
      Could the Jacks use a pair of 6'9" guys from Northwest Iowa?

Comment

Originally posted by bigsag View Post
        Folks,,,,,,hold on to your shorts! Earlier this morning Jordan Dykstra (of Rock Valley, Iowa) and Iowa State University amiably parted ways. Jordan originally committed to ISU as a 6'9" freshman in high school. Basically, ISU asked Jordan for a full time commitment to basketball in order to prepare for the physical rigors of Big 12 basketball. Jordan apparently decided that there were other high school activities that he did not want to miss out on. (Football, music,etc.). When Rock Valley won their class championship this past March, in Des Moines. Jordan scored 21 points, grabbed 15 rebounds, 6 steals, and 3 blocked shots. He was selected captain of the all tourneyment team.
        Jordan Dykstra and Marcus Heemstra are both 6'9". Generally, Marcus plays post and Jordan plays on the perimeter. They have played together since fourth grade, and have talked about continuing that at the college level.

That would be the "cherry on top" of this already awesome spring of recruiting. The 2010 class, might be as impressive as the 2009 class. It should be fun to watch it all play out.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Whether Jordan is wearing and SDSU uniform or not, I do applaud the decision to be a team player like he is choosing to do. That is a good decision, especially when you think of the the size of the school and the impact he has throughout the whole athletic program - not just basketball.

Comment

How many scholarships do we have available for the 2010 class? Right now, we have one verbal (Heemstra), but how many more do we have available.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              How many scholarships do we have available for the 2010 class? Right now, we have one verbal (Heemstra), but how many more do we have available.
              I'm not 100%, but I believe we have a full complement of scholarships going into this coming season. The Jacks will have 3 senior scholarship players (Williams, Callahan, and Engen), so that means we'll have 3 available, one of which will be taken up by Heemstra, and I believe the other will be going to Brayden Carlson, who I believe is walking on still since we signed Wolters. So if my calculations are correct, we should have 1 more available.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                I'm not 100%, but I believe we have a full complement of scholarships going into this coming season. The Jacks will have 3 senior scholarship players (Williams, Callahan, and Engen), so that means we'll have 3 available, one of which will be taken up by Heemstra, and I believe the other will be going to Brayden Carlson, who I believe is walking on still since we signed Wolters. So if my calculations are correct, we should have 1 more available.

Griffan Callahan is a walk-on still that is probably going to be getting more minutes than some scholarship players - I wonder how he will figure into the scholarship mix? Has anybody heard anything about Griff?

Comment

Originally posted by bigsag View Post
                  Welcome to the board, Bigsag. Have you watched those guys play very much? Are you from their area? What do you think are the chances Dykstra will go to SDSU?

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                    Griffan Callahan is a walk-on still that is probably going to be getting more minutes than some scholarship players - I wonder how he will figure into the scholarship mix? Has anybody heard anything about Griff?
                    I'd be very surprised if Nagy decided to give Griffan a scholarship over a big man in the 2010 class (Dykstra, Gruis, Calcaterra, Bjorklund) unless all of them fell through. Bigs are just to precious for a mid major (or any college basketball program) to give up an opportunity of getting one, especially with the talent some of these kids possess.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.... I have seen Jordan and Marcus play a number of times. Marcus has potential to be a pretty fair post player. He is still developing, and has a good up side. Jordan seems most comfortable in the 3 or 4 position. He can really run the floor. He was an absolute terror in the championship game, in Des Moines, this past March. I would suspect that schools like UNI, Creighton, and others will be contacting Jordan shortly. SDSU has a very good reputation with NW Iowa high school athletes. Apparently, Jordan and Marcus have talked about playing basketball together in college. So I suspect that Jordan would entertain a phone call from Coach Nagy.

On a personal note; I am an ISU grad with kids at ISU and SDSU. Love Jackrabbit football. NDSU is going to have a big "hurt" put on them, by ISU this next September 3rd. ISU may be at the bottom of the Big 12 totem pole, but it is still a Big 12 school.

Comment

From today's Argus Leader:

Rock Valley star ponders SDSU
                        Jordan Dykstra, a 6-foot-9 upcoming sen­ior forward from Rock Valley, Iowa, has decided not to fulfill a verbal commitment to play men’s basketball at Iowa State.
                        He indicated in an e-mail to the Des Moines Register that he may be interested in playing alongside prep teammate Marcus Heemstra – a South Dakota State recruit.
                        Dykstra averaged 17.7 points and 10.1 rebounds as a junior, helping Rock Valley to a Class 1A state title.

Comment

I am guessing that SDSU has made an offer and its there for Dykstra to accept. What is interesting is that Greg McDermott and staff from ISU got him to commit as a Freshman.
                          I thought it was a risk to offer to Sophmores White and Feigen, but thankfully that all worked out. I did not know others beside Nagy made these kind of offers and I thought Nagy made the Madison offers out of desparation of hanging on to local talent.

Lets not forget that McDermott was once an assistant at UND and also coached against Nagy when he was an assistant at SDSU, so they both know each other rather well and have for a long time. If we have not offered, I will be surprised. From what Dykstra has to say that he wants to play with his team mate suggests to me that there was an offer by SDSU for Dykstra. Lets see what happens with the fall signing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            From today's Argus Leader:

Rock Valley star ponders SDSU
                            Jordan Dykstra, a 6-foot-9 upcoming sen­ior forward from Rock Valley, Iowa, has decided not to fulfill a verbal commitment to play men’s basketball at Iowa State.
                            He indicated in an e-mail to the Des Moines Register that he may be interested in playing alongside prep teammate Marcus Heemstra – a South Dakota State recruit.
                            Dykstra averaged 17.7 points and 10.1 rebounds as a junior, helping Rock Valley to a Class 1A state title.

Where did you see this? Link?
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Cool. What a sweet addition Dykstra would be. He certainly would help solve the Jacks' shortage of bigs. He would be welcome to SDSU.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                Where did you see this? Link?
                                http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/50411008 go to page 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X