Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    I have no problem with you Billy, but I'll thrw my 2 cents in here....

If we believe everything you say (not saying anyone shouldn't or should do that) then there were 1-5 kids who had an offer from SDSU on the table, but never pulled the trigger. Then when the offer is pulled off the table and they supposedly given to someone else, they are mad? If that's true then I have to laugh at these kids. If you (speaking of potential recruits) think you're so special that any school is going to hold their last scholly just for you then you're a little goofy. Not to mention when that school could use that schollie to ink possibly the most decorated incoming recruit in the history of the program.

And, to the kids whining about this being an audition. With all due respect, gimme a break. This is an elite camp at a D-1 school. Of course, in alot of ways, it's an audition. Did they think there was going to be layup drills and hours of one-on-one instruction from Coach Nagy? I would imagine the only reason these kids are upset is b/c noone fell all over them begging them to save SDSU.

This will have little to zero effect on other AAU kids....if it's even an issue. If a kid is getting interest from SDSU and other similar schools he'll do what is best for HIM. He's not going to turn down four years of education or only visit NDSU, USD, UMKC and Minnesota State b/c Bobby on his AAU team is mad at SDSU. Again, gimma a break.

At the end of the day the person I trust most in all this and possibly the only person I trust at all, is Scott Nagy. There is alot of emotions to get stirred up when talking about competetive athletes and their stage parents.
    I wouldn't laugh at the kids....but raise an eyebrow to whomever is giving them advice......that's were the problem is.
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Does anyone know how many scholarships we have available for 2010? Someone posed this question to TV today in his live chat and here is what TV had to say "Honestly, I'm not certain on the 2010 scholarship situation because the team isn't either. There are some options in terms of giving (or not giving) scholarships to players already on the roster."

I think the big issue is the condition of Davis and if he can ever play again.

It is too bad that the kids thought they got duped, but who knows maybe there is potentially another scholarship available to one of them.

Comment

You have to think if Dykstra accepts a scholarship and the coaching staff is still very high on Gruis,Filipek or one of the other Senior to be campers and they want to be Jackrabbits than the coaching staff will figure out a way to get them to Brookings. I too think there will be another scholarship for 2010, but don't ask me why? There also seems to be some good options in-state and in the region for 2011. I don't think you can have ever have too many good big men,, but maybe we are approaching that place. It sure is fun to be talking Jacks Men's Basketball this early in the year and especially about positive things.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
          Right now 0....but one could open depending on Davis status. If he's not able to play next year that would open up a scholarship. Four are on tap for 2011 class..one is already spoken for in Zach Horstman.

Elite Camp - Monday and Tuesday for incoming Juniors and Seniors.....expect to see Hemestra, Dykstra, Sam Wallin (OG), Keaton Moffitt (OG), Cedric Lang (OG), Zach Kraning (Viborg), Cory Jacobsen (Viborg), Derek Brown (Clark), Zach Horstman and possibly Trevor Gruis.... unlikely anyone from RHS.....they aren't recruiting any of the athletes from RHS and Bartling is injured.

Wednesday and Thursday - Incoming 8th, 9th and Sophomores....who attends is anyones guess.

It's against NCAA Rules to make it exclusive and it's open to any kids who want to attend but number of participants can be controlled at a certain cut off point.
          Any word on how some of these other players looked this week?

Comment

ok.... the fact that these guys were there doesn't mean that they weren't competing for a potential scholarship..... I'm sure if anybody impressed them that the coaches won't forget about it..... I think dupped is a very bad word..... Was coach Nagy as well as other assistants at the camp? if they were they were not dupped..... now if they sign up for this camp thinking that they were going to go to try to impress a college coach and found out is was ran by Brookings Middle School coach and the Brookings High School basketball players then that would be being dupped..... just because nobody left with an offer doesn't mean that they weren't competing for one..... scholarships are awarded on a year to year bases and many things can change.... if anybody impressed the coaches they won't forget about it....

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Hoyle View Post
              That's one of my points...lack of communication on where they really stood. (and if you want to blame the kids/parents for not asking the question that is fine). They felt like they were wanted at SDSU.

All the kids I am aware of have a full AAU schedule...this was there only camp. Like I have said before...lesson learned with these kids.

OK...I am officially off this topic...let the haters get the last word- haha

I guess I would be a little disappointed if the staff wasn't making players feel wanted. Isn't that what recruiting is all about?

Comment

I'm kinda confused....

So there were 4-5 players who felt like they were wanted so they came to this camp and then weren't wanted? I don't know what kind of camp this is.... If they felt like they weren't be paid attention to I understand being a little upset but if they are upset because they all didn't walk away with a scholarship offer I think they should look at themselves.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                  I guess I would be a little disappointed if the staff wasn't making players feel wanted. Isn't that what recruiting is all about?
                  Your kidding right?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    Your kidding right?
                    Yes, there was a good dose of sarcasm associated with my post.

Comment

According to Wikipedia there are 347 Division I men's basketball programs, so at 15 scholarships per program, there are 5205 scholarship players in all of Division I basketball in the United States at any one time. Is my math wrong?

Anyone who receives any Division I basketball scholarship offer is a talented individual with a rare opporunity. And no matter the state of the SDSU men's basketball program a scholarship offer to SDSU is also a rare opportunity.

With so few of these opportunities in our nation, there are of course going to be those who get left out even though they were considered or even offered scholarships. There is no way to come close to making everyone feel fully appreciated and perfectly treated now matter how much effort a coach, coaching staff or athletic department might put into it.

At this time I trust that the Jackrabbit men's basketball staff are doing the best they can to convince the best players and young men available to compete for the university and make all that are considered feel appreciated. There will always be many who were involved in the process that were not chosen. On the flip side there are and always will be many who SDSU would choose that will opt for basketball programs that they deem to be better.

This is the nature of the process and will never change.
                      Last edited by JackrabbitGuy; 06-15-2009, 09:31 AM. Reason: didn't finish my thought on one sentence
                      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                        According to Wikipedia there are 347 Division I men's basketball programs, so at 15 scholarships per program, there are 5205 scholarship players in all of Division I basketball in the United States at any one time. Is my math wrong?

Anyone who receives any Division I basketball scholarship offer is a talented individual with a rare opporunity. And no matter the state of the SDSU men's basketball program a scholarship offer to SDSU is also a rare opportunity.

With so few of these opportunities in our nation, there are of course going to be those who get left out even though they were considered or even offered scholarships. There is no way to come close to making everyone feel fully appreciated and perfectly treated now matter how much effort a coach, coaching staff or athletic department might put into it.

At this time I trust that the Jackrabbit men's basketball staff are doing the best they can to convince the best players and young men available to compete for the university. There will always be many who were involved in the process that were not chosen. On the flip side there are and always will be many who SDSU would choose that will opt for basketball programs that they deem to be better.

This is the nature of the process and will never change.
                        The points you have made are correct and I dont have any disagreement. I think if you are close to one of those who are left out, its a disappointment that the individual athlete has to deal with and those friends and relatives are probably not helpful to anyone involved by bringing up what appears to be inconsistentices in choices by the SDSU staff or any other institution that is out recruiting student athletes. I have not looked at the SDSU home page which details the financial cost of one year at SDSU, but lets say it is 13k per year and that times 4 is $52,000. It's a cost that faces everyone who wants to attend SDSU, so a full ride is a big deal financially.

Comment

13 is the limit for mens BB....15 for women
                          Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                          Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                            Interesting info, I was wondering how that was going to play out and why these recruits were coming since we didn't have a scholly. I thought maybe they were Juniors.

As far as pulling the offer from Gruis, I would assume that's a good sign for SDSU fans because I don't think Nagy would have pulled the offer unless he was certain Dykstra was going to commit.
                            The offer was pulled after Hemestra verballed. It didn't happen last week, during camp, after camp. Gruis attend the camp knowing full well that the offer was not on the table any longer. Scroll back a few pages where someone mentioned SDSU had 0 offers for 2010 left unless Davis's scholarship was available. Most likely it will happen but until it does there is no $$$ for any 2010 kid. Dykstra knows this as well......the staff is upfront with all the athletes and they all know whats at stake....besides $75 or $100 for the camp is little investment especially for athletes who weren't even there for the entire camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Hoyle View Post
                              I know of 4-5 that were personally invited, have been receiving regular contact with SDSU staff and/or have had SDSU staff at games or visited their schools specifically. They felt like they were going to an audition to a school that seriously wanted them. If you want to say they were disillusioned...fine. If you want to say other negative things about how some 17 yr.olds should be feeling...fine. If you are a Dkystra lover...I get that to. I would agree that probably most of the 110 were there for different reasons.
                              I don't disagree with SDSU offering Dykstra. In my opinion they would have been better off with Gruis...attack my opinions if you desire. You date a pretty girl until a prettier girl comes along....I get that to. I am simply saying it could have been handled better.

It's an opinion
                              Elite camp means they only invited 200 kids as opposed to 2000 kids for a general population camp....seriously, welcome to the bitter world of recruiting. Does every piece of "junk" mail a kid receives from a University = scholarship? NO, it simply is a very small part of the process and any kid who is recruited has Charmin boxes full of letters and mail that means absolutely nothing. Kids get invited to "Elite" camps all over the country and if they feel slighted because they got to the camp and see 100 other athletes and thought that they were the only ones going to be at the camp then they are living in a false world of hope and desire that will never amount to much.

When the coach shows up at their door step or gym on a regular basis and a scholarship is offered then you know the University or College is serious. Until there is an offer it's all hogwash and part of the process. Let the kids who feel slighted talk to all their buddies..it's not going to affect SDSU recruiting or their elite camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                                Elite camp means they only invited 200 kids as opposed to 2000 kids for a general population camp....seriously, welcome to the bitter world of recruiting. Does every piece of "junk" mail a kid receives from a University = scholarship? NO, it simply is a very small part of the process and any kid who is recruited has Charmin boxes full of letters and mail that means absolutely nothing. Kids get invited to "Elite" camps all over the country and if they feel slighted because they got to the camp and see 100 other athletes and thought that they were the only ones going to be at the camp then they are living in a false world of hope and desire that will never amount to much.

When the coach shows up at their door step or gym on a regular basis and a scholarship is offered then you know the University or College is serious. Until there is an offer it's all hogwash and part of the process. Let the kids who feel slighted talk to all their buddies..it's not going to affect SDSU recruiting or their elite camp.
                                You can't spell it out better than this. Fantastic post.

Comment

Working...
                                X