No announcement yet.

2021 Fall Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a great get. Now let’s go get another QB and a linebacker and call it a day.

Kid looks pretty mobile in the pocket and like he can sling it downfield. Like someone said above, doesn’t have to be elite, just able to run the offense efficiently. There will be growing pains with either him or Heide as they progress into the starting role, but I like our chances for good QB play with both of them competing for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      Looks like a great get. Now let’s go get another QB and a linebacker and call it a day.

Kid looks pretty mobile in the pocket and like he can sling it downfield. Like someone said above, doesn’t have to be elite, just able to run the offense efficiently. There will be growing pains with either him or Heide as they progress into the starting role, but I like our chances for good QB play with both of them competing for the job.

I would like to see another CB also
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by EngJack View Post

Very exciting!
        looks like he had offers to Iowa State and Nebraska back in 2015.

https://247sports.com/Player/Chris-O...imelineEvents/

Ill be interested to learn about his journey to USF and Samford.
        Sounds like he had a coaching/mentoring history with Samford RB coach C.J. Bennett, and C.J.'s father Chip, and that Blake Barnett, a late grad transfer to USF, won the competition for starting QB in May 2018. His journey from alleged transfer to FAMU then to Jacks over the course of the past month might be more intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post

I would like to see another CB also
          Would be nice if Chris Oladoku’s brother Jordan followed him as well - he’s a 2021 recruit, originally committed to Iowa but flipped to Samford. 3-star recruit ranked 44th CB nationally.

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post

Would be nice if Chris Oladoku’s brother Jordan followed him as well - he’s a 2021 recruit, originally committed to Iowa but flipped to Samford. 3-star recruit ranked 44th CB nationally.
            Jacks could say he'll still get chance to play in Iowa City (just on 9/3/22)

Comment

Two days ago Hero Sports presented it's 'way too early' predictions of the top 10 FCS teams for the Fall...Jacks at #2 in Sam Herder's opinion.

​​​​​​https://herosports.com/fcs-football-...al-title-bzbz/

Here's Hero Sports (Sam Herder) report on SDSU's transfer QB:

​​​​​​https://herosports.com/fcs-football-...oladokun-bzbz/

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Two days ago Hero Sports presented it's 'way too early' predictions of the top 10 FCS teams for the Fall...Jacks at #2 in Sam Herder's opinion.

​​​​​​https://herosports.com/fcs-football-...al-title-bzbz/

Here's Hero Sports (Sam Herder) report on SDSU's transfer QB:

​​​​​​https://herosports.com/fcs-football-...oladokun-bzbz/
                The "way too early prediction" preceded even the Oladokun transfer news, so it'd be interesting to see how much separation Sam Herder thinks there would be between Sam Houston and the Jacks now.

I was unaware that Gibbs and the presumed Bison starter Patterson were opponents as Chicago-area high school students, so Gibbs' value to the team as a coach could be even greater

Comment

Tibbs, we are so often on the same line of thinking.

His floor is that he provides strong competition to Heide, Voss, and Rice. His ceiling is that he is Mark-like (or better) and takes us back to Frisco. That's a wide range but it is an added level of security of someone who has competed at a high level and has pretty good results. He was in a bad situation at Samford this year where he was simply passed up by a better player (who was a 2nd team AA this season). His 2019 tape and numbers show someone who is pretty good.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Tibbs, we are so often on the same line of thinking.

His floor is that he provides strong competition to Heide, Voss, and Rice. His ceiling is that he is Mark-like (or better) and takes us back to Frisco. That's a wide range but it is an added level of security of someone who has competed at a high level and has pretty good results. He was in a bad situation at Samford this year where he was simply passed up by a better player (who was a 2nd team AA this season). His 2019 tape and numbers show someone who is pretty good.
                    Well, you know what they say about great minds.

Yeah, I’m honestly glad we got a guy who has played a bunch a opposed to an FBS backup that didn’t see the field often, similar to Zeb Noland. I think they route is always a gamble and can pay off big (Streveler) or be a flop (Noland). We know Chris can compete and be productive in an FCS offense and has quite a bit of playing time under his belt. I’m certainly not ready to say he’s the starter, but he gives us a lot of depth and I would guess poise in the backfield, which we will need to make another run. With either him or Heide having a full off season to prep, and given our Okie State transfer WR, I could see our passing game taking a nice step forward his fall. And with as good as our run game is, that can only mean great things are ahead.

Comment

Yeah, I’m honestly glad we got a guy who has played a bunch a opposed to an FBS backup that didn’t see the field often, similar to Zeb Noland. I think they route is always a gamble and can pay off big (Streveler) or be a flop (Noland).
                      Not a huge difference between Noland and Oladokun in previous experience... 2017 Noland played in 4 and started 1 game for Iowa State. 2018 started 5 games for Iowa State and had fantastic game against a top Oklahoma team.

2018 Oladukin started 2 games at USF. 2019 started 8, played in 12 games, at Samford.

Comment

IMHO, with the best O-line in FCS, two of the better running backs in FCS, a solid receiving corp including good possession TEs, and a more than stout defense, a star level QB is not needed. A good competent QB that doesn't make mistakes, can chuck the ball downfield occasionally and is a marginal threat to run can make this team very, very successful.
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          IMHO, with the best O-line in FCS, two of the better running backs in FCS, a solid receiving corp including good possession TEs, and a more than stout defense, a star level QB is not needed. A good competent QB that doesn't make mistakes, can chuck the ball downfield occasionally and is a marginal threat to run can make this team very, very successful.
                          Id agree with all of that. The only thing I’ll add is that they need to have the trust of the team and leadership. Mark has that in spades.

I think getting back to frisco is going to depend on us getting a top 4 seed at a minimum, and really a top 2 seed. We saw what an advantage it was for us this year to have home field. Going on the road in the quarters and the semis is going to be a tough one to overcome.

Looking at our schedule, all of our toughest games are at home. NDSU, UNI, SIU, UND are in Brookings. Toughest road game is probably YSU, followed by USD. ISUb and WIU on the road don’t concern me.

Non conference against Dixie and Lindenwood should be a cakewalk, and I don’t think CSU will even be even our second toughest game.

Im not going to predict that we go undefeated, but at this point in time, I think we will be favored in every game on our schedule. Especially if we get solid QB play.

I know NDSU has their new QB coming in, but their problems were beyond just Noland and I don’t think Patterson will be the difference maker they all think he will. Their lines weren’t the best in the conference last year, and I think their offense will still struggle to throw the ball. The game is in Brookings, and I can’t think of another team on the schedule the jacks wouldn’t be favored over at this point in the off season.

If we want to go back to Frisco, we need to go 10-1 or 9-2 at a minimum, and even 9-2 might not be good enough for a top 2 seed, depending on the rest of the conferences.

Comment

In football, injuries and weird bounces of the prolate spheroid can make a season unpredictable. Still, for those of us that have followed SDSU football from the '70s, '80s & 90's the trajectory of the past 25 years has been steadily up. The expectation of a special season in the coming year(s) is quite high.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Here is something I put together just quickly going through the depth at each position. Kind of a fun exercise. https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...h-preview.html
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                Here is something I put together just quickly going through the depth at each position. Kind of a fun exercise. https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...h-preview.html
                                Awesome look. Thanks for all your hard work!

I didn’t see Meachum listed in the RB depth? Did I miss something? Or is he trying to transfer out?

Comment

Working...
                                X