Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Recruits

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    A point guard doesn't have to score a lot to be effective. Part of this team's problem is that they don't get the easy breakaway transition baskets that Maria and Jenn used to make a living on. Having a really quick guard that can move the ball might help get that part of our game back.
    And,occasionally,disrupt thier attempt at a quick inbounds pass to start a fast break of thier own, and if they're really good or the other team really careless,steal the ball down at thier end of the court for an easy two.
    If you have enough quick gaurds, you'd have to apply a pressure defense ,or you'd be susceptible to all kinds of mis-matches in a half court defense with two or three "short" players .You could get by with it for a limited time to try to get a bunch of steals and easy baskets to try and create separation between yourself and your opponent.Once or twice a game would disrupt thier offense.
    We never spring a pressure defense on anyone unless we're way behind & they're kind of expecting it.With all the multiple substitutions we make in a game, it would be really easy to catch a team "off gaurd" once in awhile.Alot of basketball is about "disruption" and taking the other team out of thier comfort zone,keeping them from doing what they do best.
    Turn around is fair play isn't it? Do we really know if other teams are susceptible to pressure defense if we never try it on them?I might be reaching here, but sometimes i wonder.Sorry (maybe we don't practice this aspect of the game, or recruit the right type players for doing this well enough,ours would probably just end up fouling or getting thier pressure beat time after time for easy lay ups.Its a gamble, sometimes it pays off , sometimes it doesn't .(except for ORU,it almost always pays off)I digress.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-16-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

If she was 3'5" and AJ recruited her, I'd still defer to him. Seems to know what he's doing.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
        If she was 3'5" and AJ recruited her, I'd still defer to him. Seems to know what he's doing.
        If she was 3'5",I'd call that being a little "short sighted" to not question the wisdom there......j/k

Comment

Who do we have verbals from so far to come next year? Usually we see posts about what players are doing in high school, either they are not having many games, or not playing very well.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
            They didn't give Shauna her two inches that most high schools and colleges give players, so I would say 5'5". Those defenders she was playing against were top notch Oregon players in the Nike/Laker Interstate tournament in Portland. Consider that she could get even better/quicker under AJ's strength and conditioning program.

Here are some recent "short" players off the top of my head:
            -Shannon Bobbitt, 5'2" starter for Tennessee in 2007 and 2008 (NCAA champions)
            -Tameka Johnson, 5'3" starter for LSU's 2004 and 2005 Final Four teams (starter for Phoenix Mercury, 2009 WNBA champions)
            -Cappie Pondexter, 5'6" starter for Rutgers (2007 WNBA Finals MVP, 2010 WNBA Third-Place for season MVP honors)
            -Loren Dixon, 5'4" part-time starter for UConn this and last year
            Have you ever seen a kid from the reservation or West River you didn't like?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              Have you ever seen a kid from the reservation or West River you didn't like?
              Well considering two of South Dakota's all-time greatest female basketball players (Hammon and Mahoney) are from West River, as well as one of the nation's leading scorers (Robinson of Nevada), nation's leading dime dishers (Goodrich of Kansas), a reigning conference player of the year (Plumley of Lamar), one of the nation's top freshman (Schimmel of Louisville) are from the reservation, I think they at least deserve looks.

Mahoney wasn't even discovered by Kansas State until her senior year when the coach from Mandan, N.D. tipped them off and Hammon had the top colleges scratching their heads after she won a national player of the year award as a senior at CSU. My point is that even today the West River of South Dakota and reservations nation wide have gone widely unnoticed. One big thing is that players don't really have the resources to play summer ball at NCAA sanctioned events. Most West River players can't afford to pay gas money to and from practices as well as the costs associated with being part of the teams (entry fees, etc.)

I don't think I'm hurting anyone or anything by throwing some names out there every once in a while: if anything my hope is that people will go out and watch those players like Biegler, Klapprodt, etc. when they go out East just to help promote the game of girls basketball. Also, the post in which you quoted me, I was merely pointing out that players who aren't that tall can be successful at the college and pro level, I said nothing of the reservation or West River. Last year Rapid City Stevens and Central finished second and third at the "AA" tournament and Newell (now Class "B") and Pine Ridge have finished in the top three at the "A" tournament the past few years, as well as Cheyenne-Eagle Butte winning games.

JackGuyII, judging on your three word responses on Shauna, I'm guessing you despise the thought of her being in SDSU uniform and it shows from the fact that you went back a page to dig up one of my quotes. As a SDSU fan, I'd love for nothing more than to see Shauna in a SDSU uniform next year, but I also know that SDSU has to decide what is best for them and at least they are giving her a look. There is at least one other NCAA tournament team from last year who is evaluating her and one school who's mens team made the final four in the past decade is very interested in her after evaluating her (I think they might make an offer soon!). In other words, I will live with it if SDSU passes on her because there are other options as well. As many have said before, it's all about the right fit. But please don't hate West River or reservation players because of me. Hate me if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                Well considering two of South Dakota's all-time greatest female basketball players (Hammon and Mahoney) are from West River, as well as one of the nation's leading scorers (Robinson of Nevada), nation's leading dime dishers (Goodrich of Kansas), a reigning conference player of the year (Plumley of Lamar), one of the nation's top freshman (Schimmel of Louisville) are from the reservation, I think they at least deserve looks.

Mahoney wasn't even discovered by Kansas State until her senior year when the coach from Mandan, N.D. tipped them off and Hammon had the top colleges scratching their heads after she won a national player of the year award as a senior at CSU. My point is that even today the West River of South Dakota and reservations nation wide have gone widely unnoticed. One big thing is that players don't really have the resources to play summer ball at NCAA sanctioned events. Most West River players can't afford to pay gas money to and from practices as well as the costs associated with being part of the teams (entry fees, etc.)
                I'd have to say that I give the AJ the benefit of getting the job done on the recruiting front given the HUGE amount of success that SDSU has had under his guidance. He has done a masterful job of pulling talent out of his home state of Minnesota. Does that mean that maybe a few "hidden gems" have gotten away? Absolutely!

Not knowing anything about the recruiting of these players. My assumption would be that AJ or one of the assistants would try and have relationships with coaches in these leagues that can point out possible recruits. The coaches can get video to on the players sent to the SDSU staff. Why haven't they come here? Ask the players or the coaches.

I do hear your point on not having the resources to play summer ball in places where they can be discovered by coaches and it has to be a factor. Its unfortunate but its also life. That is how the game is played. It tough to make a trip to White River to see one player when you can drive equal distances to other places and see several potential recuits in the same time. What's a coach to do? I know what I'd do.

I'm for any player that can make SDSU better! As I said in the men's thread on Wolters, I don't know much about basketball but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

KSFY just reported that Sioux Falls Washington Sr, and SDSU recruit, Rachel Walters, is one of 1,000 nominated to play in the McDonalds' All Star game.
                  Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

We have a "talented" basketball team right now. How about going after some girls who can play basketball and win?

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                      We have a "talented" basketball team right now. How about going after some girls who can play basketball and win?
                      Yeah, cause we've never had any of those kinds of players in the past 5-6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        There's no doubt we are having troubles this year, but if anybody thinks they can do a better job of recruiting people who have "talent" and are "winners", they should volunteer to provide their own excellent talents in evaluating the offers.

I'm just as frustrated as any other poster here, but if others think the team members are any less frustrated than the coaches and the fans, I believe they are wrong. We've lost four frustrating games at home in the conference, one to NDSU which was a bad loss (as it was for the more successful men's team), and the others to the top three teams in the league at this moment, including two in overtime. It is just as hard on the confidence of this team, as it is for the confidence of the fans. Fans can take out their frustrations on the fan board...the players and coaches can't vent as easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          There's no doubt we are having troubles this year, but if anybody thinks they can do a better job of recruiting people who have "talent" and are "winners", they should volunteer to provide their own excellent talents in evaluating the offers.

I'm just as frustrated as any other poster here, but if others think the team members are any less frustrated than the coaches and the fans, I believe they are wrong. We've lost four frustrating games at home in the conference, one to NDSU which was a bad loss (as it was for the more successful men's team), and the others to the top three teams in the league at this moment, including two in overtime. It is just as hard on the confidence of this team, as it is for the confidence of the fans. Fans can take out their frustrations on the fan board...the players and coaches can't vent as easily.
                          Well said Jacks#1Fan. Very well said.

To question the desire (as some posters have) is ridiculous. Confidence is needed more than any other factor for this to get going in the right direction.

Comment

Not questioning the talent or desire of any of the girls or the coaching and recruiting ability of the coaching staff. Something is wrong and it started last year and is continuing. How does a team practice and play and get worse or not correct a major problem over the course of two seasons, Turnovers and missed shots that used to go in.

Comment

Makes me wonder if not having Laurie Melum on the bench isn't a big factor.
                              Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I have also wondered how the loss of melum as asst coach has affected the team. It seems the problems with confidence and being tentative began last year after she left the coaching staff

Comment

Working...
                                X