2011 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Recruits

Just a disclaimer! If you don't like speculation then don't read it! There is an open scholarship for this class. We need a good guard. Chelsey Biegler from Rapid City Central has good height and her shooting release reminds me a lot of Wark's. She's 5'10" and has made it to the state tournament every year of her career. Three of her former teammates from the past two years are getting good minutes at NCAA Division II colleges and one is a role player at a NAIA college. Not bad company to be around! The Central coach has called Chelsey his best shooter on the team since her sophomore year. Does anyone think she is worth a look?

Comment

Got to see the first half of the Central vs. Washington game. When the coach took out Walters with two minutes left in the first half, the score was Walters 15, Central 14. There was under a minute left in the first quarter and the shot clock was off. The Central band section started counting down from 7 to 1 (and there was really about 10 seconds still on the clock). I don't know if Rachel got tricked by the band or meant to do it but she did a beautiful shot fake and hit a three over the next defender right at the same time the band screamed "1! (and made a horn sound)" She is a very good player and I thought she was a defensive standout as well.

Comment

Here's some highlites of Shauna Long,who is someone who's being looked at as a possible recruit according to TV's 1/13 live chat.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPWR5gy7gUo

Comment

Thanks for posting the link jackdaniel. Watched the whole thing and she definitely has game. Hard to tell on the video, but how tall is she?

Found the answer: 5'3" Here is a link to a team picture and roster.

http://www.ndhsaa.org/team?team_id=1132
          Last edited by JamesJacks; 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Here's some highlites of Shauna Long,who is someone who's being looked at as a possible recruit according to TV's 1/13 live chat.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPWR5gy7gUo
            Jill Young has a hard enough time getting her shots off. Can't imagine how a player at 5'3 will at the DI level.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              Jill Young has a hard enough time getting her shots off. Can't imagine how a player at 5'3 will at the DI level.
              Someone that size could help if they were super quick and can move the ball to help cut down on turnovers. I would be more concerned about teams taking advantage of someone that size on defense.

Comment

I would be surprised if she is only 5'3", but what I noticed in the tape is that there was one clip against a full court press (defense ceded the side line to her the length of the court) and one against a 3/4 ct press (with a nice pass over the top). She definitely can thread the needle around the basket though.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Top talent is pretty well identified and documented(hoop girls).Case in point, Taylor Greenfield, regional player ,6'3' ,plays the PG position,went to Stanford.The rich get richer.
                  Iowa got lucky this year and nabbed # 10 recruit in the country in Samantha Logic,5'11" G (from Wisc. same as Andrea V.)We dodged a bullet when ORU indicated early on about nabbing Moody from Texas,ranked # 100 hoop girls ,a gaurd along the lines of Luper and Bigham,she ended up at Iowa State I believe.
                  With three gaurds that can press, it would have been ugly.
                  Our best shot at a tall PG that can handle the ball extremely well would be a home grown player who wants to stay close to home.
                  Clarification: I think Nicole Moody was listed on thier fan forum as a recruit,but thier site is down and i can't double check that.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-16-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

The trouble with these videos is in HS the offense is less structured & more open to the PG keeping the dribble alive and creating opportunities to drive & score.College ball is much more difficult to do that ,because you've got your offense to run.I did get a kick out of when she dribbled around, couldn't find an opening , went back out on the perimeter ,something opened up & she went right back in for an easy lay-up.She might need a little Junior college ball first ,to make the transition .She'll be good for someone, Div one or two is the question.
                    Side note: After this year ,we lose one of our best three point shooters ,ever,Kristin, & Macy also,and the year after,another one in Jill.We've got Walters comming in, but it wouldn't hurt to have reliable three point shooters as replacements
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-16-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

They didn't give Shauna her two inches that most high schools and colleges give players, so I would say 5'5". Those defenders she was playing against were top notch Oregon players in the Nike/Laker Interstate tournament in Portland. Consider that she could get even better/quicker under AJ's strength and conditioning program.

Here are some recent "short" players off the top of my head:
                      -Shannon Bobbitt, 5'2" starter for Tennessee in 2007 and 2008 (NCAA champions)
                      -Tameka Johnson, 5'3" starter for LSU's 2004 and 2005 Final Four teams (starter for Phoenix Mercury, 2009 WNBA champions)
                      -Cappie Pondexter, 5'6" starter for Rutgers (2007 WNBA Finals MVP, 2010 WNBA Third-Place for season MVP honors)
                      -Loren Dixon, 5'4" part-time starter for UConn this and last year

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                        They didn't give Shauna her two inches that most high schools and colleges give players, so I would say 5'5". Those defenders she was playing against were top notch Oregon players in the Nike/Laker Interstate tournament in Portland. Consider that she could get even better/quicker under AJ's strength and conditioning program.

Here are some recent "short" players off the top of my head:
                        -Shannon Bobbitt, 5'2" starter for Tennessee in 2007 and 2008 (NCAA champions)
                        -Tameka Johnson, 5'3" starter for LSU's 2004 and 2005 Final Four teams (starter for Phoenix Mercury, 2009 WNBA champions)
                        -Cappie Pondexter, 5'6" starter for Rutgers (2007 WNBA Finals MVP, 2010 WNBA Third-Place for season MVP honors)
                        -Loren Dixon, 5'4" part-time starter for UConn this and last year
                        She must have definately experienced a "growth spurt" from the beginning of the video til the end of it....

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          I would be more concerned about teams taking advantage of someone that size on defense.
                          I would agree with bigticket1's comment. Her size could be an issue on the defensive end of the floor.

Getting her shot off at the D1 level isn't the question I would have for her or anyone else, it will be whether or not she can knock down her open looks.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                            I would agree with bigticket1's comment. Her size could be an issue on the defensive end of the floor.

Getting her shot off at the D1 level isn't the question I would have for her or anyone else, it will be whether or not she can knock down her open looks.
                            A point guard doesn't have to score a lot to be effective. Part of this team's problem is that they don't get the easy breakaway transition baskets that Maria and Jenn used to make a living on. Having a really quick guard that can move the ball might help get that part of our game back.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              A point guard doesn't have to score a lot to be effective. Part of this team's problem is that they don't get the easy breakaway transition baskets that Maria and Jenn used to make a living on. Having a really quick guard that can move the ball might help get that part of our game back.
                              Isn' that supposed to be what Boever is good at?

Comment

Isn' that supposed to be what Boever is good at?
                                If she comes back at 100 % she can help- with the knee issues she has had,you never know . Even so,it doesn't hurt to have a second option with the turnover problems they have had.

Comment

Working...
                                X