Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bracketology

Actually the NCAA is returning to the format that was used prior to 2004 for the womens tournament.

As for marketing a potential host site for Sioux Falls, that is what the Sioux Falls Sports Authority does.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      I don't think Sioux Falls is 'out of the question' for an NCAA men's first rounder. Rather I should say the Sioux Falls of the none too distant future.

The question, as with WBB, is proximity to various schools.

SF is arguably at the westernmost edge of acceptable in that area. It's an acceptable bus ride for the following schools:

Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Iowa, Minnesota, Drake, Northern Iowa, Creighton.

Also, if SF holds onto commercial non-stops from Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Detroit, and Atlanta, it's not (again) out of the question for other programs.

In short, while Des Moines/Iowa City/Ames is a better scenario than Sioux Falls, I'd hardly say that Sioux Falls is out of the running--provided facilities are improved.
      Could you provide us a philosophical logic deduction of why the Sioux Falls Arena is a candidate to host the first round of the Men's NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
        Could you provide us a philosophical logic deduction of why the Sioux Falls Arena is a candidate to host the first round of the Men's NCAA?

Yea, I'd like to hear that one.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
          Yea, I'd like to hear that one.
          I was building off a previous comment where I said that SF could host the women's first round--if they had a better facility.

The response to that was "women yes, men no way," therefore, the replacement of the Arena with a more suitable facility was, I thought, assumed.

Also, take a look at the facilities and locations for other NCAA first round games. The KC game ain't at the Kemper, and while the first round game in Minneapolis is at the Metrodome, don't you think the NCAA would prefer it at the Target Center--given that they're about as likely to sell out the Metrodome for a first round game as they are to sell out Yankee Stadium for a first round game.

http://www.ncaa.com/champ/m-baskbl-d1-champ.html

Note that first rounders are being held in Greensboro North Carolina, Spokane, Washington (next year), and Boise, Idaho.

I would not place a modern facility in Sioux Falls outside, say BOISE, when it comes to competition for a set of first round games.

Even with Spokane, you're doing no more than catering to Gonzaga, as you're heck and gone from any other basketball power.

Consider this, also: What if it came down to the Metrodome or a putative new Sioux Falls arena, with a crowd of 14,000 expected...... do you think that the NCAA would want that small a number of fans rattling around in the Metrodome?

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
            I think you missed the end of Zooropa's statement, in which he says "provided facilities are improved". I think he means, provided a newer much larger facility is built. The arena cannot be improved or enlarged enough to ever be considered for a men's tournament.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I don't think Sioux Falls is 'out of the question' for an NCAA men's first rounder. Rather I should say the Sioux Falls of the none too distant future.
              Sioux Falls by itself would not be out of the question for the 1st round of the Men's NCAA Basketball Tourney, however it will never happen until they get a new arena. The current one is way too small to meet the quota of people that a venue is required to hold in order to eligible. I know the Quest Center in Omaha had to add some seating in order to land the first round games they hosted last year, and the Quest Center could hold more than 15,000 before the expansion.

Here's just an fyi for all you sports fans that live in Sioux Falls; if there is ever a proposition for a new arena there, make sure the seating capacity for it meets the minimum number to host NCAA games, because if it doesn't you should not vote on it till it does. Go big or go home!
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                Sioux Falls by itself would not be out of the question for the 1st round of the Men's NCAA Basketball Tourney, however it will never happen until they get a new arena. The current one is way too small to meet the quota of people that a venue is required to hold in order to eligible. I know the Quest Center in Omaha had to add some seating in order to land the first round games they hosted last year, and the Quest Center could hold more than 15,000 before the expansion.

Here's just an fyi for all you sports fans that live in Sioux Falls; if there is ever a proposition for a new arena there, make sure the seating capacity for it meets the minimum number to host NCAA games, because if it doesn't you should not vote on it till it does. Go big or go home!
                mayor munson was just on KELO on sunday and he said would around 12-15000. They have a group looking at the subject but i dont think there will be a public vote until at least 2010. maybe much later.

Comment

Re: arena size

Might as well go for 15,000. Why?

1) I'm pretty sure the new facility ain't gonna be by the airport (FAA clearance restrictions and soggy/rocky ground). That means, if needs, be, the Arena can be kept and fixed up--if the Skyforce want to continue playing in a smaller venue.

2) The Skyforce & stampede games will look just as empty in a 12,000 seat stadium as a 15,000 seat stadium

3) 15,000+ enables SF to bid for marquee events.

This thing is going to lose money hand over fist anyway, so might as well make a splash with something that can host nation-wide events.

Comment

And, for crying out loud, put it downtown where there's enough attractions within walking distance so people don't feel obligated to drive away immediately after the game, and where the infrastructure routinely handles mass exodus/influx of people.

The last thing that's needed is the bizarro concept that putting it somewhere out in the sticks where it'll be served by one or two five lane roads will somehow 'ease' traffic concerns......

Comment

2) The Skyforce & stampede games will look just as empty in a 12,000 seat stadium as a 15,000 seat stadium
                      I agree with this train of thought, but there are defiantly ways to deal with this problem.

If they plan ahead, there is no reason for the place to look empty during smaller events unless it is, well, actually empty.

No need to expose the upper sections (as it will more than likely be a 2 deck arena with luxury booths separating the two levels) for any event that it is not needed. Think the Metrodome during regular season games, only instead of banners of Kirby Puckett and crew, maybe sell them to area business for advertising space to assist in the cost of construction/maintenance.

Even if the upper level is hardly used at first, last time I check Sioux Falls is still growing at an above average rate and doesn't look to be slowing down anytime soon [place comment about economy here], so in the long run it is better to build a 15,000+ capacity arena and not have to use all the space immediately than build a 10,000 seat one and have it not be able to meet the needs of the city 15 years down the road. They should try to build a 50+ year arena, not one that will only be viable for 20 years.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Who's for bringing back geography as a primary factor in postseason scheduling? Teams from the Pacific Northwest playing in the East and vice versa is bizarre. Regional identity and competition is underrated - and undervalued, and could create a continuity of competition from year to year, like teams from the Southeast vs. those from the Midwest, etc.

P.S. Is Charlie Creme a great name for a sports columnist or what?
                        Maybe THAT'S what Barry Bonds meant when he talked about putting on The Cream.. He was just joshing a sportswriter....
                        I alway's thought they put teams from the same conference in different regions, because some conferences have in some years 5,6, maybe more teams in the tournament.Made a NCAA regional look like another conference tournament.sorry , this is in reference to why you have east coast teams playing in the west regional, etc.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-24-2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

College RPI has their bracket out based on team RPI. There is a ton of other fun stuff if you are a numbers nerd like myself.

They have the Jacks as a #6 playing LSU @ LSU.

http://www.collegerpi.com/women/
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            Actually the NCAA is returning to the format that was used prior to 2004 for the womens tournament.

As for marketing a potential host site for Sioux Falls, that is what the Sioux Falls Sports Authority does.
                            Could you explain this in more detail? And provide a link that explains this in more detail. If I remember right, back in 2004 and before the first and 2nd round games were hosted by the top-seed's school. I would prefer that so Brookings/Sioux Falls could possibly host some games in the future. It would be WNIT nuts times 10!

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                              It's down to
                              Minneapolis--Metrodome
                              Sioux Falls--Arena
                              Kansas City--Kemper
                              Omaha--Quest
                              ST. Louis--EJ Dome

Sioux Falls has no shot to host the Men
                              Just throwing this out there, but KC has a new facility, Sprint Center. Its an amazing facility, so Kemper wouldn't be hosting anything. The city is trying like mad to sell that place (Kemper) I believe. For those Jacks fans that made the trip to UMKC, you probably saw the Sprint Center and then Municipal. Talk about a downer.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                                I agree with this train of thought, but there are defiantly ways to deal with this problem.
                                'defiant ways'..

I'm all for as big a facility as can be bonded because you can't do it over, and there's a pretty small difference in cost, over time, for those extra 3-4,000 seats.

But sheesh. SF will need to be pretty aggressive about marketing that facility. Seems everyone and their uncle has a 15,000 seat arena these days.... Four star attached hotel is a bare minimum requirement, as I'm pretty sure the Sheraton attached to the Arena really helped the SF bid for the Summit.

Oh, and f'r cryin' out loud, DON'T try and put a football field in the thing! If Krabenhoft wants an indoor football stadium that bad, let him cut a check for one out of his own bank account. Don't waste public funds on something that will be compromised for every other use due to that hopelessly silly 'must have'.

Comment

Working...
                                X