Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology

i have heard of teams taking fan charters to ncaa tournament games. like fly a plane filled with fans to the city where they play then bus them to the game and after the game go back to the plane and fly home right away. is that a possibility? idk where the money would come from tho, but it would be a good way to get fans to a game thats far away.

Comment

Having driven from Yankton to San Diego every year for 17 years it would take you a good full two days of driving if the weather is good. Done it every way possible. Dago to Denver to Yankton, Dago to Salt Lake to Yankton, Dago to Colorado Springs to Yankton. New Mex Colo Utah Wyo Neb you name it It's a long drive.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
        Having driven from Yankton to San Diego every year for 17 years it would take you a good full two days of driving if the weather is good. Done it every way possible. Dago to Denver to Yankton, Dago to Salt Lake to Yankton, Dago to Colorado Springs to Yankton. New Mex Colo Utah Wyo Neb you name it It's a long drive.
        I made that trip but it was from Brookings, we left Brookings at like noon on Saturday and got into San Diego at like 8 pm on Sunday after driving through the night

Comment

My suggestion for travel planning would be

1) Stay flexible, and block out that weekend right now if you want to go, set a budget you won't go over for the trip, and

2) Keep the web link to the Southwest Airlines web site really handy for quick use immediately after the Selection Show.

3) It won't be certain where the Jacks will be playing (assuming they make it, knock on wood) until the Selection Show releases the brackets, so stay flexible!

Southwest flies from either Omaha or MSP (or KC, for that matter) to four of the Los Angeles area airports (LAX, ONT (Ontario), BUR (Burbank), SNA (Orange Co.)).

I just checked Omaha to LAX, for instance and the cheapest SW flight for the first/second round is right at $375 round-trip. Cheap seats tend to get bought up, so no guarantees the actual flight cost will be any less than that, but with Southwest you never really know. Sometimes they actually reduce prices for some flights as the flight date approaches.

You might also get a deal with Sun Country out of MSP, or who knows, Northwest might actually offer a cheap seat or two.

ESPN will broadcast the Selection Monday show at 6 pm CT Monday, Mar. 16. Be ready to book ASAP after the pairings are announced!

Stay flexible!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh, yeah, one more thing: For first/second round games, getting tickets will typically not be a problem unless you're sent to wherever Connecticut, Tennessee, or a couple other of the really humongous name programs will be playing, too.

Best bet would be to get the tickets through the SDSU Ticket Office, though.

As far as where to stay? You're on your own!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I had seen that Allegiant Air will be adding flights to LA in the future but didn't catch the dates when that starts.

You could also fly to Vegas stay a night and drive to LA. Three hours I think. Now that sounds like a fun trip!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                I had seen that Allegiant Air will be adding flights to LA in the future but didn't catch the dates when that starts.

You could also fly to Vegas stay a night and drive to LA. Three hours I think. Now that sounds like a fun trip!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                May 20 is when Allegiant start the flights to LA

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  Oh, yeah, one more thing: For first/second round games, getting tickets will typically not be a problem unless you're sent to wherever Connecticut, Tennessee, or a couple other of the really humongous name programs will be playing, too.

Best bet would be to get the tickets through the SDSU Ticket Office, though.

As far as where to stay? You're on your own!
                  NCAA womes sports is a little different than mens in the sense that the committee will work hard and diligently to keep travel for all respective teams at a minimum. The ones that travel the furthest are the top seeds if one region of the country has more top seeds than others. Example, if 3 California teams were the top 3 seeds, only one would stay, and the other two would hit the road.

I haven't looked at where the sites are, but you can almost bet you will go to the one closest to South Dakota. I would venture a bet that you would be in the same region as Iowa State for example. There of course will be exceptions to the rule, but that is how the NCAA womes committee is looking at it. Volleyball works the same way.

Good luck as you wind down the regular season.

Comment

Fly into LA a lot. Long Beach and Ontario often offer better deals than into LAX, and they're a heck of a lot less hassle. Think JetBlue flies into one or both.

Comment

Drive to LA area from Vegas is closer to 3.5 hours with no traffic from Ontario in to LA. Otherwise it 4.5 - 5 hours. Done it a few times.

San Deigo is a good option for flying in. Often cheaper than Long Beach and most of the time than Ontario.

Have fun!
                      Is is always a good day to ride.

Comment

On the ESPN board, they note that Creme failed to include Vanderbilt in his bracket.

Ain't this fun?
                        I believe that FL Gulf Coast isn't eligible. Weren't they the D-II champs in 06? If so, not eligible until '11.
                        Last edited by rabidrabbit; 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WIJack View Post
                          Drive to LA area from Vegas is closer to 3.5 hours with no traffic from Ontario in to LA. Otherwise it 4.5 - 5 hours. Done it a few times.

San Deigo is a good option for flying in. Often cheaper than Long Beach and most of the time than Ontario.

Have fun!

Except for Sundays when everyone is driving back to LA area then its a bitc. Never saw it uncrowded that day.

Comment

My suggestion for travel planning would be

1) Stay flexible, and block out that weekend right now if you want to go, set a budget you won't go over for the trip, and

2) Keep the web link to the Southwest Airlines web site really handy for quick use immediately after the Selection Show.

3) It won't be certain where the Jacks will be playing (assuming they make it, knock on wood) until the Selection Show releases the brackets, so stay flexible!

Southwest flies from either Omaha or MSP (or KC, for that matter) to four of the Los Angeles area airports (LAX, ONT (Ontario), BUR (Burbank), SNA (Orange Co.)).

I just checked Omaha to LAX, for instance and the cheapest SW flight for the first/second round is right at $375 round-trip. Cheap seats tend to get bought up, so no guarantees the actual flight cost will be any less than that, but with Southwest you never really know. Sometimes they actually reduce prices for some flights as the flight date approaches.

You might also get a deal with Sun Country out of MSP, or who knows, Northwest might actually offer a cheap seat or two.

ESPN will broadcast the Selection Monday show at 6 pm CT Monday, Mar. 16. Be ready to book ASAP after the pairings are announced!

Stay flexible!
                            If any students are on here and considering flying out there, that is if we are playing in LA, (I doubt that many students can afford it but you never know) I recommend checking www.studentuniverse.com to check flights for this as well. You need a student email to register. It works pretty well. When flying by myself I always use it. Just a heads up.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

On the ESPN board, they note that Creme failed to include Vanderbilt in his bracket.

Ain't this fun?

He updated it to add Vanderbilt, so now he has:

Los Angeles (March 21)
                              (6) SOUTH DAKOTA ST./SUMMIT (23-2)
                              (11) GONZAGA/WCC (18-5)

He put Vandy in as a 7, so that moved Wake down to a 12. Also changed the A-SUN from FGCU to East Tenn St. "ETSU has lost two of three, but still holds onto the Atlantic Sun's automatic bid with Florida Gulf Coast ineligible."
                              Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
                                He updated it to add Vanderbilt, so now he has:

Los Angeles (March 21)
                                (6) SOUTH DAKOTA ST./SUMMIT (23-2)
                                (11) GONZAGA/WCC (18-5)

He put Vandy in as a 7, so that moved Wake down to a 12. Also changed the A-SUN from FGCU to East Tenn St. "ETSU has lost two of three, but still holds onto the Atlantic Sun's automatic bid with Florida Gulf Coast ineligible."
                                I don't think we would play Gonzaga again (since we played them already during the season), especially in the 1st round. The selection committee usually doesn't do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X