Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology

Originally posted by jackrabbit_fan View Post
    say we don't get seeded in Iowa City, what would be the next closest location or site?
    South Bend IN then East Lansing MI

Comment

What I do not like about this is that we are the higher seed and we would have to play on the lower seeds home court.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
        What I do not like about this is that we are the higher seed and we would have to play on the lower seeds home court.
        Welcome to NCAA women's basketball today.

The only solution is for SDSU to put in a bid to host a 1st/2nd round.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

even if we are in iowa, we could end up playing them on their home court. we pretty much might have to play a game on someone elses homecourt weather it be michigan state in east lansing, texas tech in lubbock, or whatever.

Comment

All the girls can do is continue winning games in dominant fashion. Us being the new team in the tournament, we will most likely get the short end of the stick anyways due to us being new to the tournament and the relative weakness of the Summit League. We just have to keep fighting for a higher seed to face of against a "weaker" opponent in their own house.

Comment

SDSU can't bid to host a Women's tournament game, as I don't think the facilities are sufficient.

However, I think Sioux Falls could put in a bid, provided there was a better venue than the Arena.

The problem there, though, is proximity to other likely tournament teams.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                There are quite a few of those situations in this bracket. In part because of the number of middle level seeds that just happen to be hosting this year in the first two rounds. By the time all the conference tournaments get done, there may not be as many of these situations.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  SDSU can't bid to host a Women's tournament game, as I don't think the facilities are sufficient.

However, I think Sioux Falls could put in a bid, provided there was a better venue than the Arena.

The problem there, though, is proximity to other likely tournament teams.
                  I think you'd be surprised at how small some previous women's first/second round venues have been in the past.

The NCAA is trying very hard to raise the hitherto dreadful attendance at most women's 1st/2nd round games. At this point they'd rather put 2,000 into a 6,500 seat venue than they would 1,500 fans in a 15,000 seat arena. That's why they've gone to sixteen four-team sites instead of the eight eight-team 1st/2nd round sites on the men's side. They're trying to get the games closer to the fans who will turn out for women's basketball. If attendance at SDSU games continues to grow, we could very well start looking like one of those parts of the country where people will come to see high quality women's basketball.

It would probably be a long shot for SDSU to put in a bid to host but I don't think it would necessarily be rejected out of hand.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    I would recommend reading Charlie Creme's article on ESPN about the NCAA "school" for columnists on how the bracket is put together. They got all the tools and gadgets the selection committee has, and they are also given the same mandates and rules to follow. The columnists then try to put together the field and NCAA staff are there to point out when they are messing up the rules. I haven't read it for a while, but if I recall, geography is one of the very last considerations and often is completely overruled. One big exception to geography rule is that you can't play on your "home" court in the sweet sixteen weekend.

I haven't read the other article yet, so can't comment on that.

Who's for bringing back geography as a primary factor in postseason scheduling? Teams from the Pacific Northwest playing in the East and vice versa is bizarre. Regional identity and competition is underrated - and undervalued, and could create a continuity of competition from year to year, like teams from the Southeast vs. those from the Midwest, etc.

P.S. Is Charlie Creme a great name for a sports columnist or what?
                    Maybe THAT'S what Barry Bonds meant when he talked about putting on The Cream.. He was just joshing a sportswriter....

Comment

• Re: Bracketology

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      P.S. Is Charlie Creme a great name for a sports columnist or what?
                      Maybe THAT'S what Barry Bonds meant when he talked about putting on The Cream.. He was just joshing a sportswriter....
                      I know this may be thread drift but I loved this line. Rep pts given. I never had thought of that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        I think you'd be surprised at how small some previous women's first/second round venues have been in the past.

The NCAA is trying very hard to raise the hitherto dreadful attendance at most women's 1st/2nd round games. At this point they'd rather put 2,000 into a 6,500 seat venue than they would 1,500 fans in a 15,000 seat arena. That's why they've gone to sixteen four-team sites instead of the eight eight-team 1st/2nd round sites on the men's side. They're trying to get the games closer to the fans who will turn out for women's basketball. If attendance at SDSU games continues to grow, we could very well start looking like one of those parts of the country where people will come to see high quality women's basketball.

It would probably be a long shot for SDSU to put in a bid to host but I don't think it would necessarily be rejected out of hand.
                        if sioux falls builds the event center then it would give us a better chance of hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

The NCAA actually followed volleyballs lead in doing the 16 location, 4 team per location. And you are right, it was done for two reasons. One is more local following and the second reason was travel costs to the NCAA. As you probably know, the NCAA pays for all teams that travel, and that is why I said in a posting a couple of weeks back, that your best bet in a region is the one closest or second closest to Brookings.

Regarding Sioux Falls, that would not be out of the question for womens. For mens yes, but not for womens. They look at a few things. Motel rooms is one. Local corporate sponsorship partnering with the NCAA a second. And attendance the third. If the NCAA thought that SDSU would sell out an arena, with strong ticket sales, believe me, they would. I think you need at some point to put together a marketing arm that petitions to the NCAA a venue like Sioux Falls. My guess is the selection committee doesn't have a clue where it is, or the pertinence of hosting it there.

YFE

Comment

I don't think Sioux Falls is 'out of the question' for an NCAA men's first rounder. Rather I should say the Sioux Falls of the none too distant future.

The question, as with WBB, is proximity to various schools.

SF is arguably at the westernmost edge of acceptable in that area. It's an acceptable bus ride for the following schools:

Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Iowa, Minnesota, Drake, Northern Iowa, Creighton.

Also, if SF holds onto commercial non-stops from Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Detroit, and Atlanta, it's not (again) out of the question for other programs.

In short, while Des Moines/Iowa City/Ames is a better scenario than Sioux Falls, I'd hardly say that Sioux Falls is out of the running--provided facilities are improved.

Comment

I don't think Sioux Falls is 'out of the question' for an NCAA men's first rounder. Rather I should say the Sioux Falls of the none too distant future.

SF is arguably at the westernmost edge of acceptable in that area. It's an acceptable bus ride for the following schools:

Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Iowa, Minnesota, Drake, Northern Iowa, Creighton.

Also, if SF holds onto commercial non-stops from Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Detroit, and Atlanta, it's not (again) out of the question for other programs.

In short, while Des Moines/Iowa City/Ames is a better scenario than Sioux Falls, I'd hardly say that Sioux Falls is out of the running--provided facilities are improved.
                              I swear I am not following you around Zooropa to get into debates ... but do you really think the NCAA would consider Sioux Falls for a first round game? The NCAA has first rounders in the Metrodome for the seating capacity. The Arena seats what - 6k at most? I just don't see it.

Comment

It's down to
                                Minneapolis--Metrodome
                                Sioux Falls--Arena
                                Kansas City--Kemper
                                Omaha--Quest
                                ST. Louis--EJ Dome

Sioux Falls has no shot to host the Men

Comment

Working...
                                X