Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology

He must be going crazy about now. If you read his column he just had on the practice session on selecting the field that the NCAA held for journalists, he probably is quoting Homer Simpson qutie a bit.

D'OH!!!

or maybe MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Beer.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

He has Utah as a 7th seed in Iowa City. Id trade with Utah and let them play in LA as a 6 seed and we get the 7th seed in Iowa City. Of course right now that would mean playing Iowa. Iowa is one of the last 4 in. Maybe if they lose a lot down the stretch, they wont make it and they would put SDSU there to draw a good crowd.

Comment

More of Creme's cravings here: I swear the man checks out the SDSUfans board!

Middle Tennessee vs. South Dakota State: The men have their BracketBusters, and Davidson plays Butler this season in what many might call the unofficial mid-major championship. The Blue Raiders and Jackrabbits would be the women's equivalent. Removing Xavier from the conversation, they have been unquestionably the two best teams from non-BCS leagues all season. Both are riding long winning streaks (SDSU has won nine in a row, MTSU 16 straight), both are in the top-30 of the RPI and both challenged themselves in the nonconference part of the season. The key matchup here would be whether the Jackrabbits, who win with offensive balance and a stingy defense, could slow down the Blue Raiders, who rank 14th in the country in scoring and are led by the nation's top individual scorer, Alysha Clark, who is coming off a 50-point performance. (more)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...ame=ncwexperts

Comment

Did anyone else hear on ESPN that NCAA selection committee weas looking at keeping teams more regional in the early rounds in response to the economy; making it more likely that fans could travel cheaper? I believe it was during the Mens Bracket discussion, but seems to easily transfer to the WBB NCAA bracket as well. I hope so anyway. Seems SDSU just belongs in IA City this year. GO JACKS!

Comment

Another great article talking about Rabbits and Musketeers.

http://www.tuftsdaily.com/1.1483811-1.1483811

Venturing far away from Xavier's dwelling on the East Coast finds another mid-major with an overall game far more dangerous than its mascot. The South Dakota State Jackrabbits, owners of the 38th best offense and the 25th best defense in the country, are in the middle of an 11-game winning streak. They have sprinted to a 25-2 record and are just one of four teams in the country with fewer than three losses. (more above in link)

Comment

Matchups I'd like o see
              Tuesday, February 17, 2009 | Print Entry

Posted by Charlie Creme
              As we approach the selection of the NCAA tournament field every season, the debate rages about what makes one team better than another. Is it a tougher schedule, more Top 25 wins, better overall record? Sometimes, however, the numbers are pushed aside and this question needs to be asked: If Team A and Team B met on a neutral floor, who would win?
              That's highly subjective, of course, but it can lend some perspective. And what if some of those games were actually played?
              None of these games are on the schedule. Some could take place in the tournament, though. And some have nothing at all to do with tournament comparisons. The matchups just might be fun or interesting.
              Here are the games I'd like to see:
              Middle Tennessee vs. South Dakota State: The men have their BracketBusters, and Davidson plays Butler this season in what many might call the unofficial mid-major championship. The Blue Raiders and Jackrabbits would be the women's equivalent. Removing Xavier from the conversation, they have been unquestionably the two best teams from non-BCS leagues all season. Both are riding long winning streaks (SDSU has won nine in a row, MTSU 16 straight), both are in the top-30 of the RPI and both challenged themselves in the nonconference part of the season. The key matchup here would be whether the Jackrabbits, who win with offensive balance and a stingy defense, could slow down the Blue Raiders, who rank 14th in the country in scoring and are led by the nation's top individual scorer, Alysha Clark, who is coming off a 50-point performance.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoJack View Post
                Did anyone else hear on ESPN that NCAA selection committee weas looking at keeping teams more regional in the early rounds in response to the economy; making it more likely that fans could travel cheaper? I believe it was during the Mens Bracket discussion, but seems to easily transfer to the WBB NCAA bracket as well. I hope so anyway. Seems SDSU just belongs in IA City this year. GO JACKS!
                My understanding is 1st two rounds close to home,after that ,you go to your region for play.Here's a link i found informative http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...h-madness6.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                  My understanding is 1st two rounds close to home,after that ,you go to your region for play.Here's a link i found informative http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...h-madness6.htm
                  Been nice if they could have done this for the bracketbuster games. The men play a meaningless game and have to travel to the west coast to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Nice find JD! I found it informative as well...and it clearly says that geography works for the first/second round games. Rep points for you!

Comment

I would recommend reading Charlie Creme's article on ESPN about the NCAA "school" for columnists on how the bracket is put together. They got all the tools and gadgets the selection committee has, and they are also given the same mandates and rules to follow. The columnists then try to put together the field and NCAA staff are there to point out when they are messing up the rules. I haven't read it for a while, but if I recall, geography is one of the very last considerations and often is completely overruled. One big exception to geography rule is that you can't play on your "home" court in the sweet sixteen weekend.

I haven't read the other article yet, so can't comment on that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        I would recommend reading Charlie Creme's article on ESPN about the NCAA "school" for columnists on how the bracket is put together. They got all the tools and gadgets the selection committee has, and they are also given the same mandates and rules to follow. The columnists then try to put together the field and NCAA staff are there to point out when they are messing up the rules. I haven't read it for a while, but if I recall, geography is one of the very last considerations and often is completely overruled. One big exception to geography rule is that you can't play on your "home" court in the sweet sixteen weekend.

I haven't read the other article yet, so can't comment on that.
                        You're probably right, and my bad because I read the other thread to hastily. It says the "top four seeds in each region" are assigned with geography in mind...not all of the 16 teams in each region.

Comment

Charlie Creme's latest bracketology has us a 6 seed in Lubbock playing Texas Tech. Duke the #3 seed against UTEP/C-USA winner.

Comment

BTW, the other 6 seeds: Virginia, Iowa State and Tennesse.

Comment

texas tech is also listed as one of the last 4 teams in. they are 15-11 but play in the brutal big 12 south.

Comment

say we don't get seeded in Iowa City, what would be the next closest location or site?

Comment

Working...
                                X