Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bracketology

a bottom 7 too, considering the bracket... Rutgers, Duke, Baylor, Connecticut, Tennessee, xavier

Comment

A 7th seed would, at best, mean the committee views us as the 25th best team in the nation. Being the way this week panned out with the other top 25 teams, we should be inside the top 20 in the AP and 15 or better in the Coaches. Hopefully the selection committee keeps this in mind and realizes we have still have an RPI in the top 30, so those rankings are not unwarranted.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        A 7th seed would, at best, mean the committee views us as the 25th best team in the nation. Being the way this week panned out with the other top 25 teams, we should be inside the top 20 in the AP and 15 or better in the Coaches. Hopefully the selection committee keeps this in mind and realizes we have still have an RPI in the top 30, so those rankings are not unwarranted.
        we are #17 in the AP this week

Comment

Our strength of schedule is a liability. If they take care of business tonight and in Sioux Falls we should gain overall.

What happens in conference tournaments around the country could have a pretty big impact on the seeds. Some teams will move up but I'm inclined that there will be more teams with a downward.

Bottom line is that after we win out our position can only improve no matter what the strength of our schedule.

Any other thoughts on this?

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            Our strength of schedule is a liability. If they take care of business tonight and in Sioux Falls we should gain overall.

What happens in conference tournaments around the country could have a pretty big impact on the seeds. Some teams will move up but I'm inclined that there will be more teams with a downward.

Bottom line is that after we win out our position can only improve no matter what the strength of our schedule.

Any other thoughts on this?

SUPERBUNNY
            I'd agree with that assessment. Maryland winning the ACC tourney would be really nice for us as well.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

If they stay focused, Jacks should be 31-2 on selection day. How many 31-win teams in the history of women's basketball have gotten a seventh seed? Good bet would be none, wouldn't it? That would set an anti-mid major precedent that I bet the selection committee would just as soon avoid.
              Two points
              1. The strength of the non-Summit schedule might actually matter more than the weakness of the overall schedule. This is not the NDSU men. The selection committee will know how well Jacks ran through a pre-Summitt BCS course. They should know the Jacks lost only to the team that yesterday won the ACC, is third overall in RPP, and is being mentioned anew in a national championship context. A team that the Jacks led in the second half, BTW.
              2. Jacks are not a sneak-up-on-you 27-2. Major national media have paid attention. Granted, Summitt SOS has hurt, but as pointed out in another thread, Jacks have been absolutely dominant for six weeks, which is precisely what you'd want. No playing down to competiton for the most part. The media attention has come as they've piled up Summit wins.

Add up 1 and 2, and you get a 5. Anyone say a 4 seed would be pie in the sky?

Think big.

P.S. What's the bracketology on men after they sweep in Sioux Falls? A 16, any 16, thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post

P.S. What's the bracketology on men after they sweep in Sioux Falls? A 16, any 16, thank you very much.
                Wouldn't a play in game be an amazing thing? I know its a long shot but those guys are tough at home and there isn't any pressure on us in the tournament. You never know, you only have a good idea!

Two teams, two conference tournament wins. That's what I'm cheering for!

Let's do this!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Creme has Jacks back to a #7 seed.....

Playing Rutgers at Rutgers E. Piscataway, NJ.....

Win that, then face DUKE!

Rankings seem to not getting ANY play, only the sinking RPI due to poor Summit League opponents.

Comment

The following in Creme's article about conference tourneys:

Summit

This tournament will be analyzed more from the outside than the inside. Conference commissioners from the Mountain West, Big Ten, Atlantic 10 and perhaps even the SEC will have one eye on Sioux Falls, S.D. If South Dakota State wins, no harm, no foul. However, if the Jackrabbits stumble, like they haven't since the first week of January, a bunch of teams on the bubble will start sweating. SDSU is in, but if, say, Oakland walks off with the tournament trophy, a San Diego State, Indiana, Temple or Mississippi State, for instance, won't be dancing. South Dakota State probably has never had as many fans as it will later this week.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Did anyone think when they went D1 that at this point in time the Jackrabbits would have this much publicity, be this high in the major polls, let alone be on them at all, and be mentioned in the same articles on major sports programs with Maryland, Tenn, Xavier, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        Did anyone think when they went D1 that at this point in time the Jackrabbits would have this much publicity, be this high in the major polls, let alone be on them at all, and be mentioned in the same articles on major sports programs with Maryland, Tenn, Xavier, etc.?
                        Nope.

Comment

It would be unthinkable for this point for SDSU to not be included in the tournament. SDSU's RPI will be in the high 30's regardless of the results of the SL tournament.

I think if they win the SL tournament, they might be a 5 seed.

If they get upset, they might be a 6 or 7 seed. I'm not altogether sure if losing in the SL championship might be better for NCAA seeding purposes (might be an easier route to the Sweet 16).

I still want the ladies to win out of course, but . . .

And, I'll note once more that the Summit League generally needs to drastically upgrade their women's basketball programs for the sake of the league. Oakland's doing OK. NDSU will be there. ORU seems to be consistently competitive. Western Illinois has a bit of a tradition. The others need to step up.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

And yeah, it does boggle the mind to be talking about a South Dakota State University basketball team with a legitimate shot to make the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.

I hope folks beyond this board understand what an amazing thing the Jackrabbit women are doing this year. Lots of D-I schools have NEVER been ranked in women's basketball.

Enjoy this ride, people. You don't know when it will happen again.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              And yeah, it does boggle the mind to be talking about a South Dakota State University basketball team with a legitimate shot to make the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.

I hope folks beyond this board understand what an amazing thing the Jackrabbit women are doing this year. Lots of D-I schools have NEVER been ranked in women's basketball.

Enjoy this ride, people. You don't know when it will happen again.
                              So, clear your work Schedule the weekend of March 21st. I plan to be on my way somewhere, either by plane or car/bus.

Regionals

Once again, the system is the same as the Men's Division I Basketball Tournament, with the exception that only 64 teams go and there is no play-in game. Automatic bids are secured by 31 conference champions and 33 at-large bids. The regionals, held in the city rather than the geographic area as a practice that has been used since 2005, will be held from March 28 to 31 at these sites:

Trenton Regional: Sovereign Bank Arena, Trenton, New Jersey (Hosts: Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference and Rider University).
                              Raleigh Regional: RBC Center, Raleigh, North Carolina (Host: North Carolina State University).
                              Oklahoma City Regional: Ford Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (Host: Big 12 Conference).
                              Berkeley Regional: Haas Pavilion, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California (Hosts: University of California and Pac-10 Conference).

The subregionals, which will use the "pod system", keeping most teams either at or close to the home cities, will be held from March 21 to 24. For 2009 the number of subregional sites was expanded from eight to these sixteen:

The Pit, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
                              Pete Maravich Assembly Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
                              Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio (Host: The Ohio State University)
                              Comcast Center, University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, Maryland
                              Arena at Gwinnett Center, Duluth, Georgia (Host: University of Georgia)
                              United Spirit Arena, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
                              Galen Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
                              Louis Brown Athletic Center, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey
                              E. A. Diddle Arena, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, Kentucky
                              Jack Breslin Student Events Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
                              Carver-Hawkeye Arena, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
                              Edmund P. Joyce Center, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana
                              Bank of America Arena at Hec Edmundson Pavilion, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
                              Cox Arena, San Diego State University, San Diego, California
                              Harry A. Gampel Pavilion, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut
                              McKenzie Arena, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chattanooga, Tennessee
                              NOTE: Unless otherwise specified, the sites are on-campus sites.

The regional winners will advance to the Final Four, to be held April 5 and 7, 2009 at the Scottrade Center, in St. Louis, Missouri, hosted by the Missouri Valley Conference.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

I think if they win the SL tournament, they might be a 5 seed.

If they get upset, they might be a 6 or 7 seed. I'm not altogether sure if losing in the SL championship might be better for NCAA seeding purposes (might be an easier route to the Sweet 16).

I still want the ladies to win out of course, but . . .
                                A 5 seed guarantees we don't play anybody higher than a 4 to get to the sweet 16, and usually 5 and 4 seeds are pretty interchangeable.

A 6 or 7 seed would mean we would most likely run into a 2 or a 3 on the way to the round of 16.

However, if we were lucky enough to make the Sweet Sixteen as a five seed it would almost guarantee us a game with one of the 1 seeds. IMO, the projected 1 seeds are clearly a step above the rest of the field.

But first things first, let's get three more wins in Sioux Falls.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X