Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bracketology

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    You don't know when it will happen again.
    Next year?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      Next year?
      No guarantees.

Enjoy it this year. You don't know when it will happen again.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        No guarantees.
        Nope. But where's the let down? NDSU is setting themselves up to be like an out of balance tire for the next few years, and Oakland is graduating a bunch of players. SDSU should easily win the Summit again next year, and seeings how they're only graduating one starter.......

I mean, I'd hate for any of the players or staff to have such sangfroid--but c'mon! This ain't a top 10 team, but it ain't riding one or two players into the top 20 either.
        Last edited by zooropa; 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

SDSU, in regards to the "projected" brackets, have the same uphill climb that they did in the beginning of the season with the AP polls. The "experts" are always going to be cautious when it comes to an unproven commodity. After the Jacks proved themselves during the regular season, they gained the respect of the polls and we have seen the direction that has follow after that.

In regards to the NCAA tourney, the Jacks haven't had the opportunity to prove themselves in that arena. Granted they played well in the NIT two years ago, and last year fell victim to a hot shooting team, but that doesn't always correlate into the big dance.

IMO, I think that they may be seeded lower this year than they deserve but it gives them the opportunity to prove that they belong. If they happen to end up as a higher seed playing at a Rutgers/Tx Tech then it is their audition for next year's seed.

This year is the first as a full fledged DI program and this is where the building blocks of national respect are laid. The transition years got us into the conversation and the next few years will be the ones in which we become the topic.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

We lose a lot of leadership & poise from the graduating class, but, i'm sure this years juniors will be up to the task of guiding the team next year,also, we had an excellent recruiting year, so , I'm very optomistic that we can keep the momentem going of building this basketball program into something special for all the people in this area to be proud of.
            First though , let's scare the ...(fill in the blank) out of the NCAA tournament field How embarrassing would it be to get beat by a rabbit.
            That's why we have to play twice as hard to beat big schools, they fight a lot harder than they normaly would to say,a Duke, or UConn.
            When we get more name recognition , & acceptance for being a really good basketball program, a loss to us wouldn't be such a hard pill to swallow.
            On the fun side, nobody will want to play us , for the afore- mentioned reasons.
            On seeding,I just want to get a #5 or higher so we have a very good chance to reach the sweet 16, after that, everything else is frosting added to the cake.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              We lose a lot of leadership & poise from the graduating class, but, i'm sure this years juniors will be up to the task of guiding the team next year,also, we had an excellent recruiting year, so , I'm very optomistic that we can keep the momentem going of building this basketball program into something special for all the people in this area to be proud of.
              First though , let's scare the ...(fill in the blank) out of the NCAA tournament field
              I think Boever will step up into Jenn's role--and next year's 'story' will be Maria & Abby. What I want Ketty to get out of these tournaments is confidence---as AJ's said, and as we all know--she's a great basketball player, period. We just need her to play that way without overthinking things.

I think positive experiences in these tournaments will set her up for a pretty solid senior year. In that sense, I'd almost say that Ketty is playing for the WBB team but is in the same place mentally as the MBB team.

BTW: I'm not intending this to be a 'what's wrong with Ketty' kind of a post--as I don't think there is, fundamentally, anything 'wrong' with her.

---

As far as seeding goes: I voted 5 on the poll, and I think SDSU deserves a 5 or 6 seed, based on a balance between their RPI and poll standing. And, IMO, SDSU deserves some positive consideration regarding SOS. It may have been months ago, but SDSU did all that was possible within its purview regarding SOS---both in scheduling and in winning. The fact that the conference season comes last, IMO, should not be given too much weight, even though it must be given some weight.

Comment

If Ketty's senior year of college is anything like her senior year of high school was she will be amazing to watch. She was always a stud... her senior year it was like she was on a mission... and stepped up a level. I could see her doing that again.

I think it will be Maria, Jill and Ketty next year.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                  I think it will be Maria, Jill and Ketty next year.
                  And Kristen.

Comment

Nope. But where's the let down? NDSU is setting themselves up to be like an out of balance tire for the next few years, and Oakland is graduating a bunch of players. SDSU should easily win the Summit again next year, and seeings how they're only graduating one starter.......

I mean, I'd hate for any of the players or staff to have such sangfroid--but c'mon! This ain't a top 10 team, but it ain't riding one or two players into the top 20 either.
                    injuries - we've had players out for a number of games, but no season ending injuries.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

And Kristen.
                      I think Sunnarborg in an expanded role is going to be alot of fun to watch as well. She may challenge some of Grimsrud's blocks records. We have some good freshman coming in as well. Will be interesting to see how it all comes together again, but lets enjoy this season first before we worry about next year too much

Comment

Yes, I would love to see these Jacks win 8 more times this season!

If they win 6 more, SDSU will become MECCA for the non-majors.

Comment

I think Boever will step up into Jenn's role--and next year's 'story' will be Maria & Abby. What I want Ketty to get out of these tournaments is confidence---as AJ's said, and as we all know--she's a great basketball player, period. We just need her to play that way without overthinking things.

Who is Abby?
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                            Who is Abby?
                            D'oh! Gabby.

Anyway, something like 8 consecutive years of Boevers. Not as much of a story, but as people outside the region start asking 'how does he do it?' that'll come probably come up.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                              Yes, I would love to see these Jacks win 8 more times this season!

If they win 6 more, SDSU will become MECCA for the non-majors.

I would love to see them win 9 more times. 3 in the Summit and 6 in the NCAA.

Comment

D'oh! Gabby.

Anyway, something like 8 consecutive years of Boevers. Not as much of a story, but as people outside the region start asking 'how does he do it?' that'll come probably come up.
                                Gabby won't be here until 2010 as she is a current high school junior. She will come in the year after Maria graduates as Maria is a current junior at SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X