2010 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Recruiting

I think the rating services are pretty arbitruary whether local/regional or national, but when your talking about top 10 in a state with the talent of Minnesota those are some pretty good players being sought by major and mid-major programs. One thing is certain good players in a program attract more good players. A player may be rated #30 in the state, but if she has the physical and mental skill set that a program is seeking than it's all random. One thing is for sure if you look at what SDSU is looking for it goes well beyond # of points and where a player is rated. There seems to be certain intangibles that each of these recruits has that isn't always defined in a scouting service.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      I think the rating services are pretty arbitruary whether local/regional or national, but when your talking about top 10 in a state with the talent of Minnesota those are some pretty good players being sought by major and mid-major programs. One thing is certain good players in a program attract more good players. A player may be rated #30 in the state, but if she has the physical and mental skill set that a program is seeking than it's all random. One thing is for sure if you look at what SDSU is looking for it goes well beyond # of points and where a player is rated. There seems to be certain intangibles that each of these recruits has that isn't always defined in a scouting service.
      Great post JACKGUYII as I agree totally.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        Just wondering, what's the highest ranked recruit we've gotten from Minn. since they've been ranking thier prep players?
        I think the top 5 or six usually go to big time conferences, Big ten, big east , acc, etc...
        Maria was the class 3A player of the year,but if I remember right was not in the top 5 or 6 over-all.However in Minnnesota,if you are not from the metro area,it is tough to be ranked really high.In the last rankings I saw for the 09/10 class,Gabby was somewhere in the teens.

Comment

Getting letters as a freshman or sophomore means that a college sends one questioner letter, (name, address, etc..) thats it. If anyone that age is looking for a phone call from a D1 or D11 coach at that grade level, it can't happen. Parents/players can call the coach, but the coach can not call the parents/players until April of junior year.

Being a star at the smallest division in Minnesota is not necessarily a big deal. It will be interesting to see if she is playing on an AAU team or see her play against a good team. That is what coaches will be looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Maria was the class 3A player of the year,but if I remember right was not in the top 5 or 6 over-all.However in Minnnesota,if you are not from the metro area,it is tough to be ranked really high.In the last rankings I saw for the 09/10 class,Gabby was somewhere in the teens.
            The only person who has the qualifications to rank players in Minnesota is Kevin Anderson www.kjasr. He makes it a point to watch all the top players in Minnesota and beyond. My experiance is www.gprep is all about metro kids and their rankings mean little.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamPlayer View Post
              Getting letters as a freshman or sophomore means that a college sends one questioner letter, (name, address, etc..) thats it. If anyone that age is looking for a phone call from a D1 or D11 coach at that grade level, it can't happen. Parents/players can call the coach, but the coach can not call the parents/players until April of junior year.

Being a star at the smallest division in Minnesota is not necessarily a big deal. It will be interesting to see if she is playing on an AAU team or see her play against a good team. That is what coaches will be looking for.
              Is there an echo?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Jacks have offer out to another Minnesota Prep according to the Star Tribune:

Other recruiting notes
                • Centennial's Megan Waytashek has become one of the state's top basketball recruits. She is considering scholarship offers from Creighton, Drake, Minnesota and South Dakota State. And she is looking at six additional programs, including Michigan and Northwestern. She plans to announce her choice in July. Waytashek, a 6-2 guard/forward, averaged 12.5 points for the Cougars, who lost the Class 4A championship game to Minneapolis South.

http://gprep.net/204rankings_waytashek_megan.html
                Well University of Minnesota received two verbal commitments for the 2010 class in the past two days. That leaves them with only one scholarship remaining. It is my understanding that the UofM is looking for a post player for the remaining scholarship. That would mean that Waytashek would have to play D-1 basketball outside the state of Minnesota. I would think that would improve SDSU's chances of getting her as a recruit.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Centennial HS (2010) Megan Waytashek will be heading to SDSU. I saw her play in AAU ball last summer (also an AAU teammate of Leah Dietel) and three times this past high school season. She has gotten better and better. Good job staff getting this young lady!

http://www.kjasr.com
                  Last edited by JamesJacks; 07-20-2009, 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link

Comment

Anytime you can get a 6'2 swing player who had an offer from the Gophers, that's a good thing! Jacks lookin' to be strong for the future.

Comment

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

Megan's Minnesota Star team just won the Championship of a Major AAU tournament. Some good video and commentary about her defensive prowess! This is quite a pick-up for the Jacks.

http://gprep.net/

Comment

We have discussed the subjective rankings systems for recruits and the bias towards the Twin City area however #4 in the 2010 class is impressive and obviously we got a very recruit in Megan.

http://gprep.net/200rankings.html

Comment

I believe we can close the book on 2010 recruiting. Some pretty good instate players still out there.

Comment

I'm torn---should you make more out of the fact that this player chose SDSU over the Gophs, or that it's not a big surprise that she did?

Comment

I think this is a big deal that a recruit chose the Jacks over the Gophers. I don't know of any other player beinig recruited head to head with a major conference school that has done this before. To me, I think this sends a big signal to future recruits that this program is the one that is on the rise and gives you the best chance of ADVANCING deep in the NCAA's, not just getting to them. Big step to me.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                                I think this is a big deal that a recruit chose the Jacks over the Gophers. I don't know of any other player beinig recruited head to head with a major conference school that has done this before. To me, I think this sends a big signal to future recruits that this program is the one that is on the rise and gives you the best chance of ADVANCING deep in the NCAA's, not just getting to them. Big step to me.
                                I hope you mean....first for the jacks going head to head with a big 10 school.....lower level major conference schools get beat by solid mid majors programs....
                                Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                                Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X