Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    Now that this class is full can somebody sum up the 3 players names, heights, home towns, etc... in 1 thread so we can see it without reading all 12 pages?
    Thanks!
    Gabrielle Boever 5'8" Guard from Worthington HS in Worthington, MN
    Megan Waytashek 6'2" Forward from Centennial HS in Circle Pines, MN
    Hannah Strop 6'0" Forward from New Prague HS in New Prague, MN

Comment

Not impressed that AJ didn't sign any SD kids....mark my words, there will be less and less SD kids there going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by basketballfaithful View Post
        Not impressed that AJ didn't sign any SD kids....mark my words, there will be less and less SD kids there going forward.
        Whoa there....AJ has always gone after (and usually gotten) the best players SD has to offer. Just because for one small recruiting class there aren't any SD'ers doesn't mean this is going to be the trend. Go back and look at the rosters since AJ has been coach and look at the roster for this year and years to come....plenty of SD if you ask me.

In summary, yes I will mark your words.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

So because we didn't sign any SD kids in one class that means SDSU won't sign any going forward? Did you not notice that Rachel Walters from SF Washington signed for the 2011 class and we had 4 recruits from SD this year? Or that the men signed 3 from SD for this season and have another future recruit from SD locked up as well?

Comment

What are you basing this statement on? The '09 class is full of SD kids- Heiser, Lingle, Paluch, and Eide. I'm sure there have been other years in the past where we have not had many/any recruits from SD. Talent levels vary from year to year and state to state. We already have a verbal from one of the best in SD in the '11 class in Walters.

Comment

Is someone feeling slighted that their daughter, relative or friend didn't get an offer?
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

AJ obviously wasn't that impressed with what the 2010 recruiting class SD had to offer.
                I'm sure that won't mean there will be less and less SD kids playing for him. If they can play high-end D-1 basketball AJ will find and offer them...if they can't he won't....SD kid or wherever.

Man...what is this...2003 again??
                That was one of my favorite "against SDSU going D-1 arguement"..."There won't be any SD kids playing for SDSU anymore."

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Last year was an extremely talented year for Div. I talent in state....5 kids....This years class is very limited as far Div. I....and those 2 (IMO) are lower level kids....I'm sure the poster would be happy with AJ and the team direction and have a 10 or so loss team with SD kids....rather than have AJ get the best talent that "he" thinks fits the program and direction it is going....It is the coaches responsibility to the university to put the best athletes that he/she can assemble on the team to represent the university.....wherever they may be from.....I remember Ling, McDonald, Winzenberg, Walker.....and the great team Zulk had assembled....What SD towns were they from....From my point of view and most others AJ is doing a fantastic job...and get the kids you need from wherever they may reside...
                  Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                  Muhammad Ali

Comment

Your words are marked. Now, if your wrong what is the consequence? If your right what does that mean?
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You have to remember, AJ is looking for players who fit into his system of play. There might have been SD players he was looking at but the 3 MN players just fit better.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I don't think you can argue with AJ not getting any SD kids. Despite the success of last season, he probably could have went further out of his recruiting pipeline, but he stayed within his pipeline. We've had a lot of good players from Minnesota to play at SDSU in AJ's era. If anything, coaches will notice the success AJ's had with the South Dakota players and other coaches will recruit SD heavily. But when its all said and done, if there's a D-I prospect in South Dakota, AJ will land them unless they have high conference potential.

Just one question. Who should've been on our radar in South Dakota?

Comment

Early in Jim Thorson's men's basketball coaching career (1985-1993) he placed an emphasis on recruiting South Dakota players. Nice idea but we weren't very good ... when you are not very good, no one comes to the games ... when no one comes to the games, revenue drops and image declines ... when that happens, look out. I hope AJ and all our coaches don't recruit marginal kids "because they are from South Dakota." I want coaches who recruit the best kids available. That's how it works best.

Comment

I think a lot of University's have lost thier identity as far as local student athletes are concerned, i think we're a lot better in that regard than a lot of University's that don't even carry one player on thier roster from thier home state.

Comment

Originally posted by JackMan View Post
                              I don't think you can argue with AJ not getting any SD kids. Despite the success of last season, he probably could have went further out of his recruiting pipeline, but he stayed within his pipeline. We've had a lot of good players from Minnesota to play at SDSU in AJ's era. If anything, coaches will notice the success AJ's had with the South Dakota players and other coaches will recruit SD heavily. But when its all said and done, if there's a D-I prospect in South Dakota, AJ will land them unless they have high conference potential.

Just one question. Who should've been on our radar in South Dakota?
                              The only other two I can think of with potential DI talent in Class of 2010 are Carsey Barden of Sturgis and Shaunteva Ashley of Roosevelt. Can't get them all and I'm sure those two will find a nice situation somewhere as they can play!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                                Early in Jim Thorson's men's basketball coaching career (1985-1993) he placed an emphasis on recruiting South Dakota players. Nice idea but we weren't very good ... when you are not very good, no one comes to the games ... when no one comes to the games, revenue drops and image declines ... when that happens, look out. I hope AJ and all our coaches don't recruit marginal kids "because they are from South Dakota." I want coaches who recruit the best kids available. That's how it works best.
                                Not so, he had several from Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota? Was Chris White a South Dakota kid?

I know for a fact that Coach Thorson was not hung up on SD kids, but rather interested in finding the best players out there. I think most of the current coaches are on that wave length, but they have higher standards in both academic and athletic requirements, and the zip code starting with 57 is the last concern of our coaches I would think.

Comment

Working...
                                X