Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Ashley seems like a very talented player for a quality high school program, but doesn't have a college scholarship offer even from local D2 or NAIA schools, let alone the area D1 schools.

Seems odd to me.
    They did bring up a good point about WBB teams being very guard heavy. She is a great person to perhaps offer as a walk-on with a chance to earn a schollie.

Athletic guards with strong leadership abilities are a welcome addition to any team.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      They did bring up a good point about WBB teams being very guard heavy. She is a great person to perhaps offer as a walk-on with a chance to earn a schollie.

Athletic guards with strong leadership abilities are a welcome addition to any team.
      Simple demographics. More people are shorter than taller. Therefore you have more athletic, smaller people than athletic taller people.

That's why really good true centers in basketball are so rare and so highly pursued by college coaches . . . there just aren't that many of them. Most teams can find at least one halfway-decent guard, but finding someone down low for that guard to get the ball to with regularity is another thing entirely.

(I think SDSU's "system" is that AJ recruits a whole bunch of really, really good guards, rotates the taller ones through the post, and has them run up and down the court with superior effort/energy until the other team's tongues are hanging out. Then you win by 20 most of the time. If you add an athletic true forward/center or two to that mix and keep the rest of it humming along, you've got a legitimate Top-25 D-I women's basketball team.)
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Simple demographics. More people are shorter than taller. Therefore you have more athletic, smaller people than athletic taller people.

That's why really good true centers in basketball are so rare and so highly pursued by college coaches . . . there just aren't that many of them. Most teams can find at least one halfway-decent guard, but finding someone down low for that guard to get the ball to with regularity is another thing entirely.

(I think SDSU's "system" is that AJ recruits a whole bunch of really, really good guards, rotates the taller ones through the post, and has them run up and down the court with superior effort/energy until the other team's tongues are hanging out. Then you win by 20 most of the time. If you add an athletic true forward/center or two to that mix and keep the rest of it humming along, you've got a legitimate Top-25 D-I women's basketball team.)
        This is why I am so excited to see Jennie S develop. She could end up being one of the best. Who knows, we may have a couple inside players that rival the names of the past.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Apparently the statement in the Argus Leader we incorrectly written. Sounds like that list of school have made offers.

I found this about Ashley on south dakota sports talk:
          http://sdsportstalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7839

TAKEN off of sdsportalk.com:

Does anyone know her folks?
          http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100128/SPORTS0103/1280303

What a great artilce in this morning paper and well deserved.

I'm friends w/her folks and the report misreported as all the schools they listed have made her an offer and "are on the table". However Valpo has asked her to fly out there and visit, they came and watched her play, they have not made an offical offer but will once she gets there. Other Div schools have that are not as close to home and she said no thank you (ex. Southern Utah).

This article should make other young girls want to work hard.

Way to to Shaunteva

Comment

Shaunteva and her Roosevelt teamates play Mitchell on Argus site:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/9...mplate=mogulus

Comment

Ashley checks out of the game with 6 minutes in the 4th and 27 points against Mitchell. IMHO she is the best player in the class of 2010 in South Dakota. Is that good enough to earn a DI scholarship I don't know. Did we take too many (3) 5'9 guards out of the state in 2009?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Ashley checks out of the game with 6 minutes in the 4th and 27 points against Mitchell. IMHO she is the best player in the class of 2010 in South Dakota. Is that good enough to earn a DI scholarship I don't know. Did we take too many (3) 5'9 guards out of the state in 2009?
                I don't think so, but you never know.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  Have you watched HS Basketball in the state this year, worst talent level in probably a decade if not more.....while she is a nice player....there is no one to play against.
                  Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                  Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                    Have you watched HS Basketball in the state this year, worst talent level in probably a decade if not more.....while she is a nice player....there is no one to play against.
                    I don't see it that way. As someone who has followed SD girls basketball over the past decades, this might one of the best years as far as individual talent goes. I think it comes down to SDSU got all their recruiting done early. With a scholarship open, some of the players they might have went for otherwise are committed. Hilary Paulson from Freeman probably would've been the best prospect to go after. A 6'0" guard, she will do some great things at MSU-Mankato.

If A.J. is looking for height, I'm guessing 6'2" Justine Blade from Rapid City Stevens (alma mater of former asst. Laurie Melum). Blade set a state record with 17 blocks in a game and has reached the 20 point mark multiple times this season. If I recall, the whole starting five from the Dakota Schoolers summer team have all signed with schools in the early period, with most of them at the Division II level. There are many more underclassmen in the state who are good this year and years to come.

Don't forget Walters, although a junior, at Washington (and SDSU commit). Just because Pierre and Brookings aren't the powerhouses they once were a few years ago, doesn't mean the whole state is down. It's just that other teams and players are getting better and maybe you need to watch more games.

Comment

Since you there is no "talent" for her to play against in SD (do not agree), what about MN? Worthington was rated 3rd in the state with one loss

Oh yeah, she had 13 rebounds also in that game!

http://www.dglobe.com/event/article/id/32378/

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — The Worthington girls’ basketball team didn’t have an answer for Shaunteva Ashley.
                      The senior guard on Sioux Falls Roosevelt’s girls’ basketball team scored a game-high 28 points, leading the Rough Riders to a 64-41 victory against Worthington Tuesday night.
                      Roosevelt, which is ranked as high as No. 1 in some polls, jumped out to a 23-9 lead after the first quarter and had a 39-15 lead at the break.
                      The Trojans trailed 55-29 after the third quarter, but outscored SF 12-9 in the final quarter.
                      Kayla Schroeder led Worthington (12-2) with 10 points. Kaitlin Gerber had nine points and six assists, while Kayla VanderVeen added eight points.
                      Martha Alwal had eight points, nine rebounds and two blocks, while Kristen Andersen had eight rebounds and blocked two shots.
                      SF had 59 total rebounds and 26 on the offensive end. The Trojans had a total of 29 rebounds.
                      The Trojans will host Southwest Conference foe Pipestone Area on Friday night.

Comment

Just don't see a place for Ashley, due to the other Ashley. Unlike the two Thomases on the football team, I think there's only room for one Ashley on the WBB team.

SDSU's also trading down a size when it comes to Boevers. 6' Maria is being replaced by 5'-9" Gabby.

And with Cala leaving, and the Jacks being a bit thin in the post otherwise (Jennie being the only consistent underclassman so far), I think AJ has to go for a post player.

Comment

What do you consider consistent?

Isn't 2010 recruit Hannah Strop a power forward type?

We need perimeter defenders and people who can take care of the ball first.

Comment

We need quick, ball handling, running quards who can cover and compete with Luper and Bigham for the next three years.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              We need quick, ball handling, running quards who can cover and compete with Luper and Bigham for the next three years.
                              That's what Ashley Eide, Gabby Boever, Tara Heiser and Steph Paluch were recruited for.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                                Agree 100%. Those two guards at Oral Roberts have to change the mindset of the rest of the conference to some degree (not totally) as to how they recruit. Because if you can't take care of the ball against those two, or defend those two, I'm afraid Oral Roberts could be the favorite until those two graduate.

Comment

Working...
                                X