2010 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

Shaunteva Ashley commits to Augustana, after "after turning down offers from several division one programs outside of South Dakota", according to Keloland. What I find the most interesting is that USD recently signed a JUCO, indicating that they had an open scholarship and they didn't extend an offer Ashley either. My guess is that perhaps a few out-of-state schools said she could walk-on. The best player in South Dakota IMO is Christian Janis, period. My sources tell me that she was advised by a Division I coach to go the juco route to see how she pans out (she didn't have the funds to play on a summer team at NCAA sanctioned events). So there you have it folks, the top remaining available players in the Class of 2010 from South Dakota will not be Jackrabbits this fall and perhaps not ever (they are welcome to grad. school, though!). Upward and onward to the Class of 2011!

Ashley verbal news footage: http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive...e=042310ashley

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
      Shaunteva Ashley commits to Augustana, after "after turning down offers from several division one programs outside of South Dakota", according to Keloland. What I find the most interesting is that USD recently signed a JUCO, indicating that they had an open scholarship and they didn't extend an offer Ashley either. My guess is that perhaps a few out-of-state schools said she could walk-on. The best player in South Dakota IMO is Christian Janis, period. My sources tell me that she was advised by a Division I coach to go the juco route to see how she pans out (she didn't have the funds to play on a summer team at NCAA sanctioned events). So there you have it folks, the top remaining available players in the Class of 2010 from South Dakota will not be Jackrabbits this fall and perhaps not ever (they are welcome to grad. school, though!). Upward and onward to the Class of 2011!

Ashley verbal news footage: http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive...e=042310ashley
      I agree with you're opinion of Christian Janis, besides scoring 28.8 points per game, she dished out 6.1 assists per game, had 96 steals and 11 blocked shots,plus 87 made three pointers,a record.I,m quite sure she can prove herself playing juco basketball,but where she ends up is anyones guess.I think it'll be div 1 ,somewhere, after 2 yrs playing juco.I wonder if one of these young women will be named miss basketball ,or does that make Carsey Barden(sp) a shoe in, since she's the only one who could secure a div 1 scholarship,(USD)
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-24-2010, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Argus leader story on Ashley:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...TS0103/4240302

As I stated before I'm very good friends with a close friend of the Ashley's, these were not offer to "walk on" they were offers to play they came out of offical visits. She put a lot of time and effort into her decision, and really weighed out what was important to her, going further away from home to play at the Division 1 schools (Drake the closest), or beign close to home, getting to play on a quality team and get a GREAT education paid for. I wish her all the luck in the world.

Also, as far as USD, and SDSU? (as I know there will be someone who will comment on that).

USD- SHE had no interest in (never did from what I was told, do not know why)
        SDSU- she and AJ talk alot and she knows what he told her and understood they are just to guard heavey right now, nothing to do w/she coudn't play there. (you ask him if he'd love to have had her on his team).

She & here family are happy w/her decision, guess that is what matters, I"m personally happy to contineu to watch her career, & at the same time nice to see that "just going D1" to say you did, doesn't always win out.

I hope we soon her about Janis too...would love for her to stay around her and get to watch her game a few more years also.

Comment

Looks like a good choice for Ashley. I hope it all works out for her and she has a great career in life after basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by basketballfaithful View Post
            SDSU- she and AJ talk alot and she knows what he told her and understood they are just to guard heavey right now, nothing to do w/she coudn't play there. (you ask him if he'd love to have had her on his team).
            Exactly. I think most of the posters with knowledge of the SDSU women's BB program been saying that ever since her name was brought up here. A few might have been trying to protect their ego by suggesting she wasn't "good enough" for SDSU.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, next time I talk to AJ I won't be asking about players that he wished he had on his team, just the great ones he has on his team.

Augie should have another solid team this year, I hope Ashley finds a role and can contribute early on in her career.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=5204199

An unsigned top 100 prospect? 5'9" guard with strength and speed? With her unique background, she does have some ties to South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=5204199

An unsigned top 100 prospect? 5'9" guard with strength and speed? With her unique background, she does have some ties to South Dakota.
                What are her South Dakota ties?
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                X