2010 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

My gut feeling is the programs been put on the fast track for success since it seems we are departing from the traditional method of recruiting HS seniors,which takes longer to develop the players, and going with the more immediate benefit of aquiring already seasoned juco's or difference makers.Maybe they think with just another "enhancement" added to next years team will allow us to advance further than we have at this point in time. Whatever way we go, the goals the same,it's just an accelerated pace.Does this make sense,or not?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      My gut feeling is the programs been put on the fast track for success since it seems we are departing from the traditional method of recruiting HS seniors,which takes longer to develop the players, and going with the more immediate benefit of aquiring already seasoned juco's or difference makers.Maybe they think with just another "enhancement" added to next years team will allow us to advance further than we have at this point in time. Whatever way we go, the goals the same,it's just an accelerated pace.Does this make sense,or not?
      I think AJ's idea of a difference maker is a player that will start and be a leader on a already good team. Or I guess you could say that it's a player that could go to a higher school but wants to come here to help SDSU get to the next step. I guess I haven't heard anything about a juco for the women's team. Are they looking for one? I'm sure if one falls in AJ's lap, he'll take one but I didn't hear he was looking for one.

Comment

Who is the last juco we had, if any?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
          Who is the last juco we had, if any?
          Right now it's just a rumor,i refer you back to post's #354 & 355 of this thread,i,m just saying if it happens that way, that we take a juco instead of a high school senior, it'd probably be to make a big push for the program, instead of the slower player development method ,where it takes a freshman ,or even sophomore player,a bit longer to get to the level of play that a juco might be at right off the bat.Maybe i'm a little too anxious to see who the difference maker is,i should quite guessing & just wait & see.Patience is not my strongest virtue.Sorry if you think i'm stating facts,as i confess i'm not.Hope that's cleared some of the confusion up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
            I watched Ashley on the SDPB archives during all three games at state. She can't go left. That might solve the "mystery" as to why SDSU has not extended an offer. Not trying to sound like I know-it-all, but I took a college coaching class with a Division II head coach and he said the first thing that they look for is whether a player can go both left and right, with at least a 60-40 ratio.

I can agree with you for the most part. Just being devil's advocate here:

It's men's basketball but Brett Winkelman couldn't go left in HS either.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              I can agree with you for the most part. Just being devil's advocate here:

It's men's basketball but Brett Winkelman couldn't go left in HS either.
              And consequently he had one Div 1 offer from a school with no chance for post seaon play for 4 years.

Thats a big difference from a top 50 program (like our women's basketball team IS), that has expectations to be in post season play every year. Ashley seems like a pretty good player, but she doesn't appear to be a can't miss prospect that we have to have. We really need to add another big with the extra scholorship unless a can't miss opportunity knocks on our door.

Comment

I guess until Christian Janis signs a LOI , i guess I'll keep singing her praises.I think the reason i MIGHT be "enamored" with her play, is, the more you try to stop her, the more she comes at you.Challengeing you to do just that ,...stop her, more times than not, they can't. I admire that in any player,any sport,the"you can't stop me if you try " attitude.I see that in Macy too, just to be honest about it.
                I think that's one of the "intangibles" (SP) that good recruiters have to have an instinct for,not just raw talent, but how much "heart" does a player have?That might be all the difference needed in a game between two evenly matched teams....who has the most desire to win?That's what we've been good at,recruiting "winners".We put women on the court that are "winners",that's the difference between top 50 rpi and the rest,whose got the most of those type players.I think we made a believer out of Oklahoma's coach and a few other's who,ve seen the desire to win up close in our womens basketball team.I take pride in that,being a jackrabbit fan.
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

jackdaniel...Just a question here...Does that make her a necessary recruit for SDSU in your opinion?

Comment

jackdaniel...Just a question here...Does that make her a necessary recruit for SDSU in your opinion?
                    No, not necessarily a "must".Just that type of player must continue to be a "must".If that makes any sense.
                    She's just got so many ways to beat you, be it stealing the ball,making a great assist, or scoring, either from 3 pt arch or taking it to the hoop.She's the Danny Batten if you will of women's hoops,her motor is alway's running.She never quits,never.I don't care if it's Christian ,Shaunteva, or Gabi ,or whoever,as long as they have these qaulity's.I do think she's a Megan Vogel type "make things happen " type player.Wether or not that fits the type of offense AJ wants to run would determine wether or not she would be a good fit for our team or not.That's for head coaches to decide.It's thier responsibility to choose thier players,because it's them who get the heat for a losing team,so,no one else should try & influence thier decision, they,ve got enough pressure on them as it is, unless you're UConn,& get the best players in the land each & every year.That's why i don't think he ever deserves coach of the year,really....who couldn't win with the best players each & every year,C'mon.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-16-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

No, not necessarily a "must".Just that type of player must continue to be a "must".If that makes any sense.
                      She's just got so many ways to beat you, be it stealing the ball,making a great assist, or scoring, either from 3 pt arch or taking it to the hoop.She's the Danny Batten if you will of women's hoops,her motor is alway's running.She never quits,never.I don't care if it's Christian ,Shaunteva, or Gabi ,or whoever,as long as they have these qaulity's.I do think she's a Megan Vogel type "make things happen " type player.Wether or not that fits the type of offense AJ wants to run would determine wether or not she would be a good fit for our team or not.That's for head coaches to decide.It's thier responsibility to choose thier players,because it's them who get the heat for a losing team,so,no one else should try & influence thier decision, they,ve got enough pressure on them as it is, unless you're UConn,& get the best players in the land each & every year.That's why i don't think he ever deserves coach of the year,really....who couldn't win with the best players each & every year,C'mon.
                      I am amazed at how much discussion there has been on this board about Shaunteva. And as far as I know, of the three names listed above, it will be Gabi who will have those qualities at SDSU because she's the one who is going to be a Jackrabbit.

Also, I want to first say I am not a Geno fan myself, but you have to give credit where credit is due. I am not saying I totally disagree with you with your comment, but I also know there are many more/different challenges that go with coaching such talented players. You have to gets some of those stars to play roles and he does a very good job of that. Controlling egos can be very challenging.

Comment

I am amazed at how much discussion there has been on this board about Shaunteva. And as far as I know, of the three names listed above, it will be Gabi who will have those qualities at SDSU because she's the one who is going to be a Jackrabbit.

Also, I want to first say I am not a Geno fan myself, but you have to give credit where credit is due. I am not saying I totally disagree with you with your comment, but I also know there are many more/different challenges that go with coaching such talented players. You have to gets some of those stars to play roles and he does a very good job of that. Controlling egos can be very challenging.
                        I have said all along that if AJ thought that Ashley or any other area player ( and I'm sure the coaching staff has seen and evaluated them ) could make a significant contribution to the program that they would have already been signed. There are countless very good players in the area who are good leaders and have great character,but that doesn't mean that they are the right fit for this program

Comment

who couldn't win with the best players each & every year,C'mon.
                          Locally, with AJ, you see the same thing that Geno does nationally.

Yes, Geno has his pick of the best players in the country, but he chooses well. He chooses players that he can mold into a winning team.

On a regional level, AJ is doing the same thing. AJ may have his pick of the best players on a regional (as opposed to a national) level, and the skill there is selecting players that he can win with.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I have said all along that if AJ thought that Ashley or any other area player ( and I'm sure the coaching staff has seen and evaluated them ) could make a significant contribution to the program that they would have already been signed. There are countless very good players in the area who are good leaders and have great character,but that doesn't mean that they are the right fit for this program
                            It just seems strange that a lot of good players haven't signed a LOI yet, like they've been told a scholarship might come if so & so might turn it down first.There's a lot of wheeling & dealing that goes on behind the scenes that we do not know about.I think the best way to end speculation would just to be , if you're going to save this scholarship for next year, just announce it.Maybe they just wait to see if anyone else offers a prospect first to force thier hand into offering,allowing them to go after somebody while feeling confident they can still get this player later....lot's of things go into recruiting and it's not alway's as it seems.Remember, there's only one scholarship,& numerous prospects, you don't want to offer to soon & lose out on someone a little better,but you don't want to lose out on everyone either.it's a calculated risk sometimes.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-18-2010, 11:36 AM.

Comment

It just seems strange that a lot of good players haven't signed a LOI yet, like they've been told a scholarship might come if so & so might turn it down first.There's a lot of wheeling & dealing that goes on behind the scenes that we do not know about.I think the best way to end speculation would just to be , if you're going to save this scholarship for next year, just announce it.Maybe they just wait to see if anyone else offers a prospect first to force thier hand into offering,allowing them to go after somebody while feeling confident they can still get this player later....lot's of things go into recruiting and it's not alway's as it seems.Remember, there's only one scholarship,& numerous prospects, you don't want to offer to soon & lose out on someone a little better,but you don't want to lose out on everyone either.it's a calculated risk sometimes.
                              I do not find it strange at all that they haven't signed a LOI with a D1 school. Why? Because it's becoming more and more clear as time goes on (and as many have stated in this thread) that they are probably not D1 players, or they don't fit what SDSU or other D1 area schools want.

Plus, AJ's usually had his recruiting classes done very earlier than later so I would guess this scholarship will be used for the next class.

Comment

I was hoping we could find some help this year for that last scholarship in the Juco or High School ranks as I think the team will need more depth in the paint to be successful. Looks like that scholarship will be used in 2011 instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X