Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Along with this, everyone seems to agree that we have great young ment playing on our team. I don't see how they would be anything but a positive influence on him.
    +++

Cody would be coming on to a team with 4 seniors who have, as far as we know, been model citizens and represented SDSU well. They would have a much greater influence (along with Coach Nagy & staff) on Cody than the other way around.

Also, I've never heard anywhere that Cody was a bad teammate, so that is complete speculation unless you have some inside information (which could still be just be an isolated opinion). Problems off the court does not always mean problems on the court or in the locker room. Same can be said about lack of "off the court" problems.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Jill Young signed a LOI and Creighton would not release her from that commitment. It's quite possible (and probably likely) that Donovan will release Cody. How would that release affect Cody's eligibility? I'm not even going to pretend to know.

SDSU_Dad, the poster who got this train going, said they were trying to work out some details yet. I wonder if that would have to do with eligibility and the NCAA?

Lastly, I don't know if it's really not right to compare Cody to say, Andre Gilbert (or a number of other players/issues from 2004-2006). Back then the DI program was in it's infancy and struggling. We were relying a lot more heavily on Andre Gilbert, et al. than we would be counting on Cody. I see Cody as a small risk, high reward situation.

He comes in and does well and lives up to his potential, we have a steal. If he screws up and we let him go and we are right back to where we would have been anyway. Hell it looks like we may not even have to burn a scholarship on him.

To the posters that don't think we should take the chance. Care to explain your reasoning? I agree there needs to be caution, but I trust the coaching staff has addressed many concerns already.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        To the posters that don't think we should take the chance. Care to explain your reasoning?
        I see a grand total of one post in this thread which was unambiguously negative.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From Vandrovec's blog:
          Former Roosevelt High standout forward Cody Larson was spotted in Brookings on Saturday, attending the SDSU men’s basketball game with his sister, Wagner, a member of the Jacks volleyball team. Dakota Schoolers director Paul Seville said that Larson, formerly a player and currently at student at the University of Florida, has no plans for his basketball future right now and was back in the area to visit family.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I see a grand total of one post in this thread which was unambiguously negative.
            Might want to check out the link RabbitObsessed posted.

Comment

Might want to check out the link RabbitObsessed posted.
              Originally posted by filbert View Post
              There's a reason why that other thread was closed, you know.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

Broman probably found a way to score 40 points from the seats at Frost on Saturday. I'll look into it.
                TOTAL thread drift here, but your statement reminded me of a high school story. I competed in the mid/late 80's against Dell Rapids and they had a big man - Jay Pohlman who was big but a little clumsy, hence he didn't get a lot of PT. His teammates told the story of the day in practice that Jay was screwing around taking half court shots and such, the coach hollered "Jay - practice the shots you'll take in a game." Jay walked over to the bench, sat down and chucked one up from the bench. He was a 'hoot'!!!

Comment

Jill Young signed a LOI and Creighton would not release her from that commitment. It's quite possible (and probably likely) that Donovan will release Cody. How would that release affect Cody's eligibility? I'm not even going to pretend to know.

I believe the only difference is that a release makes it possible to accept scholarship money right away. Not getting a release means that you have to pay your own way for the year you sit out. It has no effect on the time you need to sit out to be eligible

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    I believe the only difference is that a release makes it possible to accept scholarship money right away. Not getting a release means that you have to pay your own way for the year you sit out. It has no effect on the time you need to sit out to be eligible
                    I think that is wrong. If you are not released you cannot accept scholarship money right away and have to sit out an extra year. If you are released, you can accept scholarship right away and only have to sit out 1 yer.

Everything SDSU_Dad has said is creditable in my eyes, and I believe what he said. My guess is Cody and the team won't make any decision until they know what the entire situation is though. So my guess is both are somewhat correct. Essentially I have no plans as of right now, but if the situation turns out ok, it is quite possible that I will be, etc.

As far as what can happen. Here is the way I look at it.

1. You won't find a big man of Larson's talent/style to come to SDSU unless he has baggage
                    2. It is high reward
                    3. I won't say its low risk. Anyone who has played a team sport knows that 1 wrong piece can really screw something up, its not just if he gets into trouble, its more if he doesn't fit/jell with current players

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Being a Jackrabbit probably would be great for Cody. I agree that good coaches and good team mates would be a positive influence. Meanwhile, just the possibility of him becoming a Jackrabbit has us hard-core fans worked up and excited. Regardless of whether he's got one year or two years left to play, scholarship or no scholarship, I'd welcome him to SDSU.
                      There you go! Exactly how and what we should be said about Cody wanting to be a Jackrabbit. The possiblility of Cody becoming a Jackrabbit should have Jacks fans excited - not negative or questioning the coach's choice about bringing him in. Can you imagine how negative and the lamb - basting (sp) some people would be putting on Cody if he would have chosen USD! As far as I am concerned Cody can play on my Jackrabbit team anytime.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I think that is wrong. If you are not released you cannot accept scholarship money right away and have to sit out an extra year. If you are released, you can accept scholarship right away and only have to sit out 1 yer.

Everything SDSU_Dad has said is creditable in my eyes, and I believe what he said. My guess is Cody and the team won't make any decision until they know what the entire situation is though. So my guess is both are somewhat correct. Essentially I have no plans as of right now, but if the situation turns out ok, it is quite possible that I will be, etc.

As far as what can happen. Here is the way I look at it.

1. You won't find a big man of Larson's talent/style to come to SDSU unless he has baggage
                        2. It is high reward
                        3. I won't say its low risk. Anyone who has played a team sport knows that 1 wrong piece can really screw something up, its not just if he gets into trouble, its more if he doesn't fit/jell with current players
                        He did play w/ White, Carlson, Hortsman, and Jacobsen w/ the Schoolers. I am in the crowd of "if it happens, it happens".

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

If that were true,Jill would have had to sit out two years. Release or not,I don't think anyone would have to sit more than one season.

Comment

First of all Cody has been released from scholarship so it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure on what the entire rule is, you might be right that you can join, but you cannot accept scholarship money and have to enroll before contacting the coaches.

This is the issue where Cody Larson would have to sit out another year.

"As a general rule, the transfer student is required to serve an "academic year-in-residence" at the
                            second institution prior to competing." --- its from a published report from the University of Washington

However I have been reading possible exemptions to the sit out rule. He could get a waiver because he is leaving a top ranked team, for a lesser team, moving closer to home, and has sat out already. At the same time, the NCAA has really cracked down in the last 12 months on transfers, and made it much tougher to get the release.

Comment

Maybe it is just me but, If he comes - I'll cheer for him, if he doesn't - best of luck to him. Seems to me that a lot of people without many facts are arguing about something that may or may not happen, when there is ton of basketball yet to be played this season. The best player in SDSU history is in the home stretch enjoy it. We will have the whole off season to speculate about next year's team - or maybe the team after that since no one seems to know or is willing to go find out. just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                                Maybe it is just me but, If he comes - I'll cheer for him, if he doesn't - best of luck to him. Seems to me that a lot of people without many facts are arguing about something that may or may not happen, when there is ton of basketball yet to be played this season. The best player in SDSU history is in the home stretch enjoy it. We will have the whole off season to speculate about next year's team - or maybe the team after that since no one seems to know or is willing to go find out. just my 2 cents
                                I second the motion. Let's enjoy the season that the Jacks have brought us this year. Should something evolve from the brief exposure this young man had over the past weekend, we can embrace that as needed.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X