2013 Recruiting List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Doesn't seem fair that he would have to sit considering he wasn't on scholarship at Florida any longer. The NCAA has some odd rules, it would be nice to see the kid get a chance to prove himself. I would LOVE for it to be at State. I think Nagy would be very good for him.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      How many new posts will reflect different opinions than previos posts?
      I agree with Goon. Not Many. Vocal minority didn't want him to be a Jackrabbit, and even most of them would probably defer to Nagy's endorsement.

I think the consensus is that, if he behaves himself, he is welcome on the team.

Personally, I find this a low risk, high reward scenario. I would love for us to give him an opportunity.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Is this thread where all this wild speculation on Larson belongs?

Last I checked he isn't a 2013 recruit...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          Is this thread where all this wild speculation on Larson belongs?Last I checked he isn't a 2013 recruit...
          Yes, it was posted that him and Broman were at the game. But Larson could very well be a 2013 recruit if he joins the team next year
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            He was taken off scholarship this year, was going to Walk-On, but ultimately decided to sit out.
            Perhaps you know better than I, but did he make that decision prior to the official start of practice? I don't know how the NCAA does these things, but if he played any part of this season with Florida I would assume it would count against his eligiblity? October (when the argus article detailed why he wasn't on scholarship anymore) seems like it might fall in the season. TV tweeted that he was leaving around 10/26. Men's practice usually starts around the middle of October, if I'm not mistaken.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

From what I can tell via media reports, Larson's scholarship at Florida was pulled last spring. He planned to walk on in Gainesville this academic year, but reportedly decided to transfer on or around Oct. 26, 2012. He apparently practiced with the Gators for two weeks before deciding to leave Florida. Needless to say he did not appear in any games for Florida this year.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

He practiced, and has not transferred to another school yet (as far as I know) which means he has to sit out a year once joining the new program. The transfer rule isn't once you quit the team, its once you enroll in the new school. Remember Jill Young situation, she left Creighton, didn't even go to school, but since she had set foot on campus she was officially there. Its confusing, I wouldn't say its unfair though.

And its a really unique system, and its far from certainty that he will join the Jacks, my guess is that they are dealing with the NCAA right now to figure out what the exact situation would be. He won't hurt the Jacks any (they need size), but how many minutes has he played in the last 4 years? played little his senior year, red shirted, played little, hasn't played this year, probably will have to sit out next year. So i'm a little skeptical on him being a big impact player.

Comment

If there ever was a year that we could use a 6'9, 230 pound big man 2013 would be it. That would sure take some big pressure off Heemstra and Devine. It certainly seems to be worth a try if Nagy is interested. The upside potential is huge.

Of course, 2013 might not be an option....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    He practiced, and has not transferred to another school yet (as far as I know) which means he has to sit out a year once joining the new program. The transfer rule isn't once you quit the team, its once you enroll in the new school. Remember Jill Young situation, she left Creighton, didn't even go to school, but since she had set foot on campus she was officially there. Its confusing, I wouldn't say its unfair though.

And its a really unique system, and its far from certainty that he will join the Jacks, my guess is that they are dealing with the NCAA right now to figure out what the exact situation would be. He won't hurt the Jacks any (they need size), but how many minutes has he played in the last 4 years? played little his senior year, red shirted, played little, hasn't played this year, probably will have to sit out next year. So i'm a little skeptical on him being a big impact player.
                    Jill's a poor example. She signed a LOI and was enrolled in summer school.

I do agree that he wont hurt the Jacks.lol I don't care how many minutes he's played, love to have him be a Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      Jill's a poor example. She signed a LOI and was enrolled in summer school.

I do agree that he wont hurt the Jacks.lol I don't care how many minutes he's played, love to have him be a Jack.
                      It's not that simple.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        It's not that simple.
                        No it's not that simple but they are different situations so it's tough to compare them. For everybody complaining about minutes, he could play JUCO next year and transfer to SDSU to after next year if he doesn't get a waiver so he could easily get playing time somewhere if he went that route
                        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

It's not that simple.
                          Never said it was

Comment

It's not that simple.
                            Our program has a ton of momentum right now. Why should we take a chance on someone that could single handidly bring it back down? I don't care if we need a big man or not, I'm not sold. If this happens and it goes awry, it should all fall on Nagy's shoulders.

I can't believe this is even being considered (if it even is). I'm all for second chances, but not at the risk of ruining what has been built over the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                              Our program has a ton of momentum right now. Why should we take a chance on someone that could single handidly bring it back down? I don't care if we need a big man or not, I'm not sold. If this happens and it goes awry, it should all fall on Nagy's shoulders.

I can't believe this is even being considered (if it even is). I'm all for second chances, but not at the risk of ruining what has been built over the past few years.
                              Single handedly bring it down? Can you explain what this one individual could do that would do that?
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                Single handedly bring it down? Can you explain what this one individual could do that would do that?
                                Do the words "cancer in the clubhouse" mean anything to you?

I'm not saying that Larson would be that. I don't know the man, I don't know where he's at, don't know if he's made the right choices since his series of not-so-good choices a while back.

But it doesn't strike me as being unreasonable to recognize this as a valid concern.

People can change. People do change. But also, people don't always change, and sometimes they fall back into bad old patterns rather than leaving them forever behind. Life's like that.

I'd hope the coaching staff would go slowly here, and do their due diligence to the best of their ability--assuming that the original rumor is anything more than just that.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X